Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
FWIW here in AZ I changed THE BODY TYPE to MH and then got a new title to reflect the body type.
I did not apply for a title change, just a new title.

HTH

Old 05-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm in FL, but have heard the "once a bus always a bus in GA" before.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I had the Tag Office retitle my bus as a Motorhome with no problem here in Georgia.
I would like to find cheaper insurance though, National General is the only insurance that I can find.
WLDNWALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I got my insurance from Progressive for ~$350/year.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

Still having similar issues in catoosa county
werewolfxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
I'm a newbie in Georgia, and I can confirm that in Cobb County, I am being given the same story right now in 2016. "We can't handle a retitle - you have to contact the State Revenue department motor vehicle division." When I called the number they provided, I was informed, "You cannot retitle a bus as an RV. Once a bus, always a bus. Contact your county tax office and register the vehicle as a bus." I KNOW this is nonsense, since there are plenty of buses titled as RVs in Georgia, but I don't know how to tell the "authorities" that they are wrong. Those of you who have registered as an RV in other counties, is your bus also titled as an RV? If so, was the county able to handle the retitle? At this point, I feel like I can't legally purchase a bus until I change my residence to a more bus-friendly state.
Misty, read my thread on non-resident Vermont registration. It may save you some headache and you'll have plates in 3 weeks ... forget your resident state.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
What it's *TITLED* as, and what it's *REGISTERED* as, may be 2 different things. Since I'm still worrying about my title, I haven't messed with the registration yet.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
What it's *TITLED* as, and what it's *REGISTERED* as, may be 2 different things. Since I'm still worrying about my title, I haven't messed with the registration yet.
There is no difference in the eyes of the state between a title and transferrable registration. Some states, like Vermont, simply will not grant titles on vehicles over 15 yrs. In fact, you could take your transferrable title from Vermont to my home state of NY and they will issue you a title. Both are considered proof of ownership. Read the thread.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so in vermont if I say moved to vermont with my 20 year old skoolie they would just hand me a registration with an ohio title? or they just dont want old vehicles in their state
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so in vermont if I say moved to vermont with my 20 year old skoolie they would just hand me a registration with an ohio title? or they just dont want old vehicles in their state
Yes. It is a transferable registration though. This is different from a regular registration. A transferable registration serves as proof of ownership just like a title does. You sign it over when you sell your vehicle. You do not need to move to vermont. Read my thread on it -- there is detailed info on how to complete the application as a nonresident through the mail.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #31
Bus Geek

interesting... Ohio fortunately is easy to do... take an out of state title.. they look at the vehicle to match the VIN, then they issue an ohio title.. and since it was already registered for road use in another state (even a transit or temporary tag).. they simply issue whatever type of registration you want... if you register as a motorhome they simply have you sign a paper that says its meets the reqs.. (a bed, an icebox or frig, and micro or stove).. no plumbing or toilets required.. they dont even look for that.. if its under 15 seats (yes seats not design).. and under 26k you can reg it like a passenger car.. no different than someone who has a club-wagon... and then the stove / bed / frig reqs dont even apply... my old bluebird years ago was a passenger car... a TON of short under 26k skoolies end up being Ohio-State football tailgating busses this way.. if it is not re-titled as a motorhome and is registered as a passenger car Most anyone will insure it too... the DEV bus is over 26k so i had to reg and title it as an RV and carry commercial insurance for personal use on it... and had to state it was not being converted to a camper... which is correct.. its a 'technology art studio' as far as they are concerned.. and that is indeed how I use it..

-Christopher
Old 11-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
So, I recently went to our tag office (Chatham County, GA) and they told me basically what has been reported here. If the VIN comes up with a bus designation, they will not change that designation. They also seemed pretty stuck on the idea that the vehicle still looks like a bus on the outside. I was told I needed to get a "UD bus tag" and that it will cost about $1000 per year. Is there anyone in Georgia who has encountered this and managed to find a way around it? Are there any of you in GA who just got the bus tag and rolled with it? How does that affect your insurance and licensing? It was a pretty frustrating day for me, though I already knew it would be tough in this state. :/
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
interesting... Ohio fortunately is easy to do... take an out of state title.. they look at the vehicle to match the VIN, then they issue an ohio title.. and since it was already registered for road use in another state (even a transit or temporary tag).. they simply issue whatever type of registration you want... if you register as a motorhome they simply have you sign a paper that says its meets the reqs.. (a bed, an icebox or frig, and micro or stove).. no plumbing or toilets required.. they dont even look for that.. if its under 15 seats (yes seats not design).. and under 26k you can reg it like a passenger car.. no different than someone who has a club-wagon... and then the stove / bed / frig reqs dont even apply... my old bluebird years ago was a passenger car... a TON of short under 26k skoolies end up being Ohio-State football tailgating busses this way.. if it is not re-titled as a motorhome and is registered as a passenger car Most anyone will insure it too... the DEV bus is over 26k so i had to reg and title it as an RV and carry commercial insurance for personal use on it... and had to state it was not being converted to a camper... which is correct.. its a 'technology art studio' as far as they are concerned.. and that is indeed how I use it..

-Christopher

Oklahoma was even easier than that...
Brought bus to tag agent, they verified vin with Arkansas bus title, titled it as motorhome without any other information or requirements. Showed them digital copy of my progressive insurance on iPhone, she copied policy number. Gave me tag on the spot.

Got new title in mail a few days later.

At the time of verification, I only had my cots pulled... 100% empty bus
Old 11-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnye79 View Post
So, I recently went to our tag office (Chatham County, GA) and they told me basically what has been reported here. If the VIN comes up with a bus designation, they will not change that designation. They also seemed pretty stuck on the idea that the vehicle still looks like a bus on the outside. I was told I needed to get a "UD bus tag" and that it will cost about $1000 per year. Is there anyone in Georgia who has encountered this and managed to find a way around it? Are there any of you in GA who just got the bus tag and rolled with it? How does that affect your insurance and licensing? It was a pretty frustrating day for me, though I already knew it would be tough in this state. :/
Check out the thread on registering in Vermont.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Link: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/re...n-ga-9359.html

Check out this thread too.
Seems it was not too difficult.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
This is very intriguing. I wonder if there's anyone who has successfully executed this process in Georgia. They kept pointing to the bus designation being assigned to my VIN. When the vehicle gets registered in VT, will the VIN designation suddenly start popping up as RV?
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:43 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
My understanding is once you get the RV designation from VT (whether you get a title or not is based on the age of the bus; anything over 15 yrs old gets what they call a transferrable registration) then it's an RV wherever you take it. I'm not sure what GA would do; the title history should show the change but you never know.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Never have done it myself but know of guys that have...Vermont is a great place to register a motorcycle with a lost title and the title you get from them can be changed to the state you live in.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
Bus Geek

its the title... im not sure how it works in vermont going to another state where theres no title issued... but if you buy the bus in one state and have it titled as an RV or motorhome, that will carry over to the next state... if your state is a PITA and you have a short bus you may very well be able to get away with leaving the title as a bus and not be required to have a CDL..

in Ohio my new bus is below 26k and under 16 passengers so I just left it as a Bus... the title still says bus.. when I registered it , they asked the weight and the seats and its just registered with regular ole plates like my pickup.. the only difference being because the title says Bus, it expires on a set date as opposed to my birthday.. and because its private owner, it doesnt require DOT numbers, CDL, etc because of its weight and size and not being used for hire.. in effect its a limousine... or a club wagon.. like a hotel van but non commercial...

if you buy it in a state that its easy to get it transferred on the title to an RV and you know your home state its hard, then retitle it in the purchased-from state before you bring it home.. this way you dont have issues in your home state as they will honor the title.. the title is originally created by the manufacturer.. the new state doesnt know you converted it from one type to the other in a previous state.. their computers arent that sophisticated... so they will honor it as an RV..

insurance-wise if you can get away with leaving it as a bus you'll have more options to insure it.. we have heard more than one case on these forums of progressive-commercial insuring someone until they converted their title to RV then they got dropped.. whereas if it is kept as a bus (small under CDL bus), then progressive will continue to insure.. some states.. (ohio included) seems not to be an issue.. one of my busses is insured through them for 6 months now titled as an RV with no problems..
-Christopher