Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway
Engine: 6.5L 3500 Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Tales from Title Purgatory

Hello Skoolie friends!

This is my first post on the forum, though I've been a member for a little bit now. I'm hoping someone here can give some advice on how to proceed with a particular sticky title issue I'm having.

I recently purchased (Jan. 21) a 2002 Chevy BlueBird short bus (6.5L 3500 24-seater) from a gentleman who had already begun the conversion process and had completed enough to get the title switched over in 2018 to a House on Wheels (New York title designation) from the previous 2016 bus title that was registered in New Jersey.

I purchased the bus in North Carolina, and have been trying to get the title switched over to me. This is where the fun starts. I have been to the DMV Tag and Title office six times. They continually told me the New York information needed to be updated in the national title database. I called the NY DMV two times, and each time they told me that it had been updated, and to wait 24-48 hours and it should be good to go. I've completed that process twice now, and when I went back to the DMV today, I was told that it still hadn't been updated and I needed to call the NY DMV again, which I did.

Except this time, the NY DMV employee told me that New York does not enter House on Wheels titles into the national database, which is why it's not pulling up on the system when NC DMV tries to retrieve it.

"So what do I need to do?" I ask. He tells me that NC should have a protocol for this sort of thing, as not all states in the U.S. use the national database system.

"Could I get something in writing saying this is the actual and most recent title that I could take to the DMV?" I ask. No, he says, because - get this - if they did it for me, they would have to do it for everybody else.

I ask again what, if anything, I can do to get this resolved. HE TELLS ME TO CONTACT MY ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE and to tell them of the problem I'm having to see if they can help.

I go back to the NC DMV. They give me their customer service line. It's all they can do. I call, and am on hold so long before anyone picks up, my phone terminates the call.

Back at the tag and title office, I ask what are my options if this doesn't work? They tell me that I can get a bond from my insurance company, which would entail an inspection by two different dealers or something - they don't really know what it is and can't fully explain it to me.

So, helpful Skoolie friends, any advice? Should I live like an outlaw on the run in an illegal skoolie? Should I light it on fire using the New York title as kindling and roast some delicious marshmallows? Any advice would be a great help.

Thank you,
DL3K

DL3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Idea - since there's quite a thread on it, and from what I gather it's quite easy, why not title/tag it through Vermont? You don't even have to be a resident.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

I did not know that, and I'll look into it, Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Idea - since there's quite a thread on it, and from what I gather it's quite easy, why not title/tag it through Vermont? You don't even have to be a resident.
That is a perfect idea - assuming VT does enter RVs in the database, which, I'm guessing nearly every state does.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

They do not. It was actually the state the NY DMV rep used as an example, saying Vermont doesn't use the database at all. According to the federal register, only 36 states do:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-system-nmvtis

a map: https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/webmap_march2017.pdf

The NC DMV has protocols they use for this type of thing, but apparently the NC DMV rep tried their normal method and it still didn't work
Old 02-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
That is a perfect idea - assuming VT does enter RVs in the database, which, I'm guessing nearly every state does.
Not sure why my other reply didn't post, but no, Vermont does not report to the database. It was actually the state used as an example by the NY DMV guy I was talking to. Per the federal register only 36 states do. Apparently NC has protocols for this, but for some reason, when the NC DMV rep tried it, it didn't work (I think because the entire NY title isn't showing up at all, only the NJ title.)

Here's a map
Old 02-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
I live in Tennessee but I'm getting my title in the name of an LLC that I will establish in Montana. There are no sales taxes in Montana and there is no vehicle inspection. Because my bus is over ten years old, I will never have to renew the license plate. If I have (heaven forbid) an auto accident, I cannot be sued. Rather, the LLC in which the bus is registered will bear the lawsuit.

Please note that I am not affiliated with the folks for which I am providing the following link. I'm simply a customer. But I put this up here because folks on this forum are not alone. There are a lot of various states throughout the country who just make it very difficult to license and register the vehicles we so lovingly create. It is perfectly legal and completely possible for anyone in any state in the U.S. to establish an LLC for the purposes of aquiring titles to their vehicles.
Here is a link if anyone wants more information:

https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...montana/rv-llc
Old 02-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Over 15 years old Vermont does not issue a title. What you get is tags and registration. Works for me.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Over 15 years old Vermont does not issue a title. What you get is tags and registration. Works for me.
So if I did it with Vermont, I'd have no way to prove my ownership of the vehicle or be able to then sell it to anyone else?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Not something I had thought of, so not sure on that. I did not have a title only a bill of sale, and that is what Vermont uses.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Not something I had thought of, so not sure on that. I did not have a title only a bill of sale, and that is what Vermont uses.
It looks like this may be my only option either way. Thanks for the help!