Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
State Farm no longer writing new Personal Use of a Commercial Vehicle

My agent called me today and asked me to delete my post referring people to him for skoolie conversion insurance as he really won't be able to help them much anymore.

He told me that State Farm issued an internal memo about a week or two ago that they are no longer writing "new business" Personal Use of a Commerical Vehicle policies. Apparently they are having too many liability issues with people misusing those policies. The memo didn't specify but he and I both can make the educated guess that its the party bus industry, something I'm all too familar with.

According to the memo, clients with existing policies are not going to be cancelled or dropped at renewal. He said supposedly State Farm will consider writing a new Personal Use of a Commercial Vehicle policy for existing State Farm customers with a "good history" - the term "good" not being defined but most likely includes having other policies such as home or auto with signficant length, good payment history, not a lot of claims, etc.

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
My agent called me today and asked me to delete my post referring people to him for skoolie conversion insurance as he really won't be able to help them much anymore.

He told me that State Farm issued an internal memo about a week or two ago that they are no longer writing "new business" Personal Use of a Commerical Vehicle policies. Apparently they are having too many liability issues with people misusing those policies. The memo didn't specify but he and I both can make the educated guess that its the party bus industry, something I'm all too familar with.

According to the memo, clients with existing policies are not going to be cancelled or dropped at renewal. He said supposedly State Farm will consider writing a new Personal Use of a Commercial Vehicle policy for existing State Farm customers with a "good history" - the term "good" not being defined but most likely includes having other policies such as home or auto with signficant length, good payment history, not a lot of claims, etc.

theres a lot of everyone seemingly starting up a "party bus" company... after covid died down and people slingshotted back into going out vs staying home it seems like there are so many small party bus services.. I suppose thats why progressive has asked me this year that my bus use is personal and that it is a bus with seats.. when I renewed.. hoping that they dont drop that policy otherwise ill have no insurance for a seated bus less than 25 years old..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post

This was the feeling I was getting. I don't have a policy yet as I'm waiting to do the RV conversion on the title first, but State Farm gave me no issues when I called in to do it, they just asked for one photo, I sent them a pic and they were like sure, let us know when it's converted and we'll set you right up. They even said we'll put a note on your file about it so they can reference it later when I want to do it. I also have home owners, and 2 autos. And I've been noticing people who live in the bus full time having issues getting insurance. It's about money. If you have a policy with other line items they don't want to lose that income so they are going to insure you or I'll be taking my business elsewhere and they know it.

A bus that is a house and no other line items for them to make money off of you with is too much of a liability for most insurers. Simple as.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

I dont know.. when i asked state farm to insure my 2 busses as personal use of a commercial vehicle.. I got shut down instantly 'we dont do that".. ive been with them since mid 90s.. currently my house and 2 always-new cars.. my classic stuff is always hagerty since SF charged and arm and a leg for classic car.. im guessing iuts like all insurance.. certain states / zip codes.. state farm seems to be pulling out of alot of areas so im guessing they are not seeing good returns on anything they deem "higher risk".. people in FL are getting cancelled right and left by SF.. for home insurance, SF threatened to cancel the policy on my hyundai car till I informed them of the gory details how my actual car was built with the theft deterrent feature.. I would love to have access to thew data they get... I dont hear of tons of skoolie losses.. but im sure theres a lot more that occur which never make it to the news or the FB skoolie groups or this Board..
Old 10-24-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dont know.. when i asked state farm to insure my 2 busses as personal use of a commercial vehicle.. I got shut down instantly 'we dont do that".. ive been with them since mid 90s.. currently my house and 2 always-new cars.. my classic stuff is always hagerty since SF charged and arm and a leg for classic car.. im guessing iuts like all insurance.. certain states / zip codes.. state farm seems to be pulling out of alot of areas so im guessing they are not seeing good returns on anything they deem "higher risk".. people in FL are getting cancelled right and left by SF.. for home insurance, SF threatened to cancel the policy on my hyundai car till I informed them of the gory details how my actual car was built with the theft deterrent feature.. I would love to have access to thew data they get... I dont hear of tons of skoolie losses.. but im sure theres a lot more that occur which never make it to the news or the FB skoolie groups or this Board..

It may also be the agent you're dealing with at the time and who is doing your underwriting. State Farm agents vary far and wide across the country.

Either way I'll let you know how it goes when I get mine in like January or so.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
For me, state farm had no issue with insuring my rig. It just had to be legally titled, registered, and inspected as a Class A Motorhome after the conversion was complete. I guess that's the difference for our situation. We went the RV route. We're also only part time RVing, don't know if that makes a difference.

They won't accept any gimmicks like for rooftop decks, fireplaces, composting toilets etc. Appliances need to be permanent and a part of the vehicle and the RV living quarters need to be powered separately from the engine & drive train.

Most insurance companies I've ever spoke to about insuring commercial vehicles for personal use stated they either don't do it unless we had a business to register it with. This research was of course before we completed the conversion. Once converted, we had no issues getting it insured as a RV.
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
State farm

I am having troubles with state farm issuing a commercial policy for commercial use. I have been with state farm for 43 years have about 15 different insurance policies between personal cars trucks motorcycles health homeowner renters life insurance etc. when i went to add another semi truck to my policy they said they arent writing that type of policy for my use anymore. They even suggested they would not renew all my commercial policies. My agent went to bat for me and after several weeks of back and forth got them to issue the policy. It cost 400 a month but my other semi trucks only cost $230. I think the fact that we pay about $20,000 in annual premiums helped with close to no claims at all. I can see how someone else without my resources and record would have no luck getting a new policy. I have had them insure a bus for me a few months ago just to be able to drive it to sell it and that took a special act of the underwriter to approve.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
Almost There

I finished my RV conversion and thought I would contact state farm and change my policy to RV. They denied the RV insurance and left me on commercial. But the price went up. $44 a month for liability only.

99 Freightliner Blue bird 53 passenger 5.9 Cummins AT 545 4 speed Allison 3:73 gears
The lazy farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
I pay $350 a year for liability using Progressive Commercial Insurance.
I'm currently titled as a Bus and registered as a Personal Vehicle.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #10

My guy in Davenport, and working in IL was great. Got the initial personal policy done in a day. Then the RV conversion policy in less than a week.

Had to go to three secretary of states offices in IL, to title it though. Ounce I found someone with a brain, I was in and out in less than 20 min.

Malcolm the skoolie lives!

Thanks for all the info guys
BDMSHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:29 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Good Sam is easy and cheap bus insurance

Good Sam had insured me with liability insurance for $99 a Year for multiple buses and odd things I’ve used as an RV. They’ve insured without question, buses, ambulances, a couple of firetrucks and a handful of semi trucks in different configurations all as RV’s. I do it online and I don’t call and talk to a representative and everything I’ve tried to insure with them has worked instantly? Wandering how many others have Good Sam? I went to them after having troubles with most other companies.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I've been taking surveys of insurance companies and who's insuring, and Good Sam is the first time I've heard of it. I'll write it down.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Just quoted one of my buses in my driveway that i haven’t titled or registered yet, and I could have purchased the policy instantly. 2000 International 3400 7.3 Diesel 25’ dognose a lot like your Green one NWOleman, My quote was $61 for the first six months, and I got a ticket for red light and my front tires were definitely over the white line before red lol. But I did claim 1 traffic violation on this quote of $61 for 6 months. The only discount applied was for paying in full instead of installments. One of the only confusing parts might be when you’re choosing your manufacturer that made your bus, International’s are not on there. Scroll down through the manufacturer’s until you get to the M’s and choose “Manufacturer Not Found”, that will give you a spot to manually enter your manufacturer. That’s really the only confusing part of it in my opinion,
Attached Thumbnails
2A15BCC1-B7C9-4F76-8DD4-205027E87F5A.jpg  
Old 01-05-2024, 05:22 PM   #14
Bus Geek

just remember a list of who insures and who doesnt is not a great guide.. insurance companies use a multitude of factors.. many times the first questions are related to zipcode.. insurers are very zipcode specific.. and of course they are also very driver specific.. so if you get turned down by one make the rounds because your personal info or zip code info may match a policy offered whereas ther guy before you maybe not so much..

the only blanket things are that some insurers have stated they wont under aby circumstance insure roof raises, wood stoves or roof decks.. if your bus has those features then you can obviously avoid those insurers right away..
Old 01-06-2024, 12:08 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Cad, I’ve insured a couple buses with wood stoves in them through Good Sam? It wasn’t a question that ever came up for me? There’s no questions on the online application about roof raises, wood stoves or roof decks that I have ever seen with Good Sam? I’ve never had one with raised roof or a roof deck though. Agree on the different quotes for different parts of the US, I would think that areas that get a lot of snow and ice would be higher than the warmer drier places. Still wandering if age and experience are the Two biggest factors? I’ve been making a list of everyone that insures odd RV’s just in case Good Sam gives me the bird, I’ve gotten all my bus insurance with them for the last 6 years, want to be ready just in case this scenario comes up again. Used Progressive for about 15 years, never 1 claim, dropped me without warning while we were on the road.