Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I reside in PA. My bus is titled in PA (as "BUS") but registered/tagged in Vermont as a motorhome. I have a liability-only RV insurance policy with Allstate, who is aware it is not yet physically converted to a motorhome (I submitted pics of its current state when I got the policy). I will be able to get a full-coverage RV policy for it through Allstate once the conversion is done and I submit photo proof of this.

FWIW it appears that the VT registration for me may have been unnecessary, since you can just mail in the MV-41 form to PennDOT and magically change the title of your vehicle from BUS to motorhome. I went the VT route because my local tag & title person told me that a bus converted to a motorhome qualified as a "modified vehicle" and required a separate inspection and proof of the qualifications of the shop doing the conversion. FWIW she has taken three other skoolie owners through this process of modified vehicle inspection - so it seems that PennDOT may actually legally require the inspection BUT has no bureaucratic mechanisms in place to tell that it should be (or should have been) inspected.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Can't give anything useful to the thread, but to say I am glad I am out west in Montana, to convert mine to a MH, it was half a sheet of paper and a friendly chat with the local town police dept.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What did I say that was inaccurate?
I think I misread it as saying the process was pulling the wool over the eyes of the dmv or insurance company. I agree that misstating and subversion can cause major headaches. I’m advocating everyone follow the letter of the law which in this case works to our favor.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I reside in PA. My bus is titled in PA (as "BUS") but registered/tagged in Vermont as a motorhome. I have a liability-only RV insurance policy with Allstate, who is aware it is not yet physically converted to a motorhome (I submitted pics of its current state when I got the policy). I will be able to get a full-coverage RV policy for it through Allstate once the conversion is done and I submit photo proof of this.

FWIW it appears that the VT registration for me may have been unnecessary, since you can just mail in the MV-41 form to PennDOT and magically change the title of your vehicle from BUS to motorhome. I went the VT route because my local tag & title person told me that a bus converted to a motorhome qualified as a "modified vehicle" and required a separate inspection and proof of the qualifications of the shop doing the conversion. FWIW she has taken three other skoolie owners through this process of modified vehicle inspection - so it seems that PennDOT may actually legally require the inspection BUT has no bureaucratic mechanisms in place to tell that it should be (or should have been) inspected.
The confusion is there are two distinct types of alterations and the two forms. An mv41 can be used when no changes have been made to the vehicle. The second form is used when a custom vehicle is built on a chassis and the vehicle has been altered ie axles, body, weight etc. those vehicles should be subject to enhanced inspection and are required to be completed before registering. In our case were not altering the vehicle by changing the body or axles. We can take any vehicle that hasn’t been altered and change the body type on paper to motor home. The. do the work later. No inspection required unless you’re substantially altering the body or chassis. Technically adding a second level or axle or raising the roof would fall under the second scenario.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
I think I misread it as saying the process was pulling the wool over the eyes of the dmv or insurance company. I agree that misstating and subversion can cause major headaches. I’m advocating everyone follow the letter of the law which in this case works to our favor.
My point was that it easy to pull the wool over the eyes of DMV workers. Too many stories of people walking and saying it's an RV and walking out with RV registration on a seated school bus. You will not be that lucky with the insurance companies. DMV has no vested interest in the bus, so it's no skin off thier back. They insurance company is a whole different ballgame.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
The second form is used when a custom vehicle is built on a chassis and the vehicle has been altered ie axles, body, weight etc. those vehicles should be subject to enhanced inspection and are required to be completed before registering. In our case were not altering the vehicle by changing the body or axles.
In the PennDOT language for modified vehicles, they only mention altering the number of axles as one example of what qualifies - they do not give any kind of exhaustive listing of what changes might or might not qualify. Elsewhere, they explicitly mention van conversions to motorhomes as qualifying as "modified vehicles" and requiring the special inspection. It's not really logical that PennDOT would exclude bus conversions from the exact same requirement, which is why I think the fact that you can just successfully skip the inspection is the result of an oversight on the part of PennDOT.

One I'm fully prepared to take advantage of, BTW.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The confusion is there are two distinct types of alterations and the two forms. An mv41 can be used when no changes have been made to the vehicle. The second form is used when a custom vehicle is built on a chassis and the vehicle has been altered ie axles, body, weight etc. those vehicles should be subject to enhanced inspection and are required to be completed before registering. In our case were not altering the vehicle by changing the body or axles. We can take any vehicle that hasn’t been altered and change the body type on paper to motor home. The. do the work later. No inspection required unless you’re substantially altering the body or chassis. Technically adding a second level or axle or raising the roof would fall under the second scenario.

CMORGANSKOOL. I am looking at a bus in a different state, much like you did. Actually considering a couple different busses in a couple different states, but will decide on one eventually!

How did you handle the title transfer from a different state? Every vehicle transaction I have had to undertake, both parties had to be present to make the transfer and have the forms notarized together. Since I would be purchasing from out of state, I imagine that I would be able to get a signed title from the seller to bring back to PA, but how can I complete the transaction at our tag/title location without the buyer physically present when filling out the form?

Also, how do you handle paying sales tax? Did you pay taxes in the state/county where you purchased AND in Pennsylvania?

I think I've found the right bus, but my brain requires that I work out all of the details in advance, so I'm ready for any "eventuality"...

Thanks for your help!

Hengy
Hengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengy View Post
CMORGANSKOOL. I am looking at a bus in a different state, much like you did. Actually considering a couple different busses in a couple different states, but will decide on one eventually!

How did you handle the title transfer from a different state? Every vehicle transaction I have had to undertake, both parties had to be present to make the transfer and have the forms notarized together. Since I would be purchasing from out of state, I imagine that I would be able to get a signed title from the seller to bring back to PA, but how can I complete the transaction at our tag/title location without the buyer physically present when filling out the form?

Also, how do you handle paying sales tax? Did you pay taxes in the state/county where you purchased AND in Pennsylvania?

I think I've found the right bus, but my brain requires that I work out all of the details in advance, so I'm ready for any "eventuality"...

Thanks for your help!

Hengy
The seller provided a paper bill of sale. Just a paper saying their name and address and the date and amount of sale, and signed the title and I was on my way. I brought those documents to the title agency.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #49
Bus Nut

I got the bus registered and insured before I picked it up and drove back with a temp tag and pa license plate.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for that info!

Did you then make two trips to the seller's location? One to look at and pay for the bus and another to actually pick it up and bring it home? Sounds like I need to find the right place in the Pittsburgh area to handle this transfer.

Really appreciate this info!

Hengy
Hengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #51
Bus Nut

I bought from a bus yard liquidator at the bus company. I bought the bus sight unseen after he sent me detailed photos of the interior and undercarriage and video of starting and running the bus. They put two new tires and new batteries in the bus and topped fell the fluids. I paid. They mailed me the bill of sale and title and I took it to the tag place. Drove there and picked it up
Old 12-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #52
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
So just to make sure I understand this process completely. As long as I don't modify my bus I should be able to modify the title to a motorhome title. I then should be able to get a general state inspection which doesn't include the special modified motorhome inspection correct? Insurance is a different beast but hopefully won't be a problem.

I was planning on getting the title changed and registering the vehicle in Vermont because I was afraid I would not have time to switch the title here in PA to a motor home after I finished the conversion. The Vermont title/ registration was tempting because I could do it while I was working on the bus. The Vermont registration would also mean that I wouldn't need to inspect the bus so that would be beneficial as well.

Is there any reason you would suggest not just registering the bus in vermont vs this method in PA?
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
So just to make sure I understand this process completely. As long as I don't modify my bus I should be able to modify the title to a motorhome title. I then should be able to get a general state inspection which doesn't include the special modified motorhome inspection correct? Insurance is a different beast but hopefully won't be a problem.

I was planning on getting the title changed and registering the vehicle in Vermont because I was afraid I would not have time to switch the title here in PA to a motor home after I finished the conversion. The Vermont title/ registration was tempting because I could do it while I was working on the bus. The Vermont registration would also mean that I wouldn't need to inspect the bus so that would be beneficial as well.

Is there any reason you would suggest not just registering the bus in vermont vs this method in PA?
2 reason. One is getting it registered as an RV or MH has been pretty simple at DMV. The issue is you now have a MH/RV that you cannot insure as one, because it isn't one. So I see no advantage to doing that upfront. The second issue is one I'm dealing with now. I'm registered in Vt. but insured in Ga. The Ga. state database is not showing my bus registered there and is threatening to take action.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post

In PA it appears that you can simply change the title of your vehicle from bus to motorhome via a mail-in form. I have been told by my tag&title person (who guided three other skoolie builders through the process) that a skoolie qualifies as a "modified vehicle" and thus requires a separate special inspection and a sign-off from the licensed mechanic that did the conversion (i.e. not you) in order to get the title changed to motorhome; however a number of people (including CMORGANSKOOL) have changed their titles to motorhome simply by mailing in the basic form. So if the special inspection is actually required (I personally think it has to be based on the language PennDOT uses), there is nothing in the PennDOT system that actually catches the requirement in the case of skoolies, so you might as well take advantage of the loophole while it's still open.

That being said, my bus is registered as a motorhome in Vermont, and I had no trouble at all getting RV insurance from Allstate despite my residing in PA and not having completed the actual motorhome conversion yet.

So either method should work fine for you.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Change the title wherever it’s easier. I’m pretty well versed in pa Mv code as I do it all day for my job. There’s no loophole with the mail in form. The law is very simple. Any unaltered vehicle can have the class changed with the form. Once it’s a motor home legally any rv insurance will work. The idea is to change the classification as cheaply and quick as possible. Then worry about your build. Some states require the build and lots of money first.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #56

I'm going through that right now I'm on the 4th send the paperwork back to the DMV
The last request from the Pa DMV was an unladen weight slip. I had the mini bus weighed sent the certificed weigh slip back with the paper work I even provided the DMV with a photo of the manufacturer gvw. And I received my title back as a truck unladen weight of 8320 and a bbq of 7000
I think this was a honest mistake but I had talked to the speciality department she talked to management and it was supposed to come back as an Omnibus so on the phone again I was told to send the title back and they would be corrected
That was 2 and 1/2 weeks ago . I started this in December. I'm anxiously waiting
sclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Change the title wherever it’s easier. I’m pretty well versed in pa Mv code as I do it all day for my job. There’s no loophole with the mail in form. The law is very simple. Any unaltered vehicle can have the class changed with the form. Once it’s a motor home legally any rv insurance will work. The idea is to change the classification as cheaply and quick as possible. Then worry about your build. Some states require the build and lots of money first.
New here. Bucks, PA. The wife and I just plopped money down on a bus in DE two days ago so we much appreciate all you've said here. Dunno if we can match your performance but we're sure gonna try.

"Hi, yes, we're buying a motorhome and wish to add this vehicle to our policy."

(just practicing..)

DO NOT say "bus." Don't do it!
Grumblenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #58

Lurker here.. so please tell me this information is correct or not

" I bought the bus and it was transferred to my name in block "A" on the back as it should be. ALWAYS do the transfer in front of a Notary Public. I took that title, properly assigned to me to a tag agent/notary and paid my sales tax and sent away to get the title in my name AND changed into a MOTORHOME instead of bus. When I got the title back from the state in about 2 weeks, I then went to a tag agent and bought a Temp motorhome tag. In between those steps I got insurance on the motorhome at Good Sam Club. No inspections. The stop sign and arm were previously removed from the vehicle and the school bus lights disabled. But I removed the seats after purchase. I am now in the process of converting it to a motorhome/camper/RV. "
Nivasi on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #59

Little update here --

Finally got our title yesterday a month after purchasing our bus and, surprise, it had a security lien on it to add insult to injury. Called and drove down to a local 5 star rated tag place. Got nowhere fast. The guy insisted we needed it inspected by a specialist, had to use an mv-42B form, and so on. So we left and I decided to just go to Planet Auto Tag in Philly rather than likely continue wasting our time.

Took a printed picture along of the VIN and Gross WT info label above the driver's seat. Also needed Driver's License, proof of insurance, title, and engine info ("diesel" may do). I took more stuff that wasn't needed. They were nice, quiet and fast, then handed us a spanking new PA motorhome tag.

I suspect they've upped their fees considerably lately though. Else they just charge people with very German sounding names top dollar (>$600). It was a relief just to get it done in any case. No inspection required or any of that crap. Said to expect the PA title to arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Nivasi, I also did bring a copy of the mv-41 form along and they had us sign it, but I can't confirm whether they did any more than check the 'Correction of Body Type" box or not. Finally I feel like we can start working on the thing. More to come..
Grumblenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #60

So it all depends on what office you take it to. My local notary is well versed in title corrections etc. Just don't want to jump through 90 hoops to change a 4-5 window van chassis .. I realize its going to be stupid but hey its PA NOTHING is normal in this dam state
Nivasi on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote