Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2024, 03:47 PM   #1

"Personal use"

Not sure if this has been addressed before but we've gotten an interesting response from the insurance company. Thought I'd shout into the interwebs and see if anyone else could shine some light on the subject.

GEICO came back wanting normal things like pictures of the inside and out. But then they wanted to know in detail what I planned on using it, for 'personal use' was not sufficient, as well as asking why my other driver was licensed in a different state as me and if they were going to be getting one for the same state as me. It feels a little invasive and irrelevant, why does it matter if the other driver has a different home address, and what should I say I use it for if not personal use?

Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I asked my agent with State Farm about personal use for a bus. Similar answer, saying how can they be sure it is only personal use. So no they will not insure it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
How did both of you ďqualify/explainĒ personal use ?
What was your explanation ?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Not sure if this has been addressed before but we've gotten an interesting response from the insurance company. Thought I'd shout into the interwebs and see if anyone else could shine some light on the subject.

GEICO came back wanting normal things like pictures of the inside and out. But then they wanted to know in detail what I planned on using it, for 'personal use' was not sufficient, as well as asking why my other driver was licensed in a different state as me and if they were going to be getting one for the same state as me. It feels a little invasive and irrelevant, why does it matter if the other driver has a different home address, and what should I say I use it for if not personal use?
Did you call the regular Geico retail number or did you call Geico commercial ?
Old 06-11-2024, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Can I get insurance for my converted school bus?

This Progressive Insurance page is funny to read. It is all set up to pump you up and get excited but they straight out tell you they won't insure skoolie's.

LMAO...

https://www.progressive.com/answers/...ed-school-bus/

Most buses converted into recreational vehicles for personal use are eligible for insurance, though it may be difficult to find an insurer who will write you a policy. Many insurers, including Progressive, wonít insure converted school buses at all.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Those that I have been able to get registered as a motorhome I have had no trouble getting insurance. It is bus as personal use is the problem.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
both of my buses are insured through progressive commercial as bus for personal use.
no questions no pictures no problem
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:16 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Commercial policy for personal use was the only way we got a new policy, and the policy itself ******* sucks.

Covers basically nothing.
Clocks in at about 600/year.
Never been at-fault.
Had to list our business, and its separate insurance on it. Our business insurance does not cover vehicles at all.

Old one lapsed because they had the wrong email, so we got no notice to pay. Whoops.

They've got word the poors got something good, and they're cracking down hard.

Don't let an existing policy lapse. Let the reg lapse first
Cheezewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:12 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Those that I have been able to get registered as a motorhome I have had no trouble getting insurance. It is bus as personal use is the problem.
In South Carolina you can't register them as RV's on the titles. So that would be a problem.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:12 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
In South Carolina you can't register them as RV's on the titles. So that would be a problem.

That is the problem I am having in Virginia.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #11

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International CE300
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
That is the problem I am having in Virginia.
Kentucky says a bus is a bus is a bus. No matter what you change, take out seats, add cooking, sleeping, etc, it's still a bus and always will. At least what the dude at the state capital dmv told me on the phone. Figured I must have asked the question wrong so visited state dmv hq in frankfort. Talked with very nice clerk who didn't know the answer. So, she went and asked..... The DUDE. Surprise, a bus is a bus.........
At least state farm wrote a commercial policy so I can drive. So there's that.
My SIL, in ky, has a co-worker who has the same ce300 9 windows licensed in ky as a RV. Must have some serious MOJO....
hcarter951@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 12:11 AM   #12

Contact Ricky Burgess at Sutphin insurance in Moneta, VA if you need VA insurance. Good guy: you can (and should) be completely frank with him as to your purpose.
TimStephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:10 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
This Progressive Insurance page is funny to read. It is all set up to pump you up and get excited but they straight out tell you they won't insure skoolie's.

LMAO...

https://www.progressive.com/answers/...ed-school-bus/

Most buses converted into recreational vehicles for personal use are eligible for insurance, though it may be difficult to find an insurer who will write you a policy. Many insurers, including Progressive, wonít insure converted school buses at all.

correct and they will tell people that over the phone. those who say they have their bus covered through progressive probably will be denied a claim if their bus is converted and a claim is filed.. it works for "an insurance cards to keep the cops happy".. but prob not as a true protection..

when I renew each year now they specifically ask me "is your bus still a bus or is it an RV?". they have never asked for pictures but since its my red bus that still has all of its original seats they are fine with it. when they asked "what do you use it for?".. "I take it on road trips.. has more room for luggage and my friends and I can sit more comfortably"... they are cool with it... I have full coverage for 8 grand.. collision, liability, comp.. $500 deductible... it went up this year to about 700 bucks a year but at least i have it.. in 2025 i'll be able to put it on my hagerty policy since the bus will be 25 years old. the other 3 are already on hagerty.

im also a firm believer that some on here who have an easier time with insurance may have already been long term customers with no claims.. alas I have no idea if I walked off the street and asked for progressive on the same bus at the same address would they give it to me? but they keep renewing since I pay in full yearly, have had the policy since 2016 and no claims and no accidents/tickets on my drivers license.

I was going to go get my CDL just to have it as i feel like the training to study and fully learn the commercial routine with professional CDL trainers would be beneficial, however a couple friends advised me against it as their insurance companies dropped their personal use policies on their fully original busses after they got their CDL.. my guess is that the insurance company felt the busses would end up used in a commerical setting... hagerty doesnt care.. so once my red bus is safely moved to them in a year or max 2 then i'll go study
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I was going to go get my CDL just to have it as i feel like the training to study and fully learn the commercial routine with professional CDL trainers would be beneficial, however a couple friends advised me against it as their insurance companies dropped their personal use policies on their fully original busses after they got their CDL.. my guess is that the insurance company felt the busses would end up used in a commerical setting... hagerty doesnt care.. so once my red bus is safely moved to them in a year or max 2 then i'll go study
I walked in off the street to get my State Farm personal use of a commercial vehicle policy (back when they wrote them for new customers). Having owned the party bus business and still having a CDL they just wanted pictures that the seats were out to prove it couldn't be used commercially. I'm not sure if having the CDL mattered or not to underwriting, maybe it helped in that I knew what the rules were between personal and commercial and was following them?

Ironically enough my actual commerical insurance company for the party bus business (Berkshire Hathaway) ran my name through DMV records and threw a fit that I privately owned "a bus" in my own name and not the business LLC that wasn't listed on their policy with the full $5M commerical liability. Took months to "prove" to them the bus wasn't being used commercially despite it having an RV title, a personal use insurance policy, and photos of the seats, stop arms, school bus signage, etc removed and the start of installation of plumbing ha ha.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:24 PM   #15
Skoolie

Some bus owners run a tax deductible business from their bus, such as a beauty shop, remote IT techs employed by their old companies, traveling dog groomer, etc. Maybe the insurance rates are higher if you will be having customers in your bus. If it means the insurance co. will be able to make more money off of you, they will definitely push you to answer. I would just say “for camping and vacationing, & going to visit family.”
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:59 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
correct and they will tell people that over the phone. those who say they have their bus covered through progressive probably will be denied a claim if their bus is converted and a claim is filed.. it works for "an insurance cards to keep the cops happy".. but prob not as a true protection..

when I renew each year now they specifically ask me "is your bus still a bus or is it an RV?". they have never asked for pictures but since its my red bus that still has all of its original seats they are fine with it. when they asked "what do you use it for?".. "I take it on road trips.. has more room for luggage and my friends and I can sit more comfortably"... they are cool with it... I have full coverage for 8 grand.. collision, liability, comp.. $500 deductible... it went up this year to about 700 bucks a year but at least i have it.. in 2025 i'll be able to put it on my hagerty policy since the bus will be 25 years old. the other 3 are already on hagerty.

im also a firm believer that some on here who have an easier time with insurance may have already been long term customers with no claims.. alas I have no idea if I walked off the street and asked for progressive on the same bus at the same address would they give it to me? but they keep renewing since I pay in full yearly, have had the policy since 2016 and no claims and no accidents/tickets on my drivers license.

I was going to go get my CDL just to have it as i feel like the training to study and fully learn the commercial routine with professional CDL trainers would be beneficial, however a couple friends advised me against it as their insurance companies dropped their personal use policies on their fully original' hagerty busses after they got their CDL.. my guess is that the insurance company felt the busses would end up used in a commerical setting... hagerty doesnt care.. so once my red bus is safely moved to them in a year or max 2 then i'll go study

who/what is "hagerty"
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:27 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
who/what is "hagerty"

hagerty is vintage vehicle insurance... I dont believe they will do converted busses.. but since mine are either all or mostly all still original they do.. the insure vehicles over 25 years in age..

their model is that typically vehicles over 25 years, people are driving less, driving more carefully, and taking good care of.. so their prices are pretty low.. I do know of a couple people who have their vintage motorhomes covered through them..
Old 06-30-2024, 08:58 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Update on my insurance situation. State Farm flat out denied my bus because it wasnít completed. They are wording it like this because they want pictures of it finished too tell if you did body modifications to it. I had it mocked up too in my pictures.

I have had a perfect driving record with them for 22 years, no claims, house, 2 cars, motorcycle. If they cannot shoot straight with me then screw them. Theyíve been good to me this far but the way they are handling this situation is abhorrent. So what if the bus isnít finished, it wonít be for a year or so. We still need to drive it.

Itís not even the fact that they wonít support a converted bus but If you canít even tell me that the reason you wonít insure it because of that to a perfect customer I donít want to do business with you any longer.

State Farm has been loosing customers left and right lately.

I tried to do the progressive commercial route, they told me they wouldnít do a converted bus. At least they were up front.

So I went to an insurance broker. They got me a binding contract right away with no other than progressive. Itís good for a year at minimum so try cannot take it away until then at least. If they donít drop me at that point I may move my other cars to them for doing business with me on my bus. Iím using my bus as a litmus test going forward, if they donít insurance my bus they donít get all my other vehicles.

I highly recommend everyone use an insurance broker. It costs you nothing, will get you great rates, and try are able to cut through red tape blockers apparently that you cannot do on your own. It was a no BS hassle event, binding contact same day. They just checked my driving record, and asked for my bus VIN. No pictures required, no questions or BS concerns about raises, just what do you want to insure it for and thatís all.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 09:32 AM   #19
Bus Geek

state farm is on my s*** list lately because even though in every thunderstorm we have shingles keep flying off my roof.. (amazingly no leaks).. they simply want to keep doing "separate claims for repairs" which fall underneath the deductible so makes me the payer.. even though the real damage occured in a derecho event last year.. ive been with them close to 30 years.. oh and they wouldnt insure any of my busses...
Old 06-30-2024, 05:37 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
You guys are bashing State Farm, yet I have had nothing but a good experience with them and my bus.

I started with Progressive Commercial for personal while I was building it out, knowing all the while that they DO NOT insure converted busses, and that they will cancel policies if they know you are converting...wasn't a big deal for me, because I was not driving it more than a few miles here and there, and then only to fill up, or move to my driveway for cleaning/painting. When I had it essentially finished (i.e., all done except for the kitchen) I contacted a local State Farm agent, and he wrote up the full cover policy for a fraction of what Progressive Commercial was charging for liability only. Yes, I did have to provide pics of the inside and outside, but no big deal. Also, they did not (1) care that it was a converted bus nor (2) that it was titled as a bus - they insured it as an RV/MH anyway.

I have since gotten it retitled as a MH - Texas is flexible in that regard, but you still have to show proof that it meets the requirements as far as elements of basic living.

Anyway, point is that I believe some of this boils down to who you are dealing with (i.e., the agent) and I happened to know the agent from cycling activities. While I understand the frustration of having to show proof of completion, at the end of the day, they are covering some requirement from underwriting, and there is probably a good reason for this. Oh...and lastly, I did go to State Farm when I first bought the bus - before I drove it home - and they would have insured it, but wanted to make sure that the seats were out...needed pics of that, which I could not provide, because said bus was 500 miles away, so I ended up going with Progressive.
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote