Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: International 7.3L
Registering in British Columbia

Hello everyone!

First post on here. I like your forums, lots of great information!

However, though I've found people in BC outfitting their skoolies and talking about going to register through ICBC, I've not seen anyone post who actually got through and what that involved. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now as the guy who was letting me park my bus on his land was evicted recently, so I'm running on (very expensive) temp tags, and I'd like to see if I can get RV plates. The conversion is in progress, so not complete, but I've got a bed, a sink, a stove, a furnace, and 110 VAC, so that's above the number of required items. I've done the wiring and plumbing myself but I've got a propane guy to do the gas so there's a cert there.

Still, a little nervous (I always am about inspections).

Anyone go through this? How closely do they look? Know a good place in the Lower Mainland to take the ol' girl?

Many thanks!

Ryder
Canadian Framelines

Check us out!
CanadianFramelines.com
facebook.com/canadianframelines
youtube.com/canadianframelines
CanadianFramelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Registering in British Columbia

you should just be able to register it in Wa, and bus already meets requirements of Rv. Oregon, too. and there is tons of blm parks, in pac northwest.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

when i brought mine home i got the week long temp tag for $75 as private bus not for passenger service.

if its anything like SGI in SK only declare seating for about 5 people. SGI had a conipsh*** when i said 16 seats in mine...
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I've also considered trying to register in Alberta as I understand their process is less strict as well, and then I wouldn't have to deal with the whole cross-border issue (don't know how troublesome that is but I'm not exactly itching to find out).

The other question I mean to ask above but forgot last night was: anyone ever do the "U-Bilt" vehicle registration through ICBC? That one is reeeeally hard to find info on.

Check us out!
CanadianFramelines.com
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #5

The BC regs final update:

Finally had to bite the bullet and go for the commercial inspection. It was good, they found a couple issues I hadn't been aware of, but on the whole I would have rather not. Still, I now have a year decal in which to convert to an RV, get that past inspection, and then never have to do annuals again.

Here's the scoop: if your GVW is over 5,500 kg in British Columbia, you must either register as an RV or as a commercial vehicle. There are no other choices. And if you do go for the commercial reg, make certain you tell them the vehicle is unladen and is for pleasure only.

But as a bonus, vehicles of that class don't have to do AirCare!

Check us out!
CanadianFramelines.com
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

hey nice find!! i know in sask i can haul around upto 15 people anywhere anyhow i want. the problems start if anyone gives me money/compensation for doing so. then its "illegal"... but if i rent the bus out its 100% legal... yay stupid laws lol.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

So.... what if you rent out the bus to illegals?.....
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
i know in sask i can haul around upto 15 people anywhere anyhow i want. the problems start if anyone gives me money/compensation for doing so.
Yeah my understanding of BC is that you shouldn't have more than ten, and not for pay either. Pretty similar. Rentals, eh? I wonder if that works here too? Oh well, I'm not exactly itching to test my luck with ICBC anytime soon...

Check us out!
CanadianFramelines.com
Old 04-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: 32' Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner, with FABCO 4x4 conversion and 6"lift
Engine: 6.7 Cummins 300hp
Rated Cap: 15 plus storage area
hello all!
I have a quick question. When all of you registered your bus conversion in BC, did any of you have your propane system (fridge, cooktop, furnace, etc) inspected by a licensed "rv gas inspector" and get the official BC safety authority sticker for the window? I have noticed a lot of highly illegal propane appliance installations on Youtube and am wondering how people in BC got around that.
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote