Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84
Pre-conversion & unregistered in KY - that simple?

I've been told (by both Co clerk's office and sheriff's office) that I can legally drive my pre-conversion 40' Thomas w/o any registration and w/o a CDL, as long as I have insurance and the paperwork (old title and bill of sale) to show that I legally own the bus and that I am in the process of converting it and plan to register as an RV once conversion is complete.

Background:
  • Bus is titled in TN where it was retired from service in 2019
  • I bought it from a dealer in western KY who delivered it to Louisville for me
  • Got insurance through Progressive as a commercial vehicle for personal use
  • I tried to register in VT as a motorhome, but was denied because the bus was still yellow (need to repaint and reapply)
  • Don't want to repaint until after completing a roof-raise
  • Need to drive the bus to get some conversion work (including roof raise & painting) completed, but I don't have a CDL (have no desire to get one), and don't want to go through the hassle of registering the bus under my name (requires sheriff's inspection in KY, addl fees, etc) pre-conversion unless I have to

I called the county clerk's office to learn the bear minimum that would be required to be legal while driving the bus around town pre-conversion. Was told that there was no need to register given that i) I would not be using the bus as a commercial vehicle and ii) I could not register it as an RV until conversion was complete.

As long as I had insurance and could show proof of ownership in the form of the old title and bill of sale, I could drive it w/o registration AND w/o a CDL.

I called the local sheriff's office to confirm, and was told (without hesitation) that what I had been told by the clerk's office was correct. I could legally drive w/o CDL or registration.

Anyone else been given the same guidance? Seems to good to be true.

tomrasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Must be true then, unless it's a plot to trap you.

In practice this is 99% true nationwide, including interstate, getting vehicles home from the auction / purchase location.

I would think the intent is travel for the purpose of getting the conversion done, not recreational traipsing about.

The one caveat is not so much getting a ticket, but a sneaky insurance company using it to not pay out liability in the event of an expensive accident.

Also, that one LEO with a vendetta not allowing you to proceed forcing a tow.

Maybe very low odds for either, but big downsides
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
While I agree that in most places, a CDL isn't required...I strongly disagree that it's not necessary to get registration. Well, it's not so much that I disagree as that the Kentucky law requires it. It's pretty clear that you only have 15 days after purchase to get registration. Screenshot of the applicable KY law below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.01.27 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	63097

Most states require registration before a vehicle can be operated on the roadways. It's because of those laws that we always jump through the hoops to get, at least, a trip permit.

I think most officers will ignore a bus on the freeway...but we like having the permit or temp plates.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote