Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Renewal registration for 2016

I received my renewal paperwork in the mail today and where I use to be able to just go on line & pay it (which I still can for my pickup) I was informed that I would have to go to the tag office to find out what the new fee was going to be due to the new TRANSPORTATION FUNDING ACT OF 2015 (HB170).

It appears from what I am reading that my tags, which were $20 last year are now going up to over $250 a year. The OVER part will be determined by the weight class it will fall in.

Can anyone weigh in on this. I have till February to take care of this before I have to pay a late fee.

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Here in Utah, where my bus is still titled as a bus, I pay registration fees based on its "registered weight." I can pick any weight I want in increments of 2000 pounds and the fee scales accordingly. The only catch is that one had better have registered the truck at a weight greater than or equal to its actual laden weight (and also less than or equal to GVW) or risk paying an over-weight fine at a port of entry, roadside commercial vehicle inspection, etc. I'm not sure whether your HB170 might work similarly..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Here in TN I am registered as a private vehicle and RV, so I can use regular non weighted car tags...wish I knew that before (first 3 years I had weighted tags because I didnt know any better)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

So Kenny McDonald over at Skoolie Converters/FB just posted that his weigh in on his TC2000 33' skoolie came in at 19040 pounds. His is fully converted.

That means ours should be close. I still haven't gotten out to look at the factory weight on ours to see how that compares, but if it's close I'll just use that for my tags this year as we still have a few things that need to be secured before we can safely take it on the road.

So....$250 (Alternate Fuel Vehicle Registration fee $200 & $50 Highway impact fee for the 15k-26k pounds). Still Sucks compared to the $20 we've been paying.

Seriously, We bought a skoolie thinking that we would be saving all the money we're now paying for taxes on the house ($600+) only to now find that the savings isn't going to be quite as much as we had planned.

Oh well what the hell!!!!!! It's only money
Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
So....$250 (Alternate Fuel Vehicle Registration fee $200 & $50 Highway impact fee for the 15k-26k pounds). Still Sucks compared to the $20 we've been paying.

Seriously, We bought a skoolie thinking that we would be saving all the money we're now paying for taxes on the house ($600+) only to now find that the savings isn't going to be quite as much as we had planned.

Oh well what the hell!!!!!! It's only money
Wow, sounds nice to me. My annual registration is $1200. After the RV title it will only be $102. And taxes on my house are just shy of $4k.
$600 wouldn't even cover a two stall garage.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Feeling better here. Kenny went & got his tags for the year & it cost him $70 ($20 for standard tag fee & $50 for 2016 Highway Impact Fee). He said not to even bring up the Alternate Fuel Vehicle Tax Fee) as we are not set up for bio-fuel or have any plans to in the future.

Yipee 4 Me.......:

Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

OK......I went to the DMV today to get a handicap placard for Hubby & while there I asked about this new law. She looked up my bus in the system & came back with a weight of 10,001 pounds and that my tag fee was going to be $20. The weight on the tag in the bus showed 12K & 17K front & back from the factory. I wasn't going to argue.

I paid the $20 & got my tags for the year.

Good luck with the rest of you that have to deal with this new law.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
HB170 – Proposed Transportation Bill in the House | Shelly Berryhill looks like the gov is looking out for ya breeze
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote