Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Register title in PA and insuring it to move to NC...help!

Hello all! I'm new to the skoolie community but have been obsessed with the idea of converting my own bus for years. I would really appreciate any advice. The legal aspect of getting insurance and properly titling the bus has me a bit overwhelmed.

The bus I'm hoping to buy is an '85 Chevy 5 speed gas engine. It already has the seats removed except the very first row behind the driver. I believe all the other school bus lights and stop sign have already been removed as well.

I found a great deal on the bus in PA where I am a resident, but I am planning to move to NC where I can park it and work on it while I live with family there.

I've read that to insure the bus as an RV it has to already be converted and have proper electric, plumbing, appliances, etc. Is there a way to get around this just to insure it long enough for me to drive it from PA to NC? Once I get it to NC I don't plan to drive it for some time except around the block on occasion to keep it running in good order. How do I present my case to insurance agents so they won't immediately deny me coverage?

How would I register/title this vehicle since it's not converted yet (it's basically just en empty bus shell? Should it be titled as just a commercial vehicle for private use and say it's just to move my furniture and stuff across states, since that's all it's good for at the moment?

Thanks in advance!

EMnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Seriously reconsider buying a bus from that area, it will have massive rust issues to deal with.
For registration, you can skirt the whole issue by registering it in Vt. Fill out the form saying it's a MH (motorhome)and mail in the sales tax and I think $39, and you will have a registration that says it's a MH, then you might be able to get insurance without an inspection.
Another option if you don't plan on driving it while building is to buy a "Commercial for Private Use" policy on a monthly plan. They normally get a small fee or just first months payment to start, once you get it to NC, cancel the insurance. I insured one for 3 days.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

In practice just carry the BoS and proof of insurance and get it where you want to go driving sensibly at an off peak time, very little risk even if you get pulled over.

Then deal with NCs bureaucracy if / when you feel the need to get it registered.

If that's too much hassle use the VT route, at least until it's up to code.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMnM View Post
I found a great deal on the bus in PA where I am a resident
Can you post a link to the bus with pictures, or send it as a personal message if you don't want anybody to "poach" it (which never happens)? Buses from PA (and the northeast in general) are usually pretty rusty and you can often tell this from pictures (in ways that aren't obvious unless you've dealt with rusty buses).
Old 01-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm not a fan of PA for vehicles.
The rust struggle is real.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote