Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Proof of insurance For registration

Hello, new here need some help.
I'm looking to purchase a bus in a local auction, the issue is them being a dealership I need to have/obtain proof of insurance to take it off the lot because I have to register it with them, or have it towed. With only 3days to collect it as well.

I've called around and nobody is willing to insure it but I dont even want insurance for it at this time.

To have it towed 3 hours away and figuring out who would even do that to begin with seems ridiculous to me as well as expensive.

I asked the auction house what agency typically do they see people have when they collect these buses. They said progressive, I called progressive doesnt do it.

All I can think of doing now is either trying to go thru the progressive app hoping itll get over looked for a day then inevitably canceled.
Or having it towed off the lot to across the street and taking my chances of driving it the rest of the way.
I don't know what other options I have.
Tranist permit? I don't have a cdl. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Drb369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
You need to call a progressive commercial insurance agent. Not an auto agent...

Just say you have a bus you're going to only use for personal use and you would like a "Commercial For Personal Use" policy.

You can cancel it when you get the bus home or as soon as you tell progressive you're converting it to a motorhome, they'll cancel it.

I think it's better if you cancel it...

Saying what state you're in and where you're going will help others give you more specific ideas

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

I'm located in sw florida. I'll call again and talk to the commerical department. Is there anything I should or shouldn't mention. Appreciate the reply banman
Drb369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drb369 View Post
Hello, new here need some help.
I'm looking to purchase a bus in a local auction, the issue is them being a dealership I need to have/obtain proof of insurance to take it off the lot because I have to register it with them, or have it towed. With only 3days to collect it as well.

I've called around and nobody is willing to insure it but I dont even want insurance for it at this time.

To have it towed 3 hours away and figuring out who would even do that to begin with seems ridiculous to me as well as expensive.

I asked the auction house what agency typically do they see people have when they collect these buses. They said progressive, I called progressive doesnt do it.

All I can think of doing now is either trying to go thru the progressive app hoping itll get over looked for a day then inevitably canceled.
Or having it towed off the lot to across the street and taking my chances of driving it the rest of the way.
I don't know what other options I have.
Tranist permit? I don't have a cdl. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Not that I condone this in anyway but since you were obviously considering driving without insurance anyway (which by the way I think is really not a smart thing to do) why not have it towed two miles and then drop it off the hook and carry on.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Not that I condone this in anyway but since you were obviously considering driving without insurance anyway (which by the way I think is really not a smart thing to do) why not have it towed two miles and then drop it off the hook and carry on.
I'm not trying to be a dick but you've answered your own question in the first paragraph, get insurance or get it towed. There is a reason that this is a requirement of the dealer, too many people running down the road without insurance and the vehicle is still titled and registrated to the previous owner so an accident and lawsuit will involve them. I don't agree with the three day thing but I guess they've been burned on that before as well. Get it home right and safe and you'll have a great start on your bus adventure.
Good luck
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote