Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie is in Texas, need to register it in Arizona

Hey y’all,

My friend and I are seniors in college in Dallas, TX and we just bought a shuttle bus that we’re going to convert over the summer in Arizona. We still have a few months until we move back but we’d like to register it now so we can drive it around in the mean time. Any advice on how we could register a vehicle in a different state from where we are located?

Ilikebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebeans View Post
Hey y’all,

My friend and I are seniors in college in Dallas, TX and we just bought a shuttle bus that we’re going to convert over the summer in Arizona. We still have a few months until we move back but we’d like to register it now so we can drive it around in the mean time. Any advice on how we could register a vehicle in a different state from where we are located?
look for the thread about registering your bus in VT. easiest thing to do
FrugalFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I'm in Arizona and the process here is pretty easy. If you have an Arizona driver's license you can get a one-way trip permit for $1 that would let you drive it from Texas to Arizona. You can do that online and print it out so that you are legal for the trip. The $1 permit is a 3-day permit, but it starts the day after you purchase it and does not include weekends. So if you get it on Friday it would be valid through the following Wednesday.

If you end up near us, near Flagstaff, let me know. We have a small RV registration cabinet that includes the necessary things for motorhome title status. We can temporarily secure it in your bus and then take it out again after it's registered. We would be happy to donate the time helping you do that.

Or there's the Vermont thing.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I'm in Arizona and the process here is pretty easy. If you have an Arizona driver's license you can get a one-way trip permit for $1 that would let you drive it from Texas to Arizona. You can do that online and print it out so that you are legal for the trip. The $1 permit is a 3-day permit, but it starts the day after you purchase it and does not include weekends. So if you get it on Friday it would be valid through the following Wednesday.

If you end up near us, near Flagstaff, let me know. We have a small RV registration cabinet that includes the necessary things for motorhome title status. We can temporarily secure it in your bus and then take it out again after it's registered. We would be happy to donate the time helping you do that.

How about I buy a hundred temporary permits from you and never register it anywhere?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Hi MokiB...I'm not sure how to take the double barreled "beat a dead horse" emojis...did I miss something?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Hi MokiB...I'm not sure how to take the double barreled "beat a dead horse" emojis...did I miss something?
Have bad eyes. Just looked like insects laughing. No hidden meaning. You may hibernate your decoder Ring.....
Just cleaning up.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Have bad eyes. Just looked like insects laughing. No hidden meaning. You may hibernate your decoder Ring.....
Just cleaning up.
Haha, no worries! I just thought I had missed some prior discussion on the merits and pitfalls of temporary trip permits...
Old 03-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

Quote:

@rossvtaylor Thank you so much! That temporary permit will come in handy once we need to drive her over. Also, could you explain this registration cabinet? We're pretty green and I haven't come across that term before
Old 03-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Sorry, that's a term we sort of made up I guess. Just what we call it. It's a portable cabinet, narrow enough to get through a bus door, that holds a sink and cooktop and basic electrical system and a heater. We lay a mattress or cot in the back, just for good measure. There's a list of items a motorhome must have...4 items from the list...to qualify. We screw this down for the registration change. We once used double-stick tape.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

@Rossvtaylor Ah ha! I figured it was something along those lines. We are still a few months away from moving out to AZ but we will certainly hit you up if needed. Thanks again for the reply, it was very helpful!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebeans View Post
@Rossvtaylor Ah ha! I figured it was something along those lines. We are still a few months away from moving out to AZ but we will certainly hit you up if needed. Thanks again for the reply, it was very helpful!
Well, when you do get out this way...even if you don't need registration help...please stop by. We have a pretty spot to park a skoolie for a night or two, and I'm happy to donate a couple of hours welding or helping with electrical or solar or whatever. And, the bonus is that the hills getting up to Flagstaff will be a good test of your bus climbing and engine cooling ability.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Sorry, that's a term we sort of made up I guess. Just what we call it. It's a portable cabinet, narrow enough to get through a bus door, that holds a sink and cooktop and basic electrical system and a heater. We lay a mattress or cot in the back, just for good measure. There's a list of items a motorhome must have...4 items from the list...to qualify. We screw this down for the registration change. We once used double-stick tape.
Ha ha this is awesome.

Tags
arizona, registration, shuttle bus, texas