Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
SKOOLIE INSURANCE Insurance for School Bus Conversions

Some of you may have seen this already. It was new to me.

https://skoolieinsurance.com
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,952
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Going by the text on their site I assume they offer insurance for completed conversions. At least in Florida, the issue people face is insuring in-progress conversions.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,092
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I just spoke with them and they are currently offering insurance in:
CA, CO, TX, MO, IL & TN.

They require 85% completion of the conversion before writing coverage.

I asked what they could offer to someone who is just starting their conversion and explained how some are getting the "commercial vehicle for personal use" policies. They are going to check in to it and let me know.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Some of you may have seen this already. It was new to me.

https://skoolieinsurance.com
Yep...I posted a ad from these folks...sounds promising

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
These skoolies represent a niche in the insurance market that isn't directly represented, at least not out in the open. I hope this company can come up with some decent rates. They don't cover my state.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 176
The insurance for a skoolie is what is holding a lot of us back from getting a skoolie project started. I hope they get Oregon covered sometime soon. I think there is a fair amount of conversions here in the PNW.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Dead pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: in the bus on the road
Posts: 470
Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
The insurance for a skoolie is what is holding a lot of us back from getting a skoolie project started. I hope they get Oregon covered sometime soon. I think there is a fair amount of conversions here in the PNW.
Oregon was the easiest state I've ever tried in. We are in Celeste and are having a time of it. Our conversion is complete

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
People are ignoring the obvious elephant in the room concerning getting RV insurance. When you buy a bus, it is not an RV. Why would any insurance company in their right mind want to insure it as an RV when they could be forced to pay through the nose to replace your "RV" if you're in an accident? It's a fricking bus with the seats removed until you get all the stuff in there that makes it an RV. That usually takes a couple of years to accomplish actual RV status, so when its time for new tags at the two year point make your change to RV plates at that time when you actually qualify for RV plates. Meanwhile register it as a bus, van, truck, station wagon or whatever they want to call it so you can have it on the road.

You guys are trying to skip a step. They don't give out RV plates based on your intentions. You've got to understand that LEOs can not enter or search an RV without a warrant because it is considered a home. That opens the door for illegal activity while the LEOs can't search your vehicle because of its home status. So, the DMV is resistant to giving out RV plates when you don't qualify for them. It is just common sense.

Some states are tougher to get registration in. Others have done it before you.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Dead pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: in the bus on the road
Posts: 470
Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
People are ignoring the obvious elephant in the room concerning getting RV insurance. When you buy a bus, it is not an RV. Why would any insurance company in their right mind want to insure it as an RV when they could be forced to pay through the nose to replace your "RV" if you're in an accident? It's a fricking bus with the seats removed until you get all the stuff in there that makes it an RV. That usually takes a couple of years to accomplish actual RV status, so when its time for new tags at the two year point make your change to RV plates at that time when you actually qualify for RV plates. Meanwhile register it as a bus, van, truck, station wagon or whatever they want to call it so you can have it on the road.

You guys are trying to skip a step. They don't give out RV plates based on your intentions. You've got to understand that LEOs can not enter or search an RV without a warrant because it is considered a home. That opens the door for illegal activity while the LEOs can't search your vehicle because of its home status. So, the DMV is resistant to giving out RV plates when you don't qualify for them. It is just common sense.

Some states are tougher to get registration in. Others have done it before you.
You wish leo's can't enter your r.v. that had not been my experience. Ever. Probable Cause laws are the same for your house, and I'm sure we all have experienced leos violating that.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well, actually no. I've never had a LEO in my house, invited or otherwise. It works so much better to slip under the radar than to draw attention to yourself. Just cause is sometimes reasonable but not that hard to beat in court, then any evidence collected can't be used against you.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
People are ignoring the obvious elephant in the room concerning getting RV insurance. When you buy a bus, it is not an RV. Why would any insurance company in their right mind want to insure it as an RV when they could be forced to pay through the nose to replace your "RV" if you're in an accident? It's a fricking bus with the seats removed until you get all the stuff in there that makes it an RV. That usually takes a couple of years to accomplish actual RV status, so when its time for new tags at the two year point make your change to RV plates at that time when you actually qualify for RV plates. Meanwhile register it as a bus, van, truck, station wagon or whatever they want to call it so you can have it on the road.

You guys are trying to skip a step. They don't give out RV plates based on your intentions. You've got to understand that LEOs can not enter or search an RV without a warrant because it is considered a home. That opens the door for illegal activity while the LEOs can't search your vehicle because of its home status. So, the DMV is resistant to giving out RV plates when you don't qualify for them. It is just common sense.

Some states are tougher to get registration in. Others have done it before you.
I'm only trying to get liability, not full coverage.
They don't want to insure me because either - you took the seats out already or your conversion isn't finished.
It's already titled as a MH in Oregon where it is, I guess because there was no check as it's basically an empty shell.

Can I put in an airbed, a 5 gallon bucket, hang drop cloths around the bucket and a propane camping stove and take pics to National General and get liability then? I don't understand why that would affect *liability insurance*.

I just want to drive it home legally and park it in my f-ing driveway!!!!
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Can I put in an airbed, a 5 gallon bucket, hang drop cloths around the bucket and a propane camping stove and take pics to National General and get liability then? I don't understand why that would affect *liability insurance*.

I just want to drive it home legally and park it in my f-ing driveway!!!!
Well ... that is why most of us get a Commercial Policy for Personal Use as a starting point.

At that point it's a bus, and you are insuring it as a bus.

Most RV insurers will want to see permanent installations, and they will be more militant about it than DMVs when you change the title to "RV".

That said, there is nothing to stop you making the changes with a few sheets of plywood and some 2 x 4s, sending in the pics and getting insured.

After that you might decide to upgrade your fixtures and fittings, necessitating the removal of the original stuff and the supplying of new pics when you are done.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Well ... that is why most of us get a Commercial Policy for Personal Use as a starting point.

At that point it's a bus, and you are insuring it as a bus.

Most RV insurers will want to see permanent installations, and they will be more militant about it than DMVs when you change the title to "RV".

That said, there is nothing to stop you making the changes with a few sheets of plywood and some 2 x 4s, sending in the pics and getting insured.

After that you might decide to upgrade your fixtures and fittings, necessitating the removal of the original stuff and the supplying of new pics when you are done.
My seats were already removed, which I thought was a good thing because disposing of them would be a pain where I live, so Progressive won't insure me but it's not done, so National General won't insure it. . USAA won't I can't remember why, AAA said the GVWR is too high, and the local progressive agent says there's no such thing as commercial for personal use.
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,989
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
I'm only trying to get liability, not full coverage.
They don't want to insure me because either - you took the seats out already or your conversion isn't finished.
It's already titled as a MH in Oregon where it is, I guess because there was no check as it's basically an empty shell.

Can I put in an airbed, a 5 gallon bucket, hang drop cloths around the bucket and a propane camping stove and take pics to National General and get liability then? I don't understand why that would affect *liability insurance*.

I just want to drive it home legally and park it in my f-ing driveway!!!!
Don't tell your insurance company what vehicle you are attempting to buy, ask them if you're covered in a new purchase under your existing policy for a short period of time. I am.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
My seats were already removed, which I thought was a good thing because disposing of them would be a pain where I live, so Progressive won't insure me but it's not done, so National General won't insure it. . USAA won't I can't remember why, AAA said the GVWR is too high, and the local progressive agent says there's no such thing as commercial for personal use.
Progressive Commercial will insure it. It remains a bus and the number of seats really doesn't matter. They didn't ask me about seats.

Calling Progressive will not get this done.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Progressive Commercial will insure it. It remains a bus and the number of seats really doesn't matter. They didn't ask me about seats.

Calling Progressive will not get this done.
The website for commercial for personal use now includes a question where they specifically ask you if you have removed the seats. When did you use the website? I think it must have changed. I got the quote online follwing the instructions y'all gave, but then you have to call. She said that as soon as she put in that the seats were removed it said nope!

I don't think that's due to the state, but then again people use buses here for burning man, so maybe that's the problem? I'm not going to burning man! I hate sun, love shade, don't like flat, like mountains, don't like sandy nasty dirt that I have to clean out of absolutely everything. No thank you.

Could you try again on the site as if you wanted to insure another bus now?
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Do you still have one of those ancient phone books? Crack it open and look for an "Independent Insurance Agent." Let them do the searching for the "commercial policy for private use" and they'll set you up with Progressive sub insured by some trucking firm usually. All they normally offer at this stage is liability. Or you can continue calling agents directly.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You've got to understand that LEOs can not enter or search an RV without a warrant because it is considered a home.
They can't in your car or any other vehicle either unless (a) they have your consent or (b) see you in the commission of a crime. And even B is iffy as to when they have the right.

Too bad this fact isn't enforced, or respected in court much of the time.

Another thing...most LEOs don't know all of the DOT regs (even DOT officers).

Anything that pertains to your specific situation (State/Local codes, DOT interpretation emails, or anything else) should be printed and kept in a folder, along with a copy of your license and insurance, to be presented at any time.

Don't expect your friendly state trooper to know the law. Know it, document it. Be prepared to present it. And be polite.
rhbcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Definitely be polite. On the other hand if you say "Sir" 35 times in the first 5 minutes they don't like that either.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Definitely be polite. On the other hand if you say "Sir" 35 times in the first 5 minutes they don't like that either.
They should call you "Sir", and you should call them "Officer".

We are not the servants, it's the other way round but politeness and respect can move mountains.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×