Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Pus purchase

Just bought a bus on ebay! What should I expect when i go to pick it up from the seller? Its in Mississippi and im bringing it to Texas

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Before you even leave the seller:
  1. Cold start the engine. If if it's warmed up, you might not see some problems
  2. Check all the tires.
  3. Check ALL the fluids, including the oil.
  4. Check ALL the lights, even in daylight. You can get ticketed for even one light burnt out.
  5. Take it for a short ride.

After you leave the seller, fill up the fuel tank.
Drive slowly for the first few miles and get used to driving this beast. It's going to be quite different from driving your family car, especially turning and stopping.
As you drive home, stay in the right lane. As you go through Louisiana, you may be required to go through the scales. And LA scales are open 24/7! Don't worry, though. You won't be overweight.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I went from texas to florida and then floirida to ohio I didnt go into a single scale.. my bus still said "School Bus' all over it.. so it kind of blended in.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Built-in camouflage! Who's gonna mess with a school bus? Hide it in plain sight.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Built-in camouflage! Who's gonna mess with a school bus? Hide it in plain sight.
the only "messing with" i had was I had parked in a Mickey D parking lot behind another school bus.. and when I came out some of the school kids were waiting by my bus door instead of their bus...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the only "messing with" i had was i had parked in a mickey d parking lot behind another school bus.. And when i came out some of the school kids were waiting by my bus door instead of their bus...
-christopher
lol! .
Old 08-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Hey guys! I just went to pick up my bus and was driving it home last night when it sudden stopped in Louisiana. The gauges started going all the way up and down and the bus felt a little jerky so i pulled over on the side of the highway and shut it off.

Before that earlier in the day i drove the bus from where the seller had it stored and no more than a mile away i pulled over to use my phone and smelled something that smelt like an electrical problem. Then i noticed smoke coming from under the hood so i called a guy who worked at the place where it was stored and he confirmed the gauge readings were normal and it shouldn't be smoking. So i decided to try and drive to the nearest gas station since he said i should be fine.

Drove there with no problem. Filled the tank with diesel and got on the highway headed for Texas. After about an hour of driving is when the bus started acting up. Before that the oil was at 50 and water was under 200 but every time i turn the key the oil/water light comes on fir about a second.

On top of that the "press brake" light came on and stays on. Might it be because i was trying to push and pull the air brake knob?

I could really use some help right now. Any would be greatly appreciate

I have a 1998 international amtran with a dt-466 allison
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
most of your lights on your dash should pop on for a little bit when you first start it so that the driver "you" knows that they still work, its if they stay on thats when there's a problem. as for air brakes push the knob in on most to release your brakes and then use pedal from then on, and pull the knob to apply brakes when you park.

press brake light, im not so sure about. i do not have air brakes on my bus.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Turned out to be the alternator. I was running on the battery the whole time. Once the battery died i could get no air to the air brake system. I got it jumped by the guy who towed it (tow cost me $300 for only a few miles, if that) and i watched the battery gauge drop down to 10 which is the lowest number and eventually the bus shut off
Old 08-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

easy fix........