Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
State Farm insurance denial

Well heard from several people that State Farm would insure bus conversions in WA, but was just told they will not until I am done and the outside is painted so it doesn't look like a school bus (they wanted pictures). Guess the bus will keep sitting here for a year more at least. Didn't realize insurance would be so tough to get. Kind of a bummer to have a rig you can't drive.

druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am not sure what is up with that.

I insured my first bus with State Farm in 2001 and currently have two buses insured with them.

Do you have other insurance with State Farm? If not, that could be the issue.

I have heard from another carrier that they will only issue a "commercial vehicle for personal use" policy if you have your other autos insured with them.

We have had home, auto & life insurance with State Farm for many years. I think my wife has been insured with them since 1985.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by druidwood View Post
Well heard from several people that State Farm would insure bus conversions in WA, but was just told they will not until I am done and the outside is painted so it doesn't look like a school bus (they wanted pictures). Guess the bus will keep sitting here for a year more at least. Didn't realize insurance would be so tough to get. Kind of a bummer to have a rig you can't drive.
If you had followed any of the heavily discussed insurance topics here you would know you would need a temporary "commercial for private use" policy to get around while it's still a bus. Once the legal requirements to take it out of service (stop sign removal, warning lights, yellow paint, etc) as a school bus, and 4 of the 6 criteria to meet RV/MH requirements, State Farm at that point will gladly take your money.
State Farm would not write the "commercial for private use" policy. They referred me to a competitor.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

PNW_Steve: I was willing to transfer my car and utility trailer to them, but it was the underwriters that said no. They didn't just have issue with the color, but with my interior not being complete. Sounds like they will do it once it is complete, and they may be the only people to do so.
01Marc - bus is already registered as a motorhome - lights/signs gone or disabled, legally in this state yellow is fine, but not for insurance I guess. I did read lots on this site, but think it is all so state specific that each person has to find out the rules on their own.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Insurance offerings vary considerably from state to state. Even with the same carrier.

I currently have two buses insured "commercial vehicle for personal use" through State Farm in Washington State.

I am still wondering if the OP has other lines with State Farm? That could be why they told him no?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

There are 3 State Farm agents in Monroe. Perhaps you could call a different one and don't volunteer the fact that you intend to convert the bus. Do not lie to them just don't give details unless they ask you directly.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I have insured three buses with two different agents with no issue.

There is always Progressive Commercial.....
Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
PNW_Steve: I was willing to transfer my car and utility trailer to them, but it was the underwriters that said no. They didn't just have issue with the color, but with my interior not being complete. Sounds like they will do it once it is complete, and they may be the only people to do so.
01Marc - bus is already registered as a motorhome - lights/signs gone or disabled, legally in this state yellow is fine, but not for insurance I guess. I did read lots on this site, but think it is all so state specific that each person has to find out the rules on their own.
I think you'll find most states use the standard "4 of 6 requirements" of:
Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply.
Any combination of 4 of the above clears you as an RV/MH. I think just because your title says RV don't make it so. I'm sure there are many who got titles changed because DMV flunkies were too lazy to ask for any proof. International School Bus Yellow is not state regulated, but a federal statute. I could be wrong.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Given that you already have it titled as an RV, did you ask for RV insurance? If so, I see the problem. State Farm will not insure mine as an RV until it is finished.

When I converted my first bus I titled it as an RV and insured it as "commercial for personal use" at the direction of my agent. When it was complete I submitted updated pictures and they switched it to RV insurance.

I am following the same process on the buses I have now.

Things vary by state and by carrier. Here in Washington they don't seem to care what the title says. They look at what the vin says it is and at pictures.

I did have to submit pictures to underwriting for all three buses and they were all approved.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Progressive commercial is what I had to move it and they said once you remove a seat it is void. State Farm did not check commercial, she will do that now should that be different. They wanted pictures so no hiding it is a yellow school bus, regardless of what the title says. Sounds like at least when I am done they will cover me.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Believe 01marc that here they require bed, cooking, bathroom - I have that. Answers seem to vary not only by state, but by who you talk to. I had state patrol tell me I had to go through Labor and Industries, but that is no longer true. Nothing worthwhile is easy though.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Believe 01marc that here they require bed, cooking, bathroom - I have that. Answers seem to vary not only by state, but by who you talk to. I had state patrol tell me I had to go through Labor and Industries, but that is no longer true. Nothing worthwhile is easy though.
Do I understand correctly that you already have it titled as an RV?

If so then you have no worries. If not, go to Barb's in Snohomish. They will take care of you.

They will ask you to fill out an Affidavit of Conversion and not ask for any inspection.

When you talk to State Farm again be sure and ask for "Commercial vehicle for personal use". My two policies are around $350/year each. However, if the vehicle is going to be parked for an extended period, you can suspend coverage and save a few $$.

Tags
conversion, insurance, state farm