Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Renters Insurance?

I would like to have a renters insurance type for all of the stuff in the bus. Batteries, bikes, camera's etc.

Has anyone been able to insure the contents of their bus?

ttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Very straightforward so long as you legally have a home other than your bus.

Not related to the bus, just possessions that are protected wherever they happen to be.

Document with photos, keep the receipts.

Avoid new fangled fintech like Lemonade.

Best to use an old-school agent, be 100% honest with them

except no need to state you are fulltimers if that is the case.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
I have liability only from natl general. I WANT full coverage as a lot of money went into my bus that homeowners wont cover (kitchen, batteries generator) Had Allstate full coverage last year but they seem to have stopped covering buses. Kelly Newscome is aware of this Allstate change.

I dont think renters insurance will cover bus stuff (the expensive stuff) but probably your camera bike kayak clothes.

I wouldnt do a skoolie again too much risk with no coverage= stress on my vacations!!

PS older stable homeowner no violations/tickets claims ever
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
I have an e450 and could title it as a van (regular insurance) or motorhome (motorhome insurance).
When I talked to Geico today they said I could insure as a van and add on renter's insurance that would also cover the contents of my vehicle.

This seems like it could be cheaper than full coverage motorhome insurance.
I haven't completed the comparison process. But the quotes I have so far are about 1k/year for regular insurance plus renter's and 2k/year for full coverage on a motorhome (I got that quote about a year ago via Kelly Newsome).

Sounds like I should check what exactly in my vehicle would be covered by renter's insurance.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
Skoolie

And check with Kelley again! I have multiple conversations with her this summer to no avail for full coverage.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
And check with Kelley again! I have multiple conversations with her this summer to no avail for full coverage.
Will do! Guess last year broke the system!
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Full coverage on anything self built is pretty rare.

Some states it can be done with the right agent

full documentation of the process, hundreds of pics all receipts

negotiated valuation and depreciation rate...

very rare though

do not expect your labour to be counted
Old 08-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My full coverage insurance covers contents then again I’m not converted but if someone broke in and stole my computers etc they are covered under comp. I was told the claim would go like cake if I have a dashcam running that shows the break In occurring ..

Isn’t there full coverage RV insurance? Anything attached like your counters frig stove etc I’d think would be covered if your bus is damaged. Contents like cameras computers etc if they are for a business can often be added to your business policy.. ie if I’m on a job site and my tools get stolen my business policy covers me.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Skoolie

I am into this for 20k with no labor.

I just want 20k coverage in case I run into something, or god forbid a fire. my personnel stuff is covered thru home owners insurance.

Seems a shame no one will cover me!

My class c 10 years ago was full coverage $42 PER YEAR on my auto policy. If I did this again I would go class c. NOT AS COOL but way cheaper and stress free. As an older guy I like my life to be more calm then when I was younger!!
Old 08-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Starting to see bus accidents and fires a lot more in the news and on social media groups. Insuring these things could be increasingly tricky/limited in the future going forward.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
Bus Geek

A buildout done by a **professional company** is what makes it easy to get comprehensive.

That would be just as true for a skoolie or moving van or horse truck or racecar trailer as for a cutaway chassis, the base vehicle is not the issue, it's the DIY aspect.

The key is the company retains its own liability insurance for build quality, employs engineers with their own professional Errors & Omissions insurance for the specifications and design work.

AFATC some Joe off the street DIYs the job, it's miraculous in our torts-crazy country, that they're allowed on the roads at all!

Plan ahead and get all your ducks in a row in the planning stages, makes it just-maybe possible, but getting harder every year depending on your location.

Personally if I wanted full coverage I would make sure I was in a good jurisdiction and had a supportive agent before I ever started, even if it meant moving a thousand miles.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bluebird 24'
Engine: 6.2 GMC Diesel
Rated Cap: 10,000
Renters Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttee View Post
I would like to have a renters insurance type for all of the stuff in the bus. Batteries, bikes, camera's etc.

My renters insurance for my apartment covers the contents of my vehicles..(not sure about “bus components” like solar/batteries, etc.)

Has anyone been able to insure the contents of their bus?
My renters insurance for my apartment covers the contents of my vehicles..(not sure about “bus components” like solar/batteries, etc.)
mymincave is offline   Reply With Quote