Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ready to register our bus, but we can’t...

Hey y’all!

So, we bought our bus, converted it, insured it... and now we need to register the bus.

When we bought the bus, the guy we bought it from gave us the title, and no bill of sale. I asked him if that was it, and he said, “yes, y’all are good to go.” We took the title in good faith, he just made sure it was the right title for our bus, and off we went. (In my home state the title is treated like a bill of sale. So, this didn’t raise any red flags.)

Our local county is really particular about what they ask for. (Found out not all counties are like this.) They want a bill of sale. Understandable.

Problem is, I don’t have one, and the guy who sold it to us, bought it at a school auction 2 months before we bought it, and he title jumped (I had no idea what this was). Bus was never in his name.

We filled out the title in our name already, with the date when we bought it.

It was suggested to me I write the BOS myself, by a few people. My husband doesn’t want to.

It was also suggested to me that we could apply for a title bond, but that it is very pricey.

I don’t see what other options we have... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lovestotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Vermont route?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thought about this... we still need a bill of sale, don’t we?
Old 10-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

The title you get, or transferable rego you get that acts as a title

should be all that's required by your state DMV when registered locally.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. I know that.

I meant, if I send paperwork to VT, don’t I still need a BOS to send over to them?
Lovestotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Bus Geek

yes, but a handwritten one is fine, just put down the factual data points, no fraudulent intent means no fraud

if your husband continues to be silly about it, try without it, include a note that your state accepts the title transfer as the BoS

vin verification from local PD not necessary but wouldn't hurt
Old 10-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Well, my husband decided to go to county office. He told them the truth... we got our plates!

Thank you for your help, though!
Old 10-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
yes, but a handwritten one is fine, just put down the factual data points, no fraudulent intent means no fraud

if your husband continues to be silly about it, try without it, include a note that your state accepts the title transfer as the BoS

vin verification from local PD not necessary but wouldn't hurt
Title never indicates selling price, thus a BOS is needed to determine ad valorem taxes.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Normally, a signed (in some states, notarized as well) title is all that's required. But this presumes that the title is in the name of the seller, who then signs (maybe notarizes, too) the transfer of title line. But as you learned, unfortunately, this doesn't usually work if the title isn't in the seller's name. If that seller is a dealer, they can often sign the next line which is found on some states' titles.

If the auction seller listed your buyer/seller guy on the title, then you could get him to complete and send you a limited power of attorney form which allows you to act as if he were present for this vehicle only (the form will have the VIN on it, so he doesn't have to worry that the POA will work for any other purpose). In Arizona, that form is available for download from the state MVD site. I'll bet other states have a similar form.

Let me clarify your case, if I can, because I'm a bit unclear on something. The auction seller signed the title indicating they sold it...and the buyer's name/info fields were left blank? If so, you put your info in those fields...right? In that case, it would appear to MVD and anyone else that you bought the bus directly from the auction seller and the middleman shouldn't need to be involved in this at all. At least in AZ (since I can't speak to other states) that's all our MVD would need. The POA would only be needed if the middleman guy put his name on there, then sold it to you.

EDIT: Haha! While I was typing out that long reply, it seems you got this resolved. Cool...and good for you.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Normally, a signed (in some states, notarized as well) title is all that's required. But this presumes that the title is in the name of the seller, who then signs (maybe notarizes, too) the transfer of title line. But as you learned, unfortunately, this doesn't usually work if the title isn't in the seller's name. If that seller is a dealer, they can often sign the next line which is found on some states' titles.

If the auction seller listed your buyer/seller guy on the title, then you could get him to complete and send you a limited power of attorney form which allows you to act as if he were present for this vehicle only (the form will have the VIN on it, so he doesn't have to worry that the POA will work for any other purpose). In Arizona, that form is available for download from the state MVD site. I'll bet other states have a similar form.

Let me clarify your case, if I can, because I'm a bit unclear on something. The auction seller signed the title indicating they sold it...and the buyer's name/info fields were left blank? If so, you put your info in those fields...right? In that case, it would appear to MVD and anyone else that you bought the bus directly from the auction seller and the middleman shouldn't need to be involved in this at all. At least in AZ (since I can't speak to other states) that's all our MVD would need. The POA would only be needed if the middleman guy put his name on there, then sold it to you.

EDIT: Haha! While I was typing out that long reply, it seems you got this resolved. Cool...and good for you.
If you only knew how much crap I took on this forum for saving the buyer some time by doing just this . #1, it's illegal.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you only knew how much crap I took on this forum for saving the buyer some time by doing just this . #1, it's illegal.

it depends on the state.. some state titles have lines for transfer to a new buyer without actually fully transferring to yourself.. so essentially the schol had the printed titile.. signs it over to bob.. another line under bobs name where bob can SIGN it.. and then write in a new name.. that new person can legally obtain title..

some states want the tax $$ for every single transaction.. title jumping would be where school signs title but doesnt fill in any name.. bob buying it for resale simply sells it to someone else. who then writes in their own name. . THATS ILLEGAL as the state was due tax money for that middle transaction.. Bob skipped on the taxes..

some states require a notary for every line on the title that is signed.. and they will verify a notary. . whole natory is pretty easy to get.. a good notary wont notarizes unless both parties are present.. ohio is supposed to be like that but in reality they dont often check.. in the case of a state where notary is required.. School and bob would need to be present and bobs name would be written in the title.. if the state has multi lines for transfer then bob and new seller would need to be present at notary...

states without multi line on title would not accept title from anyone but Bob because his name was there and notarized.. thus preventing "title-jumping"... thats how ive always sold a vehicle was buyer and I was present for notary so theres no mistakes and no "you didnt give me a title" BS...

dealers are a bit different as they work off of power-of-attorney so they can have a title made for you.. my DEV bus came from a dealer and the title was already in my name.. i just had to have it re-printed as an ohio title..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Title never indicates selling price, thus a BOS is needed to determine ad valorem taxes.
That depends on which state the title is from...Ohio list the price you "paid" right on the front of the title.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
The variety of answers...you need a title...you need a BOS...you don't need a BOS...it's illegal...it's just fine...all just go to show that, as with so many other laws and factors impacting our buses and mobile homes, it varies from state to state. It's part of why I always refer only to Arizona law, which I know, and I try to avoid blanket statements about what's legal or not in other states...or nationwide.

I guess there is one blanket statement I could make: It depends.

Have a great weekend, all!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
The variety of answers...you need a title...you need a BOS...you don't need a BOS...it's illegal...it's just fine...all just go to show that, as with so many other laws and factors impacting our buses and mobile homes, it varies from state to state. It's part of why I always refer only to Arizona law, which I know, and I try to avoid blanket statements about what's legal or not in other states...or nationwide.

I guess there is one blanket statement I could make: It depends.

Have a great weekend, all!

just like licensing.. iof you read up.. some states you actually do need a CDL.. other states you need a Non Commercial class A, or a class B or some kind of endorsement. . and other states you just hop in and drive. . definitely pays to read YOUR STATE's. rules and regs.. and call a REAL DMV.. in ohio we have what are called "deputy registrar".. they are where you go for tags and licenses. 95% of them are just agents.. 3rd party private companies. where the employees just punch a time card and wish for Beer-thirty... so when ypu call to ask questions be sure you are calling the right place..

Ohio lists what you pay for a vehicle except its on the honor system.. alas how many $100 cadillacs are sold daily in ohio from one person to another? LOTS.. well on paper anyway...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags, title registration