Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevy
Rated Cap: 65
PA insurance and Title info

Hi All,
I am from PA I read some say you can/should register your bus as a station wagon or passenger van.I caution against this. While in PA it is very legal to do so here’s the hiccup...insurance. For the underwriter to approve there are weight limitations a built out bus can’t meet unless properly called an RV. The nice man at DMV really was helpful. He gave me a blank body style correction form. I attached it. He highlighted the areas to have filled out before coming in. The form is MV-41 you can download it from DMV website. Bring it, your seller signed title and proof of insurance to the DMV and you will walk out hassle free with tags and new title in hand. For insurance John Mellish 7172852766 with Allstate got us moving.
There are a lot of people passing along information based in fear that falls way short of facts. Do not take shortcuts because just like our builds they come back to bite. We are not doing anything to hide, when we behave as though we are scrutiny follows. Thankfully here in PA we do not have some of the headaches our neighbors do.

JenniferWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I mean no disrespect, but registering a bus with a GVW that (if not an RV) would require a commercial driver's license as a van or station wagon seems deceptive...and I'm guessing the insurance company would feel the same way if there were a collision. I know you said "do not take shortcuts...they come back to bite." To my ears, this sounds like something that would very likely come back to bite someone. Am I missing something? Like I said, I mean no disrespect and I'm all for saving money...but not at the risk of finding out my insurance wasn't valid due to misrepresentation.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

The DMV and Insurance agents both said so long as it was private use CDL was not required even with the high weight. Both the agent and DMV have a copy of my license neither even when asked indicated more was required. The point of my post was not to misclassify and end up with an insurance nightmare. While legal if you register as station wagon or van your weight will in fact be to high to find an underwriter to insure you. If by chance you do find one, should you ever file a claim they could deny it based upon incorrect vehicle description.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Ah, my apologies then...I read the post as a suggestion to alter the listed weight and register under a lighter category. It sure read that way to me and I didn't want others to take that as a suggestion of something to do. Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #5

No worries I may need to reword I was trying to caution people from doing what may be legal but will still leave you exposed and create more work in the long run.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
registering a bus with a GVW that (if not an RV) would require a commercial driver's license as a van or station wagon seems deceptive...
That is **exactly** what OP advised against, you are just repeating the point they had aleady made quite eloquently.

Perfect illustration of "it takes two to communicate"
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:48 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That is **exactly** what OP advised against, you are just repeating the point they had aleady made quite eloquently.

Perfect illustration of "it takes two to communicate"

Yup, after the OP edited the post it is now quite clear...but the original post wasn't...hence my caution so others didn't take it as a suggestion. Perfect illustration of "not is all what it seems"... And, I meant that in a lighthearted way...trying to be jovial pre-coffee! And thanks to the OP for the edit. It's definitely more clear now!

Cheers to all and have a great weekend.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #8
Bus Geek

It was clear before the edits, but no worries, Happy Hannukah
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferWild View Post
Hi All,
I am from PA I read some say you can/should register your bus as a station wagon or passenger van.I caution against this. While in PA it is very legal to do so here’s the hiccup...insurance. For the underwriter to approve there are weight limitations a built out bus can’t meet unless properly called an RV. The nice man at DMV really was helpful. He gave me a blank body style correction form. I attached it. He highlighted the areas to have filled out before coming in. The form is MV-41 you can download it from DMV website. Bring it, your seller signed title and proof of insurance to the DMV and you will walk out hassle free with tags and new title in hand. For insurance John Mellish 7172852766 with Allstate got us moving.
There are a lot of people passing along information based in fear that falls way short of facts. Do not take shortcuts because just like our builds they come back to bite. We are not doing anything to hide, when we behave as though we are scrutiny follows. Thankfully here in PA we do not have some of the headaches our neighbors do.
Hi Jennifer!
This is helpful info, thank you! We just started the process of doing all the paperwork to get our bus legal on the streets in PA. (we're in Pottstown)
I will try your insurance guy- one question, what did you insure the bus as before you switched the title to RV?
I am reading on here to insure it as a commercial vehicle for personal use before the conversion is complete. (Right now our bus is fully gutted- nothing built inside yet) Any insight you have would be really helpful pertaining to how your bus was insured. Thanks so much!
Rachel
TheUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #10

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freighliner
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 36200
Hi Jennifer! My son lives in PA, has a bus he is trying to get legal, and your information on the insurance and MV-41 form were great! Would you be able to tell me what areas were highlighted on the form, so he can be sure he's not missing something (or giving information not needed?) You said it was attached, but I don't see anything but your text.
Thanks!
TrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #11

highlighted portion

have filled in, section B, under D fill in body type correct to motor home and odometer also unladen weight (take pic of metal factory sticker) and under E the GVWR again the metal sticker pic will help.