Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Potential Problems

A buddy of mine is moving from IL to IA and has to offload his '87 International by the end of the month. I'm trying to step up and take it, as it wouldn't cost me a thing for the bus itself....here is where the problem begins..I'm in California and will be bussing out to Illinois to pick up the bus if this goes down. Apparently he bought it 3 years ago and had a temporary operating permit on it...ran it out to SoCal and loaded up his 3 bedroom house and drug it all back east...no problems. He has the title, with his signature on the back, but he never turned it in as he wasnt sure if he was going to build this one out or what...

So I don't exactly know what I'm getting into here. Sounds like a couple years worth of tax penalties? Who am I needing to contact to find out more? My local DMV or should I have him put it in my name out there? What am I going to have to do to get it home? Am I gonna end up paying for multiple things like temp tags to get it back and then conversion fees to register it as an RV?

With Fuel costs getting it back home and all the paperwork, am I gonna be over my head in a couple grand just to get it on the road legally?

Trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth...even excited about the final production year 9.0...but can't afford to put that much in right now. Feeling obligated to help a friend especially because I'm hunting for a bus...and free is nice...unless it's not!

Hemp Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't know that this helps?
For me in nc all I need to bring a vehicle in from another state is
Proof of insurance
Bill of sale even if it is for 1$
And a temp tag.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I suppose it depends if the signature is dated or not. No date - should be no problem. If it was dated when it was previously sold (and he signed it), then that complicates things. There may be penalties/fees that will have to be paid, or the title may have to be transferred before it can be "sold" to you.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

What about the not being registered or ever turning in the title in the last 2 years since he purchased it....how hard is that going to be to iron out?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Is the title dated? It's quite common around here to just sign them and not put a date on it. Buyer can put whatever date and price he wants.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Having him check that info, will update when I know more.