Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Pre-Conversion Insurance with Progressive

Skoolie Fam! Just wanted to share my experience getting insurance for the drive home - PRE-CONVERSION - with Progressive!

Based on everything I've read (thanks Skoolie Fam!) - we need a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" Liability Policy. Those are the magic words apparently. You will get a different policy with a different carrier when your conversion is complete.

My experience:
1. Go online to Progressive Commercial ( https://www.progressivecommercial.com/ ) and start the "quote online process" by entering your zip and selecting "Commercial Auto" - click GET QUOTE.

2. On the next page, in the upper left, there is a little "REQUEST A CALL" button. DO THIS!
(Don’t waste your time calling the 1800 number - I spent a total of 40 minutes, 3 separate calls on hold until I clicked this REQUEST A CALL button - then I got a call in 1 minute and was talking to an agent in 4 minutes.)

3. Be super nice to your agent - they're your friend now
Key points: You have a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" - tell them you're going to use it for storage on your property - “hey it's cheaper than a shipping container or free-standing shed!”

4.THE BIG QUESTION: They will ask "What kind of vehicle is this?" I started with "1995 International" and when he asked again I just told him "it's an old school bus, we got a killer deal on it!"
My agent was super cool about it, and didn’t skip a beat when I said “school bus”
Don’t mention anything about your conversion, RVs, motor homes, or anything like that - this policy is ONLY for the bus pre-conversion. You will have to call a different insurance company (I hear State Farm) for the RV / Conversion insurance.

5. Provide your VIN#, all drivers’ information (name, age, birthdate, driver’s licence #, etc)

6. They will run some numbers, and ask some questions about the vehicle:
- how far will the vehicle be driven? (I gave them the miles i will drive the bus home from auction, in my case 250mi)
- what will it be used for? (storage)
- where will it be parked? - (your property)
- does it have a wheelchair lift? (yes/no)
- does it still have all of the seats? (i said maybe, but i will take them out when i pick up the bus, my agent entered “no” on his side)
- just stick to your guns that this is an innocent little storage bus, no big deal!!

7. I opted out of any additional insurance, just stuck to a 6mo. Liability policy covering other’s property - I was off the phone with my policy in 26minutes - $260 for coverage!

I think I got the order of operations right there - bottom line, be friendly, stick to your guns, NO this is not an RV, it is a Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use - Liability Policy (available in 6mo, 12mo, MAYBE 1mo policies)

These guys have a pretty good guide also - https://www.skoolielivin.com/school-...ion-insurance/

GOOD LUCK - DRIVE SAFE - HAVE FUN!!!
Bear Gerschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Just a quick update - got my Progressive ID cards and Certificate of Insurance (electric copies) today! After completing the call with the agent, it took about 20 hours to go live on my progressive account.

Hope this helps someone
Bear Gerschafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive home, insurance, pre-conversion insurance, progressive