Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Progressive just dropped us today...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Speaking of which, has anyone taken the time to check out the finished product yet? Link in my sig... check it out!
Hey I took a moment & listened & I like Anamoly!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #42
Bus Nut

While I agree that School buses are about the safest thing on the road...by design... they are indeed not as wide as the hiway buses... Standard width on a school bus is 90" while the hiway bus is 102" wide. Be that as it may, I really don't think a school bus on it's own is any more likely to roll over.

However, once you start raising the roof on these things, and adding in over head cabinetry and loading them up with stuff etc... that will change the center of gravity on the bus. I too think it's a bunch of BS, but it's clear that most insurance companies will not insure them and as such we are at their whim... like it or not!!

Hell, even if they are more prone to roll over, I'd be willing bet dollars to donuts that it's far more survivable than a hiway bus in a roll over situation...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #43
Bus Nut

[quote=CHEESE_WAGON]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHEESE_WAGON":1zac6v8v
Speaking of which, has anyone taken the time to check out the finished product yet? Link in my sig... check it out!
Hey I took a moment & listened & I like Anamoly!
To be released later this year....... Still working out details of InterNet sales. Sorry to hijack someone's thread, LOL....[/quote:1zac6v8v]
Ah don't applogize! This was my thread...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
I got 'the letter' from Progressive yesterday.

30 day notice, they do not insure converted school buses.

Life goes on.....
GMAC... sign up online, no questions!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think we're both safe. However, the Jacuzzi Bus may run into problems.
I was driving down RT60 on my way to Socorro NM to get supplies, pulled over to take a leak at a roadside picnic area & low & behold I saw this & thought of you...cept maybe a different finger!

yea I wonder what the Jacuzzi bus weighs in at?!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: SturdiVan
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 7.3 IDI Navistar diesel
Rated Cap: 8

Here's my story with Progressive:

After I got the registration status changed from bus to "MH" at the California DMV, I bought a progressive policy directly from their online website. I too eventually received the "show us proof of what this vehicle is or we're gonna drop you" letter, and called in to see what it was that I needed to do. The rep I was talking to asked me a bunch of questions about the vehicle since I had entered it as a class-C motorhome with "other" as the make. When he eventually got to the dreaded "Is it a converted school bus" question, I answered yes and was told that I couldn't be insured. However, instead of canceling the policy, the guy told me to just do nothing and see what happened. Since then, about 5-6 months has passed, during which I've received 3 or 4 more "Tell us what this is or we'll cancel you" letters. I never responded to any of them, they never actually canceled me, and they seem to have stopped sending me the letters. So maybe just try ignoring them?

Also,
For those of you with "fringe" Progressive policies worried about making a claim, I had to file a claim several weeks ago when a friend of mine cut a corner short and hit some lady's Dodge Stratus (I drive this thing almost daily though the dense traffic of San Francisco...its a miracle this didn't happen sooner). The bus was basically unscathed, but needless to say her car was pretty f'ed up. I called Progressive, told them what happened, and they we're happy to cover all the damages to her car. No questions were asked about it being a school bus, so don't sweat it too much
GoldenGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #47

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 636
Engine: Caterpillar 3208
Rated Cap: 72

Wow, I just learned sooooo much about bus insurance... Thanks! I've been with Progressive for years with my truck and Motorcycles, but if I'm going to have to get another company for my schoolie, (gonna look into GMAC) then I'm taking all my other vehicles with me. If for nothing else, I just don't like to write any more checks, or keep track of any more bills than I need to.

I too agree that it's all a bunch of BS (if you don't, you aren't paying very much attention to things - one man's opinion) but I guess that all we can do is vote???

I'm about an hour old as a member here, and I look forward to enjoying the experience!

Cheers, and thank you!

HB-
hammmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Go to the Escapees Discussion Forum. If you scroll down the page you will find a section called "ask The Experts". This is where you can ask questions of the insurance companies. Many companies, including Progressive, will not cover an RV that is lived in Full-time. They will sell you a policy, but will either cancel or refuse to pay out on a claim. GMAC and Poliseek (formerly AON) will cover bus conversions. I don't think it matters what kind of bus.

http://www.poliseek.com/rv (website if you just want to get a quote)
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Quote:
Originally Posted by case
I got 'the letter' from Progressive yesterday.

30 day notice, they do not insure converted school buses.

Life goes on.....
GMAC... sign up online, no questions!
what exact GMAC website are you signing up on? I tried the GMAC quote site and it doesnt let me select anything close to what I actually have.

Also, has anyone ever tried titling as an historic vehicle? A state trooper advised me to do this with my 87 Wayne/Chevy back when I bought it.
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredg
what exact GMAC website are you signing up on? I tried the GMAC quote site and it doesnt let me select anything close to what I actually have.

Also, has anyone ever tried titling as an historic vehicle? A state trooper advised me to do this with my 87 Wayne/Chevy back when I bought it.
First, a typical conventional school bus is a Medium Duty Truck (Chevy C60, C70, Ford F600, F700, International 3800, 4700, etc.) chassis. I, for one, intend to try retitling mine as an F700 "TRUCK" or "VAN" when I do it.

Historic / Antique vehicle is supposedly only for show purposes.... driving to and from shows and maintenance/repairs is all that is really allowed. Most cops will not mess with you for other purposes, though. Has to be 25+ years old.
I bought my skoolie for a bunch of sentimental reasons but have decided to convert it to a tailgating vehicle. In the meantime i very rarely drive it. In Maryland if its over 20 years old it can be registered historic. All they ask is that you sign something saying you arent going to drive it as a daily driver. I currently have GMAC and its much more expensive than what people on here are paying. I am trying to go somewhere else or try to get a better rate from them. Thats why I am trying to figure out what exact GMAC link you clicked to get instant online insurance??

[EDIT] I got a rate of $649/12 mo. from GMAC online. I guess that aint bad. Better than before.
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #51
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag
I knew someone who had Progressive on a bus, but they paid $1000 for 1 year of liability only! Then they found another company that charged them around $120 for a year. I insure my driver's license since it's cheaper that way with all the vehicles I have, and I can drive anything I want to (including other people's cars) and don't have to explain a bus conversion to anyone. Mine's licensed as a non-commercial truck since I don't have enough RV components installed yet.
I am curious about this, what state are you in, and you don't have to list your individual vehicles on your policy?
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #52
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Go to the Escapees Discussion Forum. If you scroll down the page you will find a section called "ask The Experts". This is where you can ask questions of the insurance companies. Many companies, including Progressive, will not cover an RV that is lived in Full-time. They will sell you a policy, but will either cancel or refuse to pay out on a claim. GMAC and Poliseek (formerly AON) will cover bus conversions. I don't think it matters what kind of bus.

http://www.poliseek.com/rv (website if you just want to get a quote)
Requested a quote from Poliseek for a bus conversion, since they specifically mention school buses on their website. Got a phone call the next day. The sales rep asked 2 questions - will it be registered in CT (same as my address), and was it a school bus or transit. I said yes, and school, and she said they had no market for that type of liability. (Might just be in this state.)

Just got off the phone with GMAC. $278 for 6 months, state minimum liability on the bus. Said it was a bus conversion that I did myself. Didn't mention the word school, and she didn't ask. Previous title just says "bus." Now the challenging part - DMV.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

That is a bummer Smitty. I have Progressive. They haven't caught up to me--yet. Insurance sure is a racket.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Insurance should be an option ONLY, not compelled. However, thanks to their lobby, we live in a "progressive" country.....
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #55

Year: 84
Chassis: ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Got re-insured today....with Allstate, $120 cheaper than Blowgressive....and was sent away with a tee-shirt, pen, water bottle, coffee mug, a couple key rings, and probably a couple other small "trinkets" Liability for my bus is $165/year.

Smitty

What did you tell them did you actually talk to an agent?
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think this boils down to the state you are in. NO companies will insure a skoolie in VA, not even GMAC. That is what I was told by a GMAC agent. Yet another reason to leave this bullshit Communist state.
I have liability only from GMAC on 2 skoolies. One has been about 2 years I think, and the other has been less than 6 months.

I live in VA.

I think you must have talked to a misinformed agent.

But I agree, getting out of VA is a goal of mine too.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote