Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Blue Bird TC2000
Engine: Cummins 24V 5.9/ Allison 2500
Progressive Canceled Our Insurance Policy

Just logged on to pay our renewal bill for our Progressive Policy (Commercial For Personal Use) and found out they're not going to renew us. The official word is that the type of vehicle we have is now considered "An Unacceptable Risk" by Progressive.

Has anyone else had this happen to them by Progressive?

We tried to get an RV policy through our agent 7 or 8 months ago, but because we don't have a "garageable address", nobody would work with us. National General almost did, until we didn't have that garageable address.

Anyone have any ideas for going forward? Unfortunately we are on a serious time crunch until our policy expires. And we're about 2,000 miles away from our state of residence (Indiana).

Ourversionoflife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this.

FWIW, we also have the same type of policy (commercial for personal use), and it's also through progressive. We renewed in April of this year (2022) without issue. Why it wasn't a problem for us then, and is for you now, I have absolutely no clue.

I guess if I were in your shoes I'd be figuring out a way to get it registered as an RV ASAP, even if it meant installing a few make-shift items temporarily to satisfy whatever requirements your state mandates. Good luck.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourversionoflife3 View Post
Just logged on to pay our renewal bill for our Progressive Policy (Commercial For Personal Use) and found out they're not going to renew us. The official word is that the type of vehicle we have is now considered "An Unacceptable Risk" by Progressive.

Has anyone else had this happen to them by Progressive?

We tried to get an RV policy through our agent 7 or 8 months ago, but because we don't have a "garageable address", nobody would work with us. National General almost did, until we didn't have that garageable address.

Anyone have any ideas for going forward? Unfortunately we are on a serious time crunch until our policy expires. And we're about 2,000 miles away from our state of residence (Indiana).
I too got Progressive…..
I am in the renewal process right now. They again asked me to explain usage of the bus…I told them that I do use if for both business ( mobile office) and also for pleasure too, mini getaways.

Surprisingly they want me to change the policy from commercial/ personal use to a motor home policy….

They want pictures of the interior !
I afraid of a denial so I just gonna keep it the way it is.

When I first started the policy, I paid in full then a month later I got the cancelation notice.
Called them and explained how I use it for both business and pleasure…and they cancelled the cancelation !!!

I would recommend you call and speak to another person, it could be that the 100% pleasure usage has no commercial activity attached to it and that just might be why they say that is is “unacceptable risk”.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #4

Hello Skoolie friend, I read the story and I have progressive insurance, I ask them about the bus quote, and they ask me a bunch of questions. I think I just tell him it is use for business, and not for pleasure “vacation “ . Thank you for your ad.
KOYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: CE
Chassis: International
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29,500
Progressive dropped us too, once they realized our bus wasn't converted. We're currently under General, but the plan is to switch back once the title officially says RV. Did you have your bus re-titled?
headdownlow0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdownlow0624 View Post
Progressive dropped us too, once they realized our bus wasn't converted. We're currently under General, but the plan is to switch back once the title officially says RV. Did you have your bus re-titled?

interesting.. progressive wants my bus to be NON converted.. they told me they would drop me if I converted it and would need to get RV insurance...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I was insured through national general, then progressive for a couple months, and have been foremost for a few years now.

When I was talking with progressive, I was told by someone at corporate that they'd insure buses, and they'd insure RV's, but they were no longer interested in insuring buses converted to RV's(skoolies). You could always get an immediate yes, and a policy(either commercial or rv), but when the underwriters reviewed it a few weeks(or months) later, they'd cancel because of it being a skoolie.

Do a search on here. At the time, I remember progressive cancelling several members' policies and left a lot of us were scrambling to find something.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Blue Bird TC2000
Engine: Cummins 24V 5.9/ Allison 2500
I didn't really follow up on here after we got this issue resolved, so here goes:

We do have our bus re-titled and registered as an RV. We got in touch with our local agent as soon as we could and to our shock, she got a quote from Progressive for a "Full Timer Self-Converted Bus" policy (or something like that).

But the main point is it seems some companies are recognizing the large and growing market for insuring set ups like ours that must make the risk ok now since there are so many people paying into the system, or at least that's my thinking.

In any case, we have outstanding coverage now with a policy that actually reflects what we have. Who knew?
Ourversionoflife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Thanks for the follow up.