Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 02:05 AM   #1

Please help us!!! Almost pulled the trigger when title transfer issues came up.

My girlfriend and I have been searching nonstop for weeks once we had decided to take the skoolie plunge and I have come across a few buses that I though for our needs. Of course the first bus we checked out was a junket and the second seller sold the bus after we had driven 5 hours to see it.
So when I came across this 2004 Blue Bird Pusher with a 3126 and 6 speed Allison we were very excited. We were prepared to leave this morning to drive to Tennessee to hopefully purchase this bus as long as everything on our list checked out. Unfortunately this afternoon the seller called me and told me the title wasn’t currently in his name but he did have the title in his possession which he provided pictures of. But the previous owner never signed the bus over to him so he provided a picture that was from the Vermont DMV with a transfer of ownership form filled out to his name.
This is were I think I need some clarification because he didn’t explain things well and it made me very unsure. He said he had mailed in his information to VT to get the bus registered but then proceeded to tell me that the VT registration would act as the buses title? Is he doing this to skip the sales tax, if so is he just getting a bonded title? If I purchase this bus would it then become my responsibility to get in contact with the last owner of the title to get it in my name? Are there ways to get around not having a title signed in my name if I have the original title and a bill of sale?

P.s. I feel like I should mention this as well but when he sent the transfer of ownership paperwork photos, the sale price written in the bus was $500 but he is asking $5000. Was this him avoiding sales tax or should I run far far away?

Thanks everyone, this is my first post but you have already taught me so much.

Hlud1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Yeah, there are a couple of details in this situation that I would call red flags. I would almost guess that in addition to these potential hurdles you may also make the trip only to find the bus not what was advertised or in condition stated but he may hope once you've invested the effort you're unlikely to go home empty-handed then only afterwards will you uncover some undisclosed issues. Go with your gut - if it's telling you to walk away then do it because there are always other buses to be had.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #3
Skoolie

Yes, details are red flags and my spidey sense says AVOID THIS SELLER.

All last-minute, by-the-way stories of why the title is defective, he doesn't actually own the bus, the 6 speed is really 5, the 3126 is really a C7, or maybe a 3116, or whatever, just drives me nuts. Been there, and paid too much for it.

No matter how nice and cooperative and sympathetic it all sounds, (maybe because of that) this transaction is all bad so far, particularly for a first time buyer. I've been buying and selling cars and trucks for more than 40 years. Sometimes a slippery character has a decent deal on offer, but on my first purchase from one I got burned. A couple more after that, too, over the years.

$5000 is not such a great deal on this bus depending on many factors, and I would bet real money that that this unit has many undisclosed problems. The description you have doesn't line up with how the bus would have been manufactured in 2004, for instance. This "oh, yeah..." title nonsense is just the beginning, in my experience.

$5k is a decent budget to acquire a bus. Hang on to your money. Even a dealer would find you a bus for that amount. Good ones are around. Start with them and you will quickly find out what is and is not available for that kind of money. Paying 25% more to buy from one of them who educates you and really puts the right bus under you may be money well spent.

Dealers get a bad rap on this site because we're cheap, we compete against them at auction and elsewhere for inventory, and many here don't need what they do, namely find good buses, sort out their problems, and inventory them for the right person to come along to match up to each bus. They're not all crooks. Some of them can find anything, too, which is very useful, and well worth the cost to the busy or the uninitiated. Good dealers provide real value for what they add to the bus (or about anything, really) price, or the market wouldn't support them long term.

I'm not steering you to a dealer, but without knowledge that comes from often bitter experience, you are vulnerable to the predatory side of the market. Piping up here with your first post halfway through this first (troubling) transaction isn't a good sign to me. Not being critical, and trying hard to keep you away from the crocodiles, but just sayin'...

Don't be ashamed to pay a dealer to help you get just the right bus, but you must also know what that is for you. A good dealer can help with that, too. Many here can vouch for (or warn you away from) particular dealers as easily as they can for buses themselves...
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Avoiding sales tax is not to me **such** a red flag, any more than knowing the seller is cheating on their spouse

but then I would never be pulling the trigger without inspecting in person and then paying a trusted mechanic to thoroughly check everything important mechanically.

If the VT "transferable registration" will suffice as a valid title in the jurisdiction I ultimately want to use, that should be enough.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlud1122 View Post
Unfortunately this afternoon the seller called me and told me the title wasn’t currently in his name but he did have the title in his possession which he provided pictures of. But the previous owner never signed the bus over to him so he provided a picture that was from the Vermont DMV with a transfer of ownership form filled out to his name.
This is were I think I need some clarification because he didn’t explain things well and it made me very unsure. He said he had mailed in his information to VT to get the bus registered but then proceeded to tell me that the VT registration would act as the buses title? Is he doing this to skip the sales tax, if so is he just getting a bonded title? If I purchase this bus would it then become my responsibility to get in contact with the last owner of the title to get it in my name? Are there ways to get around not having a title signed in my name if I have the original title and a bill of sale?

P.s. I feel like I should mention this as well but when he sent the transfer of ownership paperwork photos, the sale price written in the bus was $500 but he is asking $5000. Was this him avoiding sales tax or should I run far far away?

So, normally in this transaction, the original seller would have 1) signed and dated the original title (and the buyer/your seller would have signed and dated it at the same time) and 2) signed a Bill of Sale. Your seller would have then mailed copies of the signed-over title and the BOS along with a VIN inspection form filled out by a local LEO, and received back from the Vermont DMV a license plate and what's called a "transferrable registration". This registration is not a title (since VT doesn't give out new titles for vehicles older than 15 years), but it can be used as such for the purposes of transferring ownership of the vehicle if you ever sell it (and more importantly it can be used to retitle the vehicle in your home state).

So when you say "the previous owner never signed the bus over to him", it kind of suggests the previous owner never signed over the old title and never signed a BOS. But if that's the case, then it's not clear how your seller ever ended up with a Vermont transferrable registration, since Vermont would never have issued a registration without those documents.

If he has a valid VT transferrable registration for this bus, then that's all you'd need to take ownership once it's signed over to you - and since it's presumably registered as a motorhome, you could use this to immediately retitle the bus as a motorhome in your state (maybe, depending on the state). But I would ask him to at least clarify the situation, since he may have gotten the Vermont registration by forging stuff.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
Yes, details are red flags and my spidey sense says AVOID THIS SELLER.

All last-minute, by-the-way stories of why the title is defective, he doesn't actually own the bus, the 6 speed is really 5, the 3126 is really a C7, or maybe a 3116, or whatever, just drives me nuts. Been there, and paid too much for it.

No matter how nice and cooperative and sympathetic it all sounds, (maybe because of that) this transaction is all bad so far, particularly for a first time buyer. I've been buying and selling cars and trucks for more than 40 years. Sometimes a slippery character has a decent deal on offer, but on my first purchase from one I got burned. A couple more after that, too, over the years.

$5000 is not such a great deal on this bus depending on many factors, and I would bet real money that that this unit has many undisclosed problems. The description you have doesn't line up with how the bus would have been manufactured in 2004, for instance. This "oh, yeah..." title nonsense is just the beginning, in my experience.

$5k is a decent budget to acquire a bus. Hang on to your money. Even a dealer would find you a bus for that amount. Good ones are around. Start with them and you will quickly find out what is and is not available for that kind of money. Paying 25% more to buy from one of them who educates you and really puts the right bus under you may be money well spent.

Dealers get a bad rap on this site because we're cheap, we compete against them at auction and elsewhere for inventory, and many here don't need what they do, namely find good buses, sort out their problems, and inventory them for the right person to come along to match up to each bus. They're not all crooks. Some of them can find anything, too, which is very useful, and well worth the cost to the busy or the uninitiated. Good dealers provide real value for what they add to the bus (or about anything, really) price, or the market wouldn't support them long term.

I'm not steering you to a dealer, but without knowledge that comes from often bitter experience, you are vulnerable to the predatory side of the market. Piping up here with your first post halfway through this first (troubling) transaction isn't a good sign to me. Not being critical, and trying hard to keep you away from the crocodiles, but just sayin'...

Don't be ashamed to pay a dealer to help you get just the right bus, but you must also know what that is for you. A good dealer can help with that, too. Many here can vouch for (or warn you away from) particular dealers as easily as they can for buses themselves...
I appreciate the response, I’ve been to 3 dealers here in the Midwest so far and have not been having good experiences. I should mention I’m in Kansas City. Midwest transit has actually been very helpful and informative but every bus I’ve wanted from them sells before I have the chance to drive an inspect it. Also Midwest bus sales will not answer any of my emails or phone calls to inquire so it has left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m not against any dealers but it’s becoming clear I’m going to have to probably travel 10+ hours to find something worthwhile.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
So, normally in this transaction, the original seller would have 1) signed and dated the original title (and the buyer/your seller would have signed and dated it at the same time) and 2) signed a Bill of Sale. Your seller would have then mailed copies of the signed-over title and the BOS along with a VIN inspection form filled out by a local LEO, and received back from the Vermont DMV a license plate and what's called a "transferrable registration". This registration is not a title (since VT doesn't give out new titles for vehicles older than 15 years), but it can be used as such for the purposes of transferring ownership of the vehicle if you ever sell it (and more importantly it can be used to retitle the vehicle in your home state).

So when you say "the previous owner never signed the bus over to him", it kind of suggests the previous owner never signed over the old title and never signed a BOS. But if that's the case, then it's not clear how your seller ever ended up with a Vermont transferrable registration, since Vermont would never have issued a registration without those documents.

If he has a valid VT transferrable registration for this bus, then that's all you'd need to take ownership once it's signed over to you - and since it's presumably registered as a motorhome, you could use this to immediately retitle the bus as a motorhome in your state (maybe, depending on the state). But I would ask him to at least clarify the situation, since he may have gotten the Vermont registration by forging stuff.
That’s what confused me, he says he has a bill of sale and he has the previous title but his name isn’t on the title anywhere so I didn’t think it would be possible to register it without the sellers name on the title. He did supply a picture of the transfer of ownership form which he filled out on the back of the previous owners VT registration.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
it’s becoming clear I’m going to have to probably travel 10+ hours to find something worthwhile.
Worth it.

Maybe even camp out there until you find The One
Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I thought vermont didnt issue true titles on any vehicle 15 years or older so you wouldnt have a true title but would have a transferrable registration.. your sellever would give you a Bill of sale that you would take to your state's DMV.. you could also talk to your DMV.. or could keep it a vermont registered vehicle and have it transferred to you.. contacting vermont DMV would tell you for sure as they could verify him as the legal owner or not..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'd move on and find something else.

Too many odd things going on with that bus to make me feel good about it.

Why does he have a Vermont "registration" if he and the bus are both in Tennessee? Does he live in Vermont, or was that some loop hole he found to get the thing in his name.

As far as the 500-5000 drama, He might have bought the thing for 500, and is allowed to sell it for whatever he and you agree to. That's not illegal. What's illegal is if he puts the sale price between you two as 500 and you actually paid him 5000, that's called tax evasion.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
That’s what confused me, he says he has a bill of sale and he has the previous title but his name isn’t on the title anywhere so I didn’t think it would be possible to register it without the sellers name on the title. He did supply a picture of the transfer of ownership form which he filled out on the back of the previous owners VT registration.
Ah, now I see. He's essentially title-jumping (which is handing you the title signed over by the person he bought it from, without him having signed the buyer section and re-titled the vehicle) only he's doing it with the signed-over transferrable VT registration from the previous owner.

I'd say this is a hard pass. Title-jumping is illegal, and this is even weirder and more dubious than that since there might still be a valid title to this bus from some other state floating around (I, in fact, have both a valid PA title for my bus and the transferrable registration from VT).
Old 07-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Yes, the whole things seems like a combination of title-jumping and tax evasion coupled with potentially a forged or invalid title claim. Vermont's kind of like the Cayman Islands of vehicle registration which can play in our favor when trying to make the transition from bus to RV but this sounds like he is exploiting the lack of physical inspection to falsify an ownership claim or something along that line. All very sketchy sounding and not worth getting embroiled.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevrolet 427
Quote:
Ah, now I see. He's essentially title-jumping (which is handing you the title signed over by the person he bought it from, without him having signed the buyer section and re-titled the vehicle) only he's doing it with the signed-over transferrable VT registration from the previous owner.

I'd say this is a hard pass. Title-jumping is illegal, and this is even weirder and more dubious than that since there might still be a valid title to this bus from some other state floating around (I, in fact, have both a valid PA title for my bus and the transferrable registration from VT).
The OP said he was in TN, so he's obviously looking to avoid paying the sales tax on the registration. TN is not a Title-only state,.. you have to register it and pay the Sales Taxes in order to get a TN Title. Also a possibility,.. he's his the 10 vehicle soft-limit allowed for transfers for non dealers in TN. In order to transfer more than 10 titles in a fiscal year in TN, you have to be a licensed dealer.
Placeholder Bus Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Why does he have a Vermont "registration" if he and the bus are both in Tennessee? Does he live in Vermont, or was that some loop hole he found to get the thing in his name.
Wow, using the easy mailorder VT rego is probably the most famous and helpful factoid around here

Read up and be enlightened!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/how-to-immediately-register-your-bus-as-an-rv-without-conversion-15292.html#post165864
Old 07-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Hang in there!

As someone else who is looking, I can empathize with how hard it is to walk away from something when red flags start to show up. I try to remember that red flags are like the tip of the iceberg that we see above the surface. Just because they don't always seem like clear-cut deal breakers, what they really are is clues about what's going on beneath the surface, which is nothing we want to mess with. Best of luck, and I truly hope no matter which way you ultimately go, everything works out!
MamaPoplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
Skoolie

Another "Curbstoner" ILLEGALLY selling vehicles in TN to avoid paying sales tax and registration fees.

It is illegal in every state in the USA to posses an OPEN TITLE or OPEN REGISTRATION that is not in the sellers name or selling dealer's name. In most states a selling dealer can "reassign" the title or registration to the new purchaser without physically gitting new title or registration in dealer's name. An individual seller CANNOT reassign a title that has already been filed out with a buyers name on the back of a title. This is how it works in TN. I am a licensed motor vehicle dealer in the State of Tennessee.

Having said all this illegally selling vehicles OPEN TITLE is done everyday in TN and every other state in the USA.

Just remember if YOU buy a vehicle OPEN TITLE from a "Curbstoner" and there becomes a problem with the title or registration when YOU go to register the vehicle in your name the "Curbstoner" who illegally sold YOU the vehicle will deny selling the vehicle to YOU and knowing ANYTHING about that vehicle since there name is not associated anywhere with paperwork for the vehicle. That seller is also committing Sale Tax Fraud. The State of Tennessee wants their money, does not like the competition and will go after that "Curbstoner" when they find out about them.

The person who is listed on the front of the title/registration who IS legal owner is not required to do a damn thing to help YOU out of YOUR problem since YOU did not purchase the vehicle directly from that legal owner.

IF this seller has a CURRENT AND VALID VT registration in their name (Call VT DMV to check), if VT is a "License Receipt Only" state for registration meaning they do not issue titles for vehicles older than X number of years and this vehicle is older than that age requirement then you would be OK buying the bus with a "License Receipt" registration as that's all there is and all that's required in VT. GA, AL NY and several other states of which VT may be one do not issue titles only "License Receipt" registration for older vehicles depending upon the year model of the vehicle and those states registration laws.

If YOU understand all this and YOU are willing to take the risk knowing the problems that could result GO FOR IT!

Most likely YOU will not have any problems at all HOWEVER if you do what are YOU going to do????

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:

I think you have sussed out the situation and explained it well.

Your PA title (I'm pretty darn sure) is only a pretty book-mark. The VIN data-base will not back it up as a current document.

RE: the OP and the bus -- as with any sale like this, I'd have someone local check the bus out before agreeing to buy it.

Not having a "clean" title in this case is not a deal breaker to me -- I would offer less money as a result though!

I would INSIST on the current owner getting the Vt. DMV VIN verification form filled out so you can be assured the VIN is legit and that you can re-register in Vt. without hassle.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Another "Curbstoner" ILLEGALLY selling vehicles in TN to avoid paying sales tax and registration fees.

It is illegal in every state in the USA to posses an OPEN TITLE or OPEN REGISTRATION that is not in the sellers name or selling dealer's name. In most states a selling dealer can "reassign" the title or registration to the new purchaser without physically gitting new title or registration in dealer's name. An individual seller CANNOT reassign a title that has already been filed out with a buyers name on the back of a title. This is how it works in TN. I am a licensed motor vehicle dealer in the State of Tennessee.

Having said all this illegally selling vehicles OPEN TITLE is done everyday in TN and every other state in the USA.

Just remember if YOU buy a vehicle OPEN TITLE from a "Curbstoner" and there becomes a problem with the title or registration when YOU go to register the vehicle in your name the "Curbstoner" who illegally sold YOU the vehicle will deny selling the vehicle to YOU and knowing ANYTHING about that vehicle since there name is not associated anywhere with paperwork for the vehicle. That seller is also committing Sale Tax Fraud. The State of Tennessee wants their money, does not like the competition and will go after that "Curbstoner" when they find out about them.

The person who is listed on the front of the title/registration who IS legal owner is not required to do a damn thing to help YOU out of YOUR problem since YOU did not purchase the vehicle directly from that legal owner.

IF this seller has a CURRENT AND VALID VT registration in their name (Call VT DMV to check), if VT is a "License Receipt Only" state for registration meaning they do not issue titles for vehicles older than X number of years and this vehicle is older than that age requirement then you would be OK buying the bus with a "License Receipt" registration as that's all there is and all that's required in VT. GA, AL NY and several other states of which VT may be one do not issue titles only "License Receipt" registration for older vehicles depending upon the year model of the vehicle and those states registration laws.

If YOU understand all this and YOU are willing to take the risk knowing the problems that could result GO FOR IT!

Most likely YOU will not have any problems at all HOWEVER if you do what are YOU going to do????

You're mostly correct, however most state DMVs don't bother enforcing curbstoner laws even though they're on the books. Just in my city alone we have 4-5 private individiuals that flaunt curbstoning laws with reckless abandon (1 of these individuals will have anywhere from 5 to 12 cars for sale out of his backyard in a given month!!). I looked at one of his cars and verified that his name was nowhere on any of the titles for the vehicles he was selling. Same guy is constantly having to make fake profiles on facebook since his old ones get banned or hidden due to the terrible reviews from the poor folks that buy his clunkers.

As others have said, $5k will get you a really nice bus...if you're willing to wait and/or travel for the right one. I scored a 2001 Blue Bird AARE with 8.3 Cummins (which is a more desirable motor than any of the Cats, btw) for $4k. Rust free from Colorado (Wyoming before that). Big dealers like Midwest Transit don't like dealing with individuals, they prefer the South Americans that fly up and buy 5-20 buses at a time.

I did have to fly from Milwaukee to Denver to pick it up but I verified that the seller had a clean title in his name before I made the journey.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
You're mostly correct, however most state DMVs don't bother enforcing curbstoner laws even though they're on the books. Just in my city alone we have 4-5 private individiuals that flaunt curbstoning laws with reckless abandon (1 of these individuals will have anywhere from 5 to 12 cars for sale out of his backyard in a given month!!). I looked at one of his cars and verified that his name was nowhere on any of the titles for the vehicles he was selling. Same guy is constantly having to make fake profiles on facebook since his old ones get banned or hidden due to the terrible reviews from the poor folks that buy his clunker.
I believe you might find that while the DMV may not care about the Curbstoner's operating in you local town your state's Department of Revenue just might be very interested in talking to and meeting with your local Curbstoner's IF you were to give the Department of Revenue a call!

Remember the Department of Revenue wants THEIR MONEY and they do not like competition for THEIR MONEY!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
My girlfriend and I have been searching nonstop for weeks once we had decided to take the skoolie plunge and I have come across a few buses that I though for our needs. Of course the first bus we checked out was a junket and the second seller sold the bus after we had driven 5 hours to see it.
So when I came across this 2004 Blue Bird Pusher with a 3126 and 6 speed Allison we were very excited. We were prepared to leave this morning to drive to Tennessee to hopefully purchase this bus as long as everything on our list checked out. Unfortunately this afternoon the seller called me and told me the title wasn’t currently in his name but he did have the title in his possession which he provided pictures of. But the previous owner never signed the bus over to him so he provided a picture that was from the Vermont DMV with a transfer of ownership form filled out to his name.

The Vermont transfer of ownership "form" filled out in his name does not indicate a transfer has occurred. We live in New Mexico and our bus is registered in VT. They do not provide a title for vehicles older than 15 years, but the registration, which is not an application for transfer of ownership, is transferable.
In order to complete VT registration you must provide a valid bill of sale.
It makes sense that if the buyer had a bill of sale the present to Vermont he would be able to show it to you. It also makes sense that if the original seller had provided a bill of sale he would have signed the title as well.
Don't waste the trip to get screwed our of your money.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying advice, buying our first bus, title transfer, titling