Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 12:57 AM   #1
Almost There

Sc or nc

Just moved I can use my NC address or my moms Sc address which would be easier to register will I have to change my title? Anything helps thanks

Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
I just went to the scdmv with a title transfer request. Confused the hell out of three people but they accepted it with no pictures or anything. I requested that they mail the title instead of print it out right there. Big mistake. It’s been 8 weeks and I JUST NOW have been informed they’ve finally released it to be mailed to me as an rv instead of bus. So all in all it was very easy with no proof of conversion but took some time for the title to be changed over. YMMV
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Almost There

Is it better to have changed into an rv title?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Skoolie

Unless you have a cdl, definitely. You can’t legally drive a school bus unless it’s changed over. Plus insurability and taxation advantages.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty1 View Post
Unless you have a cdl, definitely. You can’t legally drive a school bus unless it’s changed over. Plus insurability and taxation advantages.
You can't legally drive a school bus "for profit or commercial use" without a CDL. You don't need to change anything over to drive it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lherrlinger View Post
Is it better to have changed into an rv title?
The reason you want the title change to RV is because most insurance companies will not insure it as a bus, but will as an RV after at least 4 of the 6 criteria are met.Standard procedure is to obtain a "commercial for private use" policy while converting and then once finished, convert the title and insure as RV or MH.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Skoolie

Why then, do you need a cdl to drive a church bus? Is that technically commercial? I’ve always assumed that a cdl was needed on that basis but could be wrong, it’s happened before. A lot.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Why then, do you need a cdl to drive a church bus? Is that technically commercial? I’ve always assumed that a cdl was needed on that basis but could be wrong, it’s happened before. A lot.
Schools and Churches are considered commercial if it can carry 16 passengers.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
It varies by state. Here in WA, if it will seat 16 or more people, you must have a CDL regardless of what you are using it for.

That is the law here.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I live in NC, but have thought of using my SC address to register my city transit bus because NC still has "safety and emissions inspections. SC doesn't have "smog & emissions" inspections.

NC does meet the Federal clean air standards and was considering discontinuing these taxes, but the "State Inspection" stations are private businesses and hired lobbyist to continue the theft from vehicle owners.
vtxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I live in NC and had no problems with registration as a bus for personal use or getting insurance as the same.
Your regular NC license says you are good up to 26,001 GVW
If you need help with insurance let me know my nationwide agent has helped cover three other skoolies in NC with no problem.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I have been having to do a full DOT inspection but that is because none of my local regular vehicle inspection shops will touch it and the big truck shops only do full DOT.
It is 50$ instead of 15$ but is worth it to me to have someone that knows air brakes and the likes inspect it yearly.
My local truck shop just says I ain't gonna fail you but I would like to see this taken care of next inspection and they let me crawl around with them and point out things and as long as I have taken care of it they are happy just saying look into this or replace that and let me go.
Good luck and have fun
Safety first.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your reply Jolly Roger. I'm all in favor in driving a vehicle that is safe.

I haven't done anything with my transit bus since I bought it. My insurance agent came up with some insurance that was quite inexpensive. I needed to sort a few things out on my bus before I put it on the road. I have 6 vehicles now that I pay for taxes, tags, insurance, etc on and i'm only able to drive one at a time.

NC, continuing to require these inspections offends me...6 times a year. It's about job security for the inspection stations. NC won't issue me a tag without it being inspected. I don't want to drive it on the road without a tag.

I acquired a used pickup that had been recently inspected. I went to get a tag. I had to get it inspected again before they would sell me a tag. Thieves...
vtxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
Almost There

Jolly r

Hey Jolly Roger any price range on insurance or does anyone have a ballpark on insurance prices on a bus converted to an rv or motor home
Old 10-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #15

so let me get this straight. If the bus is classified as a rv you don't have to have a cdl?
Barryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not unless you use it "commercially".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryj View Post
so let me get this straight. If the bus is classified as a rv you don't have to have a cdl?
That's how it works here in WA but it does vary by state.

Some states require enhanced licensing requirements. I would check with your states licensing authority.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Sorry. I missed the other comments from June?
I am insured as a bus for personal use and only have to have a normal state vehicle inspection.
But none of the shops/garages around here that do normal inspections will touch my bus? They say they don't have the equipment to lift it and it has to be lifted for inspection?
So I go to a place that works on and inspects medium/heavy trucks for a living and watch them do a full DOT inspection without lifting it.
Only required to do the 15$ vehicle inspection but am happy paying the 50$ for the inspection from someone that knows exactly what there looking for/looking at.
I know a good bit about my buses working's but I don't know it all?
So a real inspection from a shop that knows what there looking at is worth the extra money to me everytime I take it down the road for piece of mind.
And if I am local then they are my chance at getting road side service and they know exactly what I have as far engine,tranny,tire's just because of inspection reports.
Hope this helps
Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt 466e
It doesn't even have to be titled as an RV to be driven without a CDL in NC. Its just weight and number of passengers it can carry.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
It’s important to convert it to an RV because emissions on Diesel vehicles over 14000 (or something close) need to meet current federal emissions guidelines. Motor homes are exempt.

I’m not sure if that’s a CARB requirement/exemption or a Fed requirement/exemption.

But it provides one explanation as to why so many trucks and busses get sold/new engines at 10 years intervals.

Tags
inspection, insurance coverage, registering, registrastion, titled as motorhome