Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #1

Texas bus to Motorhome retitle not as easy as I thought.

Bluebird TC2000 medium size conversion in Texas.

Trying to adhere to states requirements not as easy as I thought.

All but two seats removed, installed full-size 4 range propane cook top stove with oven, Mini fridge, 110 invertor outlet and heater with separate power source powered by other than vehicle power.

Current insurance coverage.

Completed Texas state inspection for motorhome.
VTR-61 filled out
Texas application for title 130 form filled out
Vehicle title in hand and in my name.

Got the rig weighed via Cat scale. which was surprised at the weight being 16,000lbs darn near empty for a medium size 29ft long rig and weighs 16,000lbs WOW.

Color print photos of exterior and interior.
All School logos removed and painted over.

Went to county and was able to hand over every exact document that they asked for.
All I's dotted and T's crossed.

The person working with me said to wait a min and that they were going to have the supervisor look at everything.

After nearly 45 mins past closing time at the county office and I was the only customer left in there just sitting and watching what looked like a entire team of employees pouring over all of the documents not to mention at least one or two of the people were on the phone with the "State" getting answers.

They finally told me No Go on getting the rig titled as a motorhome.

At first they started telling me There was no way to prove or see that the required items that I had installed to the rig such as the stove, fridge ,heater and power outlet that were installed could not be proven they were permanently attached to the vehicle.

During this time I was reading to them from chapter 11 Occupations Code, Section 2301.002 and explaining that there is no mention of requirements of proof that something was bolted and that there is no mention that photos of bolts are required for securing items.

They finally told me that my self contained buddy heater was not permanently attached and that it would need to be permanently attached with photos in order to move forward.

So that's were I am at with getting titled as a motorhome in Texas.

My solution was to purchase a Dearborn propane heater which is now connected to another propane tank and in my opinion is far more dangerous to have in a motorhome than a little propane buddy heater but hey gotta do what the state says right.

Will be going back for round two when I can.
Apparently everything could still go south again once all paperwork goes to state.

Interesting that One would follow the rules set fourth on the States website and still not be in compliance.

BTW

Anyone in Texas looking to learn the verbiage that the Counties use and refer to when completing a bus to Motorhome retitle here is the link to the Texas DMV website for assembled and reconstructed vehicles.

Chapter 11 In particular

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...cle_Manual.pdf

Bigbadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:45 AM   #2

Did you ever get your title?
I turned in my paperwork with pictures. Got my title back in the mail. It is still classified as a van.
Moltensurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
Me too

It was a decade ago but I needed to go to several locations before one would accept my paperwork, I had to print the manual because most locations have never done what you are asking, if you search under bubb, I wrote in detail how I did it,
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 01:28 PM   #4

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb, the real one View Post
It was a decade ago but I needed to go to several locations before one would accept my paperwork, I had to print the manual because most locations have never done what you are asking, if you search under bubb, I wrote in detail how I did it,
You wrote out the statues? I'm sorry, what did you print out?
HappyDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 05:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

There is a manual that the license people use that quotes the laws and tells the employees how to do there jobs, in that manual there is a section that is 3 sentences long that describes that it is legal to retitle a school bus to manufactured mobile home, the employees at 3 different locations were not aware that it was legal, so I printed that page and showed it to them,
Old 05-13-2024, 05:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

I posted details on what I did a decade ago, search my name, bubb, and see what I wrote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:31 AM   #7
Skoolie

Yes, titled as remanufactured mobile home