Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

oregon title transfer

say, i guess i am lucky living up here in the rural sticks of n.w. oregon cause ive retitled 2 buses to motor home statis and i didnt even have to bring them to the d.m.v. i just waltzed on in told them i wanted to change the title to a motor home. they asked me if it had EATING-SLEEPING-AND COOKING facillities in it and i said yes mamm. oregon dont require no phisical inspection. YET !!!! whats all this weight and how many axel stuff. here they charge you like a hot dog -by the foot.costs me about 340.00 dallars every 2 years for a crown skoolie. 200 and something for my 20 foot int./ wayne. different states-different laws i guess.

westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
They don't "require" a physical examination at my local DMV office in Virginia, MN. I'm not sure if it is the same throughout the state, but they basically told me they don't want to go inspect it any more than I want them to come inspect it. There are a few categories and you have to have a certain number of items from each one (potable water, heat seperate from the engine, etc) much like your electives in college.

As for the cost of registration in Minnesota...we go by weight. Recreational vehicles are subject to the same tax schedule as commercial plates (Y-plates) and it goes in 3000 lbs increments. I have not yet re-registered mine as I'm waiting to finish the conversion and run across some scales to see how much it weighs. The fee schedule can be found on the link below.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/168/013.html

Any additional Minnesota State Statute can be found at this link.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/
Old 04-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Skoolie

bus title

ya they probably dont want to inspect it here either. i hadnt done anything to mine when i retitled it. kind of told a white lie i guess. they just want the money any how. they didnt even ask how much it weighed.maybe the states with big cities they are more finnicky.got to do what you got to do i guess. just got through putting a chrome steer horn hood orniment from j.c. whitney on the front of my crown :P looks pretty good actually. keep on bussin
Old 04-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

michigan doesn't charge by weight either.....here it goes by the worth of the vehicle....well let me back up a little, my bus is not titled as a motorhome, those plates are more expesive, rather my bus is simply titles as a non-commercial bus. My tags are less than 40 bucks per year, i don't have the exact figure in front of me. It's cheaper than my VW though.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Skoolie

bus title

40 bucks,heck thats great. i think it figures out about 10 dollars a foot in oregon. i told d.m.v. that my bus was 33 feet long. its actually more like 34 or 35 feet. i didnt want to be to far out of the relm if i got stopped. i do know its cheaper to buy insurance for my bus a month than my geo metro work car. maybe 18 or 19 dollars a month for liability for the bus, and its 25 or 28 something a month for my geo metro. i got it through gmac. and its insured all year long. not the seasonal insurance.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Here in Massachusetts "Camper" plates are $29 per year. I just presented the old title from the Hendrick Hudson Central School District with the RMV-1 application form and proof of insurance and they gave me plates.

There is the standard safety and emissions inspection within 2 week of registering, same as cars go through, but nothing to prove a conversion had been done.

Jake.