Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #1

Purchasing requirements

Hello,

I'm not really sure where else to post this thread and it seems harder than I thought to find much information on it. I'm completely new to this process but have always wanted to convert a bus to a camper, as its cheaper and of course way cooler. One question I have before I even get started is regarding the actual purchase and takeaway of the bus. If I purchase a bus, in order to drive it home am I required to already have a CDL, repaint it for street legality and remove the stop sign/lights? I'm looking at a straight from service bus in Wisconsin and want to bring it back to Michigan, but don't know if I'm going to be driving this thing illegally by not owning a CDL before being able to convert it and it still having its lights/color. Any help is amazing!

EmoHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Hard no the CDL, no CDL is needed unless you are using th bus for commercial activity. Some of those rules On the color very by state, most dealers will cover up school bus wording and disable the lights. Those are required pretty much everywhere. How every you can use your lights on private property. Unless you like rusty buses with cancer buy your bus from down south or check over one local to you very well for rust
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Don't think it's cheaper to convert a bus than buy a used RV. If you do it right, though, you get a much better product. You could buy a bus on the cheap and do a quick and dirty conversion and use it and see if a bus conversion is something you would want to dedicate a chunk of your life to.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote