Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Temporary permits in non-issued states

So we buy a currently unregistered bus in State A, and get a temporary permit to drive it back to State C.

What do we do about State B? Or our home State C, for that matter?

From the limited states I've looked at, temporary permits are only good in the state where they're issued. And I can't ht find any permits intended for passing through.

ls there a general legal precedent that states recognize each other's permits? Or are you just hoping LE is having a good day if you get pulled over w/ a temp permit?

What's the best way to do this 'right'?

TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've never heard of travel or temp permits to be only used in the state of purchase. That's the whole purpose of temp plates, to get the vehicle home. If you have a temp tag on it I doubt any LEO will stop you for it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

That's what I figured too, Marc. But the states I've looked at all declare that the permit is good within their state only. I can't imagine I'd be hassled for it either, but as a teenager I learned I can fail to be imaginative enough when it comes to anticipating what's important to LE
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
That's what I figured too, Marc. But the states I've looked at all declare that the permit is good within their state only. I can't imagine I'd be hassled for it either, but as a teenager I learned I can fail to be imaginative enough when it comes to anticipating what's important to LE
What does your DMV say you need to come into the state, buy a vehicle and move it to another state?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Don't know yet, but you're right... that's a good place to start.

Thanks Marc!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
What states have you found with this restriction on the temp tag?

Do you know what state you will be buying from?

It may be possible that those states issue both intra, (good for only that state), and inter-state temporary registrations. I know NY does that.

I got a trip permit from Oregon and it was valid for 10 days without geographic restrictions.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
When we were looking we found that FL allows non-residents to get a temp tag for travel out of state, but VA only has temp tags for residents and in-state movement. As o1marc said, check the state DMV site to see what they offer.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have purchased numerous trip permits in WA over the last 35+ years and never thought twice about using them to pick up vehicles from various states.

As of the last one I bought (201 it does not say anything about geographic restrictions.

While reading RCW's on the DOL website I came across the law stating that the permit is only for use within the state.

I asked at the place I pick them up and they had no clue........... I can hear it coming........ No they weren't government employees
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
So we buy a currently unregistered bus in State A, and get a temporary permit to drive it back to State C.

What do we do about State B? Or our home State C, for that matter?

From the limited states I've looked at, temporary permits are only good in the state where they're issued. And I can't ht find any permits intended for passing through.

ls there a general legal precedent that states recognize each other's permits? Or are you just hoping LE is having a good day if you get pulled over w/ a temp permit?

What's the best way to do this 'right'?
I've bought buses from several states. Some simply WON'T issue a temporary tag. In that case I just drive it without one. Only state that ever gave me a temp tag was texas and they let you print out your own.
If you have the title and proof of insurance you'll be just fine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I just spoke with Ga. DMV. They don't issue temp tags for vehicles here due to the 7 day BOS rule, of course that doesn't help me in another state. The exception here is they will issue s temp permit while you are collecting title paperwork. I asked about the BOS sale rule in other states and they just said check that's laws. I don't recommend doing anything illegal, but find if you have current BOS, signed title, and proof of insurance you will not have any issues. If you do it's because you pissed off the LEO for some reason.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Very interesting to hear of everyone's experiences.

Wasn't long ago I wouldn't have given it any thought & just rolled the dice, but I've a bit more risk averse lately, so I try not to assume things even when it seems like there's no reason to worry.

I've talked with three different state DMVs today regarding the issue. Two told me that I'd need to call the states I was traveling through to verify that they recognized their permit. The third was one of those states and they said they would. In all cases, however, the permit itself was only guaranteed good w/in the state of issue.

I'm guessing most do just to be neighborly, but it's not like there's a federal mandate.