Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
"Cmon, show the goods. We wanna see your bus ! Start your own thread and post some pics.

Sometimes Insurance companies change their mind after granting policy on titled bus. Best of luck !
Pics coming soon! It's going to be a very slow conversion for me as I travel A LOT for work.

I went with Progressive's Commercial Policy inside of the individual route and from what I've read they won't drop you if you have a commercial policy. Here's to hoping anyways.

XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasquatch View Post
You can register and title a bus in PA as a station wagon! I just did it in march
WHAT!? Seriously? Do you have a link where I can research this more, or do you just go to title place and tell them you want to register your station wagon???
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBUNCEX View Post
WHAT!? Seriously? Do you have a link where I can research this more, or do you just go to title place and tell them you want to register your station wagon???
Yes seriously! Titled and registered as SW for $36 a year. I called the notary the day before I bought the bus to get a price and I was like ' I'm buying a bus to convert and I wanted to know' she cut me off and said 'your bus, or your station wagon?' I was like uhmm my station wagon? She laughed and said ok, $36 plus taxes.
It was super easy. No link or anything sorry.
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Pics coming soon! It's going to be a very slow conversion for me as I travel A LOT for work.

I went with Progressive's Commercial Policy inside of the individual route and from what I've read they won't drop you if you have a commercial policy. Here's to hoping anyways.
I also have progerssive commercial for 6 months now, no problems. Where are you at in PA? We're up in Hazleton by wilkes barre scranton
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I also have progerssive commercial for 6 months now, no problems. Where are you at in PA? We're up in Hazleton by wilkes barre scranton
I live in Pittsburgh but I work primarily in the Lancaster or Baltimore area for now.

Would you mind divulging which notary you used? I'm definitely willing to travel for a great service like that. Feel free to email me, baja79@hotmail.com

Also, did you have any issues getting it inspected with Station Wagon registration?
Old 08-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I live in Pittsburgh but I work primarily in the Lancaster or Baltimore area for now.

Would you mind divulging which notary you used? I'm definitely willing to travel for a great service like that. Feel free to email me, baja79@hotmail.com

Also, did you have any issues getting it inspected with Station Wagon registration?
It was ron's notary on Alter st in hazleton, pa. I havent got her inspected yet, but I did ask my regular guy if he could do it since it was basically registered as a car. Sadly he said no, because it weighed over 18K or some amount it would need to go to a truck station, and referred me to a friend of his. I don't see it being any issue.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

about to do the same thing in the same area Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantTaylor View Post
I just bought a 29FTR. It came to my mostly converted already.

Once I knew I was going to purchase it I got the VIN and called progressive commercial. Most insurance companies won't touch a converted school bus. I bought this bus for my touring band, we will probably only tour in it 1 to 3 times per year. So I basically said I'd only be using it a few times a year, and the rest of the time it would be stored in a lot. They did ask me if I'd be sleeping in it. I told them no. They ended up insuring it for about $40 a month limited liability.

When I bought it I drove it straight to an auto tag place.It was def a lot of hassle but in the end they registered it as an omni bus. My registration will be the normal $36 a year. At first they registered it by the weight which came out to over $500! I protested a bit, and thats when the questions started. What will I be using it for, is it a motor home, am I positive I won't be transporting children or senior citizens, all that jazz. I basically had to assure them I was not using it as a commercial vehicle. I also had to write a letter to Harrisburg saying that as well. They charge me $9 per seat in the bus. They came out and looked at it. Since most of the seats were already taken out I only paid for 4 seats.

So in the end it all worked out. it's def work to get things going but its worth it and a great learning experience. Next I have to get it inspected which I'm sure will be a whole new set of trouble!!!

TT
Hi! I just got a 72 passenger as well and we took all but 2 seats out. I want to do what you described. I am a singer and plan on touring too! I was hoping you might be able to tell me who you went through and their contact information? Given I live in the same area as you it would be a huge help to know where to go where they know how to do that. I would greatly appreciate it. Hoping your bus is doing well! Jynx
xoxo
Jynxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

what did they call it???

Quote:
Yes seriously! Titled and registered as SW for $36 a year. I called the notary the day before I bought the bus to get a price and I was like ' I'm buying a bus to convert and I wanted to know' she cut me off and said 'your bus, or your station wagon?' I was like uhmm my station wagon? She laughed and said ok, $36 plus taxes.
It was super easy. No link or anything sorry.

do you know how they had to do the title or the name of what they call what they did to register it / title it as a station wagon??? I am set to re-title and register this week and I need help!
Jynxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxie View Post
Hi! I just got a 72 passenger as well and we took all but 2 seats out. I want to do what you described. I am a singer and plan on touring too! I was hoping you might be able to tell me who you went through and their contact information? Given I live in the same area as you it would be a huge help to know where to go where they know how to do that. I would greatly appreciate it. Hoping your bus is doing well! Jynx
xoxo
Hey there! Heads up, another member from PA was touring with their band and got pulled over in PA, cops said they needed a CDL since they were a band, gave em a list of over 10 tickets, and impounded the bus. Just a warning! Our state sucks!! I was gonna message you too Tyler(Im James Allen Jr. on FB) and let you know to be careful! If you get pulled over tell em your traveling with friends, not a band!!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
do you know how they had to do the title or the name of what they call what they did to register it / title it as a station wagon??? I am set to re-title and register this week and I need help!
There was nothing special done at all, she just listed the body type as SW instead of bus.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

It was also an out of state title, NY, so no notary was needed to buy, just a bill of sale. I think maybe that made it easier for her, thinking about it now
Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I bought mine in NC and brought it over to PA on a temp tag.
Then I put the couple of things in to register it as a motor-home.
We needed a weight slip and after we talked with the inspector at the advanced inspection station wedecided to bring the gvwr back from 28000 to 26000. Just to avoid confusion with overzealous cops that would require a cdl. The inspection fee was about $160.
With that report we went to the tag place and registered it as a motor-home.

These procedures are so easy and so cheap ( imho) that is not worth taking risks with a $ 3000- $ 10000 vehicle especially not when an impound two fee is going to cost you a $ 1000.

The other problem is that if you push these loopholes in the law to far and to often they will close them up with pretty bad result from people that come afterwards. There are already forces working that like to eliminate skoolies and other alternative from the possibilities.

later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

You dont need a CDL in PA unless its for business.

If 26000 or more lbs, you DO NOT need a CDL, you DO need a class B non commercial endorsement added to your license.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
There was nothing special done at all, she just listed the body type as SW instead of bus.
Do you have her info so I can contact her rather than going through someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

tech glitching...

Quote:
It was ron's notary on Alter st in hazleton, pa. I havent got her inspected yet, but I did ask my regular guy if he could do it since it was basically registered as a car. Sadly he said no, because it weighed over 18K or some amount it would need to go to a truck station, and referred me to a friend of his. I don't see it being any issue.
Hi, just saw this post you did and realized my phone was glitching and I couldn't see the notary name before. Glad I looked on my laptop. I hope I didn't bother you too much asking for the notary name. But I am interested in your guy for inspection. My bus is inspected from Virginia till march so I will have to get on that.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

solo

Quote:
Hey there! Heads up, another member from PA was touring with their band and got pulled over in PA, cops said they needed a CDL since they were a band, gave em a list of over 10 tickets, and impounded the bus. Just a warning! Our state sucks!! I was gonna message you too Tyler(Im James Allen Jr. on FB) and let you know to be careful! If you get pulled over tell em your traveling with friends, not a band!!
I'm not in a band, I'm a solo artist. My kids and husband will be with me when touring. So I could just say that and not mention that I am a singer touring if I ever get pulled over fingers crossed that never happens.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Having lived in PA nice thing about that state is the vehicle registrations are done by private businesses so they are much more customer friendly than the typical state run DMV. They are also everywhere so if you do not like the answer or attitude just go to different one.
jrtroubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hi, just saw this post you did and realized my phone was glitching and I couldn't see the notary name before. Glad I looked on my laptop. I hope I didn't bother you too much asking for the notary name. But I am interested in your guy for inspection. My bus is inspected from Virginia till march so I will have to get on that.
No bother, don't worry!! I actually havent got it inspected yet since I bought it. I wasnt gonna pay the money to do it just for it to sit while converting. When I get it inspected it will be at the local enhanced inspection station.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
No bother, don't worry!! I actually havent got it inspected yet since I bought it. I wasnt gonna pay the money to do it just for it to sit while converting. When I get it inspected it will be at the local enhanced inspection station.
Yeah I am planning on using mine while converting so I need to do it in march.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

You need a CDL in Pennsylvania if you operate a vehicle over 26,000 pounds or a bus with more than 15 passengers.

My skoolie is rated at 14,000 pounds and now has only 4 seats.
25074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, cdl, pennsylvania, title