Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Temorary sticker or permit?

Hey everybody! I've been looking for buses almost for a year and finally found one I think might be the one! But of course, now it's the dreaded insurance time. I don't currently have insurance as I don't have a vehicle, but my boyfriend does. My question is would he be able to put the bus on his insurance just drive it home from buying it with a temporary tag or something, then once it's in the location I'm doing the build I will work on meeting the motorhome requirements so I can ensure it myself? Will I have problems insuring it as a motorhome if I had the bus have a temporary tag under my boyfriend's name/ different company?

Smallbusprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Check with his insurance company and see if they cover current purchases under his existing policy. State Farm does for 7 days, even though they won't insure the bus as a bus. You can get insurance with nothing more than the VIN of the vehicle. Technically it seems a temp tag is required in every state you go through, though no one is ever pulled over in a bus with no tag in transit. I traveled from Seattle to Atl at 10 over the whole way with no tags, not problem. You won't be able to get valid RV insurance until 4 of 6 requirements have been met in the conversion.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
If I understand your question correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. Insurers don't insure the owner, they insure the vehicle. For example, we had our bus insured while it was still the property of the school district.

Likewise, there won't be any problem with you insuring it as a motor home just because it was insured as something else under a different name. Again, they're insuring the vehicle, not the owner.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
If I understand your question correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. Insurers don't insure the owner, they insure the vehicle. For example, we had our bus insured while it was still the property of the school district.

Likewise, there won't be any problem with you insuring it as a motor home just because it was insured as something else under a different name. Again, they're insuring the vehicle, not the owner.
Not necessarliy, often specific drivers are listed on the policy and only those named are covered. If an unlicensed driver got in an accident in my insured bus, I can guarantee they will deny coverage on my insured bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote