Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 Big Block with A/T
Rated Cap: 65
Skoolie in NJ - Insurance Woes!

Hello all - this is my first post, not a lot of folks here from NJ it seems... I've been reading all the posts from others about insuring their skoolies. I thought I would share what worked for me. My first call was to USAA, because they are the best (if you're eligible), and everything else we have is with them. The next call was to GMAC, then progressive, then state farm, then specialty RV/MH insurance companies, then local insurance brokers and agents, then I began to wonder if this was for me afterall... NOBODY INSURES NJ!! All I needed was some kind of insurance card, so that I could mail in my paperwork to KS (my legal state of residence) to change the title/registration over from Ohio (where I purchased the bus). The inspection required for title paperwork says that title needs to be changed from bus to RV/MH, etc. After that, it will be easier to insure - just meet the requirements for the insurance company. I was frustrated to say the least...

Finally, I called USAA again, told them I desperately needed insurance to change the paperwork, they transferred me to Progressive, which underwrites RV insurance for USAA. Progressive said that they don't insure for NJ, and that I needed to call USAA back and tell them that I need COMMERCIAL insurance underwriters. I was skeptical, and scared of the premium that would entail, but I called them back, and they transferred me again to Progressive (ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!), but this time it was Progressive Drive. I was clear when I told the lady at Progressive that this was for personal use, no seats, no paid passengers, etc. She called to make sure they could write it for NJ before she ran the quote - they could not. So I said, "how about Pennsylvania?" She laughed, then I told her I was serious, and told her, "if that's what it takes to insure my bus - I have friends that live there, it's only 30 min from me over the bridge, check it out - PLEASE!" She came back on the line and gave me a quote for $1,095/yr, after multi-USAA account discount, good driving record discount, etc. Roughly $91.00 a month, but I have insurance.

Long story short: If you live in NJ, good luck - you're best bet is finding a location in PA/Delaware to "garage" the bus. I had no luck in NJ. Once I get the title paperwork back, I will re-engage for better insurance rates - and keep you posted. P.S. - this site is great, keep posting, so I can keep learning!

ceccles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Skoolie in NJ - Insurance Woes!

Update - just got my plate from KS DMV, and it has an RV sticker on it! Called them to verify what exactly the title will say on it. I was told that the title will still state "bus" as the chassis style, but it will have "RV" on the title as well. I will still re-address the insurance at a later time, but for now, I've got a plate!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Skoolie in NJ - Insurance Woes!

I've seen those too, thanks for the heads-up! Won't be too surprised, but once I get the title with it saying RV, I will take up the insurance battle again - because I think I'm overpaying anyway right now.