Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Putting a deposit down?

Had anyone ever put a deposit on a bus pending inspection? Stock is pretty limited in Alaska, and we're going to look at one tonight. My husband and I don't necessarily know how to inspect the bus, so I'm thinking if it looks good, offering a refundable deposit pending our getting it inspected. He thinks it's a bad idea, though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mh_ccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Most of us like to buy from auctions and they're kind of non-negotiable on getting paid.

It's bad to give any money if you're not sure about going through with the deal. The seller should be willing to let you have it inspected.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Most of us like to buy from auctions and they're kind of non-negotiable on getting paid.

It's bad to give any money if you're not sure about going through with the deal. The seller should be willing to let you have it inspected.
I'm just worried that in the time it takes me to figure out how to get it inspected, someone else will buy it. I was hoping a deposit would hold it for us.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Bus Geek

You could look at it that way. How long has this bus been for sale? Is there actual competition or is the seller making a hard sale?

I could be wrong, but I think the seller is anxious to sell the bus. After checking it out thourally I'd make an offer at about 75% of the asking price if I really liked it. That's just business.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You could look at it that way. How long has this bus been for sale? Is there actual competition or is the seller making a hard sale?

I could be wrong, but I think the seller is anxious to sell the bus. After checking it out thourally I'd make an offer at about 75% of the asking price if I really liked it. That's just business.
It's been for sale for a little while, and he's recently dropped the price by about 30%. I think he just wants it gone. But with limited stock available, I'm antsy, you know? Like maybe other people are ready to pounce now.
I'll try to slow my roll.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_ccl View Post
It's been for sale for a little while, and he's recently dropped the price by about 30%. I think he just wants it gone. But with limited stock available, I'm antsy, you know? Like maybe other people are ready to pounce now.
I'll try to slow my roll.

How many people are IN Alaska?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That depends. Summer or winter?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How many people are IN Alaska?
Well, there's at least me, this guy and Sarah Palin.
My bus need is a little urgent because the plan is to use it to move out of Alaska (this dropping the population down to 2), and our goal is to be on the road by September. Factor in that there just aren't many busses up here and that I can't buy one somewhere else and drive it home, and you end up wondering about putting down a deposit.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Bus Geek

There's quite a few brush buses up there from back in the hippy days. It's amazing where you can find the old buses, but they're way beyond hope.

Is this a bus that we've diasected previously?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_ccl View Post
Well, there's at least me, this guy and Sarah Palin.
My bus need is a little urgent because the plan is to use it to move out of Alaska (this dropping the population down to 2), and our goal is to be on the road by September. Factor in that there just aren't many busses up here and that I can't buy one somewhere else and drive it home, and you end up wondering about putting down a deposit.

Maybe you could consider waiting to get a bus down in the lower 48, where they're cheap and abundant.
What part of the country are you moving to?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
There's quite a few brush buses up there from back in the hippy days. It's amazing where you can find the old buses, but they're way beyond hope.

Is this a bus that we've diasected previously?
Yes, it's the black bus. 2002 Thomas, 180k miles, currently $4300.

And we need to use the bus to move out, so we can't wait until we're back in America. Destination currently unknown, pending job offers for my spouse. I'm hoping for Colorado, but most jobs are in DC.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

That's not a terrible price, especially for Alaska, but it's always good if you can get a better discount.

I've had a bus loaded up like a big suitcase before. It works well. Hard to find things though.

Other than toating all your possessions with you, it sounds like a fun trip. Driving that route is still one of my goals.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Just putting on my seller hat instead of a buyer hat: what's the point of a refundable deposit? When a buyer "maybe" wants something and wants to make a deposit so I'll hold it for them -- in other words, I'm supposed turn away other buyers who may have all the cash in hand -- then what happens if this buyer changes their mind? I'm supposed to refund the deposit, lose the initial buyer, and I also turned away other good buyers too while it played out? A non-refundable deposit makes sense because at least then I get something in return for my risk of turning away prospective buyers for the benefit of another buyer who may back out.That's just my two cents on refundable vs not.

Good luck on your inspections. As mentioned by others, if you can get information, pictures, etc on the bus members here may help analyze it.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Have you tried looking up diesel shops in the area? Getting it looked at is pretty straightforward. This could help you avoid having to do the deposit in the first place.