Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Progressive just dropped us today...?

We just purchased our Thomas & had insurance for about 2 weeks. We originally were told by USAA that they will insure us but on purchasing the bus a different rep automatically transferred us to Progressive & told us they do not insure RV's.

So today my wife called Progressive to inform them that her name was spelled wrong on the new policy & could they help her reset her password so she can register online. Well in the process of this conversation the rep started asking questions about the bus, make, model, year etc. After telling her that it is a 1989 Thomas bus as that is what the title states, & also informed her that it is titled as private, not commercial she told us that they will not insure a bus or conversion.

Well this led to us now being in the postition of losing our new insurance policy in about a month or less. My questions are... Should I approach this differently when inquiring about insurance? The title has no model, just type. It states BU. It also states private. We are initially using this bus as a way to move to NM & it won't be converted anytime soon. What do I call a vehicle like this as it is not a bus nor is it an RV...
Also, please direct me to a good insurance company that will cover us please!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Progressive just dropped us today...?

Thanks, that is my next move!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I got the same letter from progressive.. said something like "your policy has been canceled becasue it is a converted school bus" not sure why.

When I called them to get coverage, they asked the vin, make, model ect.. I gave them the vin, told them it's a motorhome (that's what the title says) & it was no problem. Then I got a letter asking for a copy of the regestration or the title, so I faxed a copy of the title and a few weeks later I got the letter.

I haven't called to argue. I have a hard time argueing with someone to take my money...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I got the same letter from progressive.. said something like "your policy has been canceled becasue it is a converted school bus" not sure why.

When I called them to get coverage, they asked the vin, make, model ect.. I gave them the vin, told them it's a motorhome (that's what the title says) & it was no problem. Then I got a letter asking for a copy of the regestration or the title, so I faxed a copy of the title and a few weeks later I got the letter.

I haven't called to argue. I have a hard time argueing with someone to take my money...
Yep, exact same scenario for the most part. I just don't get why they would give us a policy & 2 weeks later take it away. This is not a company I care to do business with anyway!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I went through something similar too, one insurance agent to the next, they would work up the policy, and make a call or two then tell me they (Progressive) couldn't write the policy because it was a bus. Then I got them to try GMAC and ran up against what seemed like a similar road block. On my 4th GMAC agent she finally called them and asked why the policy kept being rejected... They informed her that only GMAC could write the policy, and that I needed to call them directly. So I did exactly that, took 20 minutes on the phone and a credit card (debit card actually)... 1-800-325-1088

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Just before Progressive dumped us they were asking all kinds of questions about the title, the main question being - is it titled as a bus? Yes I answered, says BU. I think this is the sole reason I was dropped by Progressive.

Yesterday I was delivered a code violation from the city code enforcement office (for the same reason). They stated that because my title on the Thomas stated BU for bus that my bus was a commercial vehicle even tho it was titled as private use. So, I went to the tag office & told them that my title was incorrect & it should have been titled as a motorhome or MH. They required no proof besides my word that it is in fact a MH & not a bus & they changed my title for me, free of charge. What I am getting at is if my bus was titled as a MH in the first place i may not be having problems with Progressive... or the city!

Gone Camping, What are you paying for insurance thru GMAC? Is it liability or full coverage?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Mine is titled as a motorhome, but I was still dropped from progressive. Somehow they figured out that it was a converted school bus, maybe by the vin?

Jason has progressive on his latest jacuzzi bus, and hasn't been canceled. I don't know what he did diffrently.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #8

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Well I have a progressive policy...and I have a full policy on our bus its a 92 bluebird its regesterd as a bus but insured as a RV, now what i found was that diffrent states have diffrent policy's... Montana has a policy that insures us for $10,000 for our persnol effects and 6,000 for the bus, at $85.00 a month. Now that being said i tried to regester the bus in maine were we will be heading in a little while. And the maine branch would not insure the bus, soo hint hint
MtnGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I have a quote from progressive and planned on using them (havent registered the bus yet). I guess I should think twice. At first I called GMAC, the lady was rude and was adamant that they did not insure conversions so I gave up feeling very annoyed considering how many people on this board use GMAC. There is nothing worse than argueing with someone that you are trying to do business with. Then I called Progressive directly and they told me the same thing. So I went to my broker who got me a quote through Progressive - left me a little confused about the whole ordeal.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Bus Nut

After hearing the mixed responses I just don't understand why Progressive is so vague on who will get coverage & who won't... Either you cover conversions, OR you don't!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Bus Nut

My policy with GMAC is Liability only, they wouldn't offer me anything more than that. It cost me $50 per month too.. But I live in a large city where insurance premiums are already kind of high, that has to figure into the equasion.

In the other attempts, the agents would work up the entire thing with progressive, then at the last minute the computer would flag the application, which forced the agent to call them... after each of those calls is when I was told Progressive couldn't do it... and each agent I tried seemed to be somewhat surprised that Progressive wouldn't insure it.

Kamoo, if you get turned down by Progressive, I'd give GMAC another call, it may have been one cranky operator... I had no problems and I wound up talking with 2 different people because I had to delay payment while I ran to the bank to make my debit card good...

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Bus Geek

i just got my letter from progressive asking questions about my title. i'm sure i'm going to be the next one to be dropped. I have my cars, house,motorcycle, and bus all insured with progressive. i'll consider moving all of my vehicles over to a different company.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Bus Nut

The problem could be that the Progressive agents get confused and dont quite understand what type of vehicle that you have. Or maybe some people call and get straight to the point and tell them it is a conversion then get rejected and others maybe call it a motorhome and get coverage until they find out? I have had nothing but good experiences with Progressive and would recommend them to anyone, too bad they don't officially cover or not cover skoolies.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoo
The problem could be that the Progressive agents get confused and dont quite understand what type of vehicle that you have. Or maybe some people call and get straight to the point and tell them it is a conversion then get rejected and others maybe call it a motorhome and get coverage until they find out? I have had nothing but good experiences with Progressive and would recommend them to anyone, too bad they don't officially cover or not cover skoolies.
So is your skoolie insured with Progressive also??
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
i just got my letter from progressive asking questions about my title. i'm sure i'm going to be the next one to be dropped. I have my cars, house,motorcycle, and bus all insured with progressive. i'll consider moving all of my vehicles over to a different company.
Don't respond.... lets see what happens.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Bus Nut

No, I dont have it registered yet, figured Id wait until it is almost ready before getting insurance and all. Until I read this I had full intentions of insuring through Progressive, now I wont.

Lapeer20m - I know it will be agravating to say the least if they drop you but I wouldnt be too quick in switching. I have had 2 claims with Progressive, one for a not at fault accident with a DUI driver $15k damage plus injury to myself and another for a break in/theft within 2 years. The other driver had Geico and they were a PITA, they came out and wrote an estimate for about $4k (they were paying for repairs) until Progressive and the bodyshop went to bat with the Geico adjuster for me. After the breakin, Progressive came to my house, looked at the damages and receipts for items that were stolen, went back to their car and 15 mins later came back to the door with a check for more than enough to get the truck repaired and replace all of the missing items, no BS, no argueing, no depreciation deduction, nothing, it was great and no rate increases. I also have rental on my policy and they kept insisting on me using it until the perfectly driveable truck (only in dash GPS and cosmetic issues) was repaired from the theft, even after I told them it is just a waste of their money. About 8 years prior to this I had another insurer, mercury I think? and had a car stolen. That was a mess of argueing and delays, taught me my lesson. My wife, father and a coworker all had Geico (completely seperate policys) and about a month after getting their policy and "low rate" they raised it on them, almost a bait and switch.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I'm guessing they must have had a claim or two from converted bus owners that cost them a bunch of money, and as such they are now getting away from them. Just a guess... One of the KEY questions I got asked from the agents trying to push it through Progressive was "Is this but professionally converted?"

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Bus Nut

GoneCamping - I got that same question, dont remember if it was GMAC or Progressive
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Well mine is titled as a motorhome & they dropped me.

I never even mentioned that it was a "conversion" I just said it's a bluebird motorhome... they asked "yeah but what model" I said it doesn't say, just says motorhome on my title & registration. I bet the word conversion raises a serious red flag with any insurer.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
Bus Nut

I am calling GMAC today to try to get insurance. My bus is just an empty vehicle with no conversion yet. We want just the basic insurance to get it to New Mexico. It is titled as an RV. Any advice on what I should or should not tell them on the phone? Since it is not a conversion but is titled as an RV do I mention conversion? HELP!