Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Does this mv41 forum work if it already has a PA title? So if I'm buying it from another person in Pennsylvania?
I’m still waiting for my title to come back but I got a two year motor home registration from the tag place and insurance through Allstate for $500/yr.

MV-41 says if you haven’t made any physical changes to the vehicle, just changing the body classification that no inspection is required and to submit the form and fee with the title. A mutual friend did his bus this way several months ago. Mv-426b is required if you’ve already altered the vehicle and that form requires a mechanic inspection and the vehicle to be taken to a special inspection location and a weight slip to be submitted with both forms. Which is what most people run into.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...orms/MV-41.pdf

CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
I’m still waiting for my title to come back but I got a two year motor home registration from the tag place and insurance through Allstate for $500/yr.

MV-41 says if you haven’t made any physical changes to the vehicle, just changing the body classification that no inspection is required and to submit the form and fee with the title. A mutual friend did his bus this way several months ago. Mv-426b is required if you’ve already altered the vehicle and that form requires a mechanic inspection and the vehicle to be taken to a special inspection location and a weight slip to be submitted with both forms. Which is what most people run into.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...orms/MV-41.pdf
I don't understand how the form lets you change the classification or body style to something it is not because you say so.. Can I say it's a Corvette? I doubt it, because it isn't one. Am I to understand you can change the unconverted bus with no inspection and then build it avoiding the inspections that would have been required had the work been done first? Just so much fraud sounding to me. Just sayin
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Pa. gives you 20 days to register your car.

do you have a source for this? are you telling me I can drive a car around for 20 days with no plates no inspection and no registration with just the title and BOS ? that would be wonderful if that were remotely possible since I could avoid reg in PA all together and just park it in new mexico and sell it without ever having put it in my name (save a few hundred dollars)

I suspect however this is incorrect. the only mention of 20 days I can find is this

"All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania."

this would only apply to new residents and withing 20 days of establishing residency (which you must do within 60 days) but the vehicle would have to OTHERWISE be legal. (ie from your previous state) it can't simply be without tags etc..
Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #24
Bus Nut

In Pa you have to transfer title and pay taxes within 10 days. They want you to pay taxes on your purchase.
When you register a vehicle the classification of body is it’s “intended use”. I can make a station wagon a bus or a truck. Or a bus a motor home or truck or station wagon. The motor home classification says that it will have life supporting features like a bed and kitchen. If it’s going to be a wagon it can’t have those things.

The mv-41 lets you correct the miles, seating capacity, axles, body type, odometer etc. An inspection is only required if you apply for the correction after it’s been modified. You can apply for the correction then modify the vehicle.

You have to follow the instructions to the word. The tag place called 3 people to make sure what I was asking was legal and legitimate before issuing the registration. http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...orms/MV-41.pdf
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #25

I've got a similar scenario to the one described by OP, but I don't think it merits a new thread since I noticed this was active.

We've got a school bus that we are looking to modify for commercial, passenger use. Long story short, we want a party bus which will involve modifying the interior, moving seats around, etc.

Do we register as a bus? Do we register as something else? Will we need seatbelts for each passanger?

Where is the best place to find correct information regarding the process we must follow to make our bus legal for commercial use? Any office we can call where we will get a live person?

Thanks
Gsm4129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsm4129 View Post
I've got a similar scenario to the one described by OP, but I don't think it merits a new thread since I noticed this was active.

We've got a school bus that we are looking to modify for commercial, passenger use. Long story short, we want a party bus which will involve modifying the interior, moving seats around, etc.

Do we register as a bus? Do we register as something else? Will we need seatbelts for each passanger?

Where is the best place to find correct information regarding the process we must follow to make our bus legal for commercial use? Any office we can call where we will get a live person?

Thanks
You aren’t going to get any consistent or accurate information from the state or tag agencies. You have to go to the pen dot website and research to find this stuff. Bus is determined by passenger count and use as a people transport. You’re probably going to want to go bus and register as a limousine service. You should look up a few limo companies in your area and ask them a bunch of questions about insurance and such.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Howdy all, I'm brand new to Skoolie.net, lovin' it... Anyways, I was just at an Auto Tag Agency in Bucks County with my MV-41 (already insured as motorhome), and I was told to get MV-426B filled out at a specialty inspection station. I was also told the bus had to be weighed and no title change or registrstion before this step.

My main question for CMORGANSKOOL.. How'd you get around this step? Should I go to another Tag Agency?

Recommendations for these specialty inspection locations anyone in Philly or Bucks County?? Gracias!
OnTheRoadW/theLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoadW/theLord View Post
Howdy all, I'm brand new to Skoolie.net, lovin' it... Anyways, I was just at an Auto Tag Agency in Bucks County with my MV-41 (already insured as motorhome), and I was told to get MV-426B filled out at a specialty inspection station. I was also told the bus had to be weighed and no title change or registrstion before this step.

My main question for CMORGANSKOOL.. How'd you get around this step? Should I go to another Tag Agency?

Recommendations for these specialty inspection locations anyone in Philly or Bucks County?? Gracias!

You only need mv-426b if “the vehicle has been altered” it’s very specific. If you did any work to it and declare that then yes you need an inspection. If the vehicle is just as you bought it then you don’t need the 426b. Planet auto tag on Bussleton ave. Go there. They called 3 people before someone told them to read the form and interpret it as written. It says 426b is required “if” the vehicle has been altered:ie change of axles or changed the cab or some physical change. My title came back in about 3 weeks changed from bus to motor home. If you have insurance already you can get a tag and temp registration issued on the spot.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome, thank you, I'll definitely head over to them. Most of these Agencies seem as unfamiliar with this as I am haha.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Awesome, thank you, I'll definitely head over to them. Most of these Agencies seem as unfamiliar with this as I am haha.
We need to have a Pa meetup. I’ve sent 5-6 bus people there since I got mine.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks again! Went to Planet Auto Tag this morning and got my temp. registration, tag and title in process (hopefully approved, 10-day wait). They made it so easy. I highly recommend this spot.

Turns out the sweet ladies down there just had someone else with the same model (2003 Chevy Express Shorty) and the same price tag ($2150) in last week for title change, tag, and reg. My guess is same location, same auction, same fleet. Kinda funny, guess that's the spot to be for PA Skoolie folk
Old 11-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks again! Went to Planet Auto Tag this morning and got my temp. registration, tag and title in process (hopefully approved, 10-day wait). They made it so easy. I highly recommend this spot.

Turns out the sweet ladies down there just had someone else with the same model (2003 Chevy Express Shorty) and the same price tag ($2150) in last week for title change, tag, and reg. My guess is same location, same auction, same fleet. Kinda funny, guess that's the spot to be for PA Skoolie folk
I keep sending people there. I should get a referral program going lol.
It took a few weeks for my title to come. I honestly forgot and one day it came in the mail. Keep me in mind if you need any help with the bus. I’m trying to connect with all the Pa bus people. We should all meet up with the rigs and have a bbq or something. Share our projects and ideas.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Haha you should, they'd clearly had an unusual amount of experience with skoolies. I will definitely keep in touch. I'm not very far along, had the bus for about 3 weeks but only about 3 days of work. Got seats and lift out and sold, rubber off most of the floor, screws out from all over, but I'm currently stuck on the l-track (seat belt track with steel rivets above windows and nearly immovable hex bolts on floor track). Anyway, I'm veering off topic..
Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to ThorrsHammer
Quote:
In Pa you have to transfer title and pay taxes within 10 days. They want you to pay taxes on your purchase.
When you register a vehicle the classification of body is it’s “intended use”. I can make a station wagon a bus or a truck. Or a bus a motor home or truck or station wagon. The motor home classification says that it will have life supporting features like a bed and kitchen. If it’s going to be a wagon it can’t have those things.

The mv-41 lets you correct the miles, seating capacity, axles, body type, odometer etc. An inspection is only required if you apply for the correction after it’s been modified. You can apply for the correction then modify the vehicle.

You have to follow the instructions to the word. The tag place called 3 people to make sure what I was asking was legal and legitimate before issuing the registration. http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...orms/MV-41.pdf
Yes, just got my motor home title using MV-41 only, changed body type. Got a response letter (two, actually), had to send in the old title, a pic of the outside showing flashers and signage removed. They had originally asked for an MV-4S to be returned (the state's tax form), but they never sent it. I'll probably pay the tax when I get it registered...but I need insurance first.

At the next inspection, it has to be done as an "enhanced vehicle", with 4 of 7 required M.H. items installed (i.e., contained toilet, heating or a/c source, etc.), flasher system wiring disabled/removed, and all school decals off. All per the Enhanced Vehicle checklist from the PA DMV website.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorrsHammer View Post
Yes, just got my motor home title using MV-41 only, changed body type. Got a response letter (two, actually), had to send in the old title, a pic of the outside showing flashers and signage removed. They had originally asked for an MV-4S to be returned (the state's tax form), but they never sent it. I'll probably pay the tax when I get it registered...but I need insurance first.

At the next inspection, it has to be done as an "enhanced vehicle", with 4 of 7 required M.H. items installed (i.e., contained toilet, heating or a/c source, etc.), flasher system wiring disabled/removed, and all school decals off. All per the Enhanced Vehicle checklist from the PA DMV website.
You do not have to get the vehicle inspected if it’s on private property. You do have to insure and register it to drive. I didn’t have my registered and insured bus Inspected for a year while it was parked on private property. I did drive it around without inspection which is a summary offense if pulled over.
When I took my “motor home” to Robs Towing in Bensalem for state safety inspection I was not required to have any of the required items to pass state safety inspection. You are not required by law to have any of this completed in Pa to have a legal motor home title and registration. If anyone is telling this they are factually incorrect. The only legal requirement under pa code is the vehicle have a state safety inspection to drive legally on Pa roads.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to ThorrsHammer
Quote:
You do not have to get the vehicle inspected if it’s on private property. You do have to insure and register it to drive. I didn’t have my registered and insured bus Inspected for a year while it was parked on private property. I did drive it around without inspection which is a summary offense if pulled over.
When I took my “motor home” to Robs Towing in Bensalem for state safety inspection I was not required to have any of the required items to pass state safety inspection. You are not required by law to have any of this completed in Pa to have a legal motor home title and registration. If anyone is telling this they are factually incorrect. The only legal requirement under pa code is the vehicle have a state safety inspection to drive legally on Pa roads.
Yes, but of course I intend to drive it on public roads. None of the work has been done to convert the bus yet, but I did get the title changed. How tough was it to get insurance for your bus in your area?

As far as the inspection process, maybe I'm talking to the wrong guy (the guy who does the inspections in Corsica). He referred me to the state's document for enhanced vehicle inspections of converted vehicles, which includes motor homes (pg. 13):

"In order to qualify as a motor home, these vehicles must comply with Pennsylvania equipment, inspection and operating requirements. In addition, the vehicle must be equipped with at least 4 of the following components:
• Cooking appliance
• Refrigerator
• Self-contained toilet
• Heating/Air conditioning
• Portable water supply
• Faucet and sink
• Separate 110/125 or LP gas supply"

I'm going to try taking it to another inspector, to see if it actually needs any of this stuff.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV.../PUB%20645.pdf
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yes, but of course I intend to drive it on public roads. None of the work has been done to convert the bus yet, but I did get the title changed. How tough was it to get insurance for your bus in your area?

As far as the inspection process, maybe I'm talking to the wrong guy (the guy who does the inspections in Corsica). He referred me to the state's document for enhanced vehicle inspections of converted vehicles, which includes motor homes (pg. 13):

"In order to qualify as a motor home, these vehicles must comply with Pennsylvania equipment, inspection and operating requirements. In addition, the vehicle must be equipped with at least 4 of the following components:
• Cooking appliance
• Refrigerator
• Self-contained toilet
• Portable water supply
• Faucet and sink

I'm going to try taking it to another inspector, to see if it actually needs any of this stuff.

He’s confused. You’re not doing an enhanced inspection to drive legally. You’re just doing the state safety inspection which can be done at any heavy truck shop or dealer. I have Robs towing bear me. They’re the guys with the giant tow rigs that tow tractor trailers and busses. They have a diesel shop that does safety inspections and repairs. You want to go somewhere like that. When I brought the bus in they all wanted to check it out. With insurance be a little more cautious. My agent has me insured as a motor home. Make model etc. no mention it’s a converted school bus per his recommendation. Just a motor home that’s a motor home and no idea when or how it became a motor home. I pay $50/mo through A major national insurer.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:

• Cooking appliance
• Refrigerator
• Self-contained toilet
• Portable water supply
• Faucet and sink

I can tell you without asking an inspector. Pulling the wool over the eyes of DMV workers when registering seems to be the norm, tell em it's an RV and they tag it as such. Unfortunately, inorder to qualify as an RV/MH it must have 4 of the list of 6 in every state that I know of. The issue will come when you try and insure it as an RV and the insurance company is going to require documentation the conversion has been completed. With out that you now have a bus titled as an RV that you can't get less expensive RV insurance.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I can tell you without asking an inspector. Pulling the wool over the eyes of DMV workers when registering seems to be the norm, tell em it's an RV and they tag it as such. Unfortunately, inorder to qualify as an RV/MH it must have 4 of the list of 6 in every state that I know of. The issue will come when you try and insure it as an RV and the insurance company is going to require documentation the conversion has been completed. With out that you now have a bus titled as an RV that you can't get less expensive RV insurance.
While that is the case in many states. Pennsylvania is different. The law is very specific and in Pa only if you follow the guidance I’ve suggested you will have no problem changing the title and registering/insuring your skoolie in PA. There seems to be some confusion about what the law requires because other states are much more strict. You can also not follow the specific steps I’ve listed and wind up in a situation whereby you are the owner of an altered vehicle which will require enhanced inspection, weight certifications and a series of extra steps to wind up with the same result. The latter requirements are designed for custom built vehicles that use chassis from manufacturers and custom bodies. I fully support those vehicles going through that vetting process. However any vehicle in pa can be re titled as a motor home with a form submission provided it hasn’t been physically altered at time of submission.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
While that is the case in many states. Pennsylvania is different. The law is very specific and in Pa only if you follow the guidance I’ve suggested you will have no problem changing the title and registering/insuring your skoolie in PA. There seems to be some confusion about what the law requires because other states are much more strict. You can also not follow the specific steps I’ve listed and wind up in a situation whereby you are the owner of an altered vehicle which will require enhanced inspection, weight certifications and a series of extra steps to wind up with the same result. The latter requirements are designed for custom built vehicles that use chassis from manufacturers and custom bodies. I fully support those vehicles going through that vetting process. However any vehicle in pa can be re titled as a motor home with a form submission provided it hasn’t been physically altered at time of submission.
What did I say that was inaccurate?