Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP-EF
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger GVWR 33,350
Texas Insurance prior to conversion

I just purchased a 2000 ThomasBuilt EF MVP at an auction, the us is still in its natural setting (still a school bus). I must have insurance with the bus named on the policy before I can pick it up from the school district yard and I cannot find anyone willing to insure it as a RV unconverted.

What have other Texas residents done to get their bus home and do you have any suggestions for agents or companies to speak to.

Companies that have turned us down so far.
Goodsam, Progressive, National General, …….
Attached Thumbnails
1T88R4B20Y1083643 - Right Front.jpg  

KAT-MVP-EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Allstate was where I went when I needed a quick policy for one day. Wasn't any problems. I had to insure a bus I didn't own just to get on the lot to look at it.
State Farm insures me in any vehicle I buy for 7 days, even though they won't insure a bus.
Who ever you find, do a monthly policy with a small down and cancel after you get it home.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Congratulations on the bus!
Not in Texas, but I JUST got off the phone with Progressive. I was kind of nervous for some reason, but the whole thing was super easy

Based on everything I've read (thanks Skoolie Fam!) - we need a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" Liability Policy. Those are the magic words apparently. You will get a different policy with a different carrier when your conversion is complete.

My process:
1. Go online to Progressive Commercial ( https://www.progressivecommercial.com/ ) and start the "quote online process" by entering your zip and selecting "Commercial Auto" - click GET QUOTE.

2. On the next page, in the upper left, there is a little "REQUEST A CALL" button. DO THIS!
(Don’t waste your time calling the 1800 number - I spent a total of 40 minutes, 3 separate calls on hold until I clicked this REQUEST A CALL button - then I got a call in 1 minute and was talking to an agent in 4 minutes.)

3. Be super nice to your agent - they're your friend now
Key points: You have a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" - tell them you're going to use it for storage on your property - “hey it's cheaper than a shipping container or free-standing shed!”

4.THE BIG QUESTION:They will ask "What kind of vehicle is this?" I started with "1995 International" and when he asked again I just told him "it's an old school bus, we got a killer deal on it!"
My agent was super cool about it, and didn’t skip a beat when I said “school bus”
Don’t mention anything about your conversion, RVs, motor homes, or anything like that - this policy is ONLY for the bus pre-conversion. You will have to call a different insurance company (I hear State Farm) for the RV / Conversion insurance.

5. Provide your VIN#, all drivers’ information (name, age, birthdate, driver’s licence #, etc)

6. They will run some numbers, and ask some questions about the vehicle:
- how far will the vehicle be driven? (I gave them the miles i will drive the bus home from auction, in my case 250mi)
- what will it be used for? (storage)
- where will it be parked? - (your property)
- does it have a wheelchair lift? (yes/no)
- does it still have all of the seats? (i said maybe, but i will take them out when i pick up the bus, my agent entered “no” on his side)
- just stick to your guns that this is an innocent little storage bus, no big deal!!

7. I opted out of any additional insurance, just stuck to a 6mo. Liability policy covering other’s property - I was off the phone with my policy in 26minutes - $260 for coverage!

I think I got the order of operations right there - bottom line, be friendly, stick to your guns, NO this is not an RV, it is a Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use - Liability Policy (available in 6mo, 12mo, MAYBE 1mo policies)

These guys have a pretty good guide also - https://www.skoolielivin.com/school-...ion-insurance/

GOOD LUCK - DRIVE SAFE - HAVE FUN!!!
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Bear Gerschafer's description is 100% accurate. I was also going to recommend Progressive for a "Commercial Vehicle for Private Use" policy. We've had to do that on pre-converted ambulances and buses. It's more expensive than post-conversion RV insurance, but it works. I found this route going through USAA, my primary insurer...they don't offer the insurance themselves, but they have a relationship with Progressive for these kinds of things and they shunted me over to them...which worked out. I've had to do this 4 or 5 times and it worked just like Bear wrote.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I spoke to Progressive yesterday after doing the online quote and the agent I spoke didn't seem to want to write the policy and referred me to two other companies that both complained that Progressive keeps referring people to them and they do not insure school buses of any type. I'll call Progressive back today.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I think the key for me was that I will only be using the bus for storage for the next 6 months
Technically this is the honest truth - I will be storing lots of lumber, electric components, water tanks and appliances in the bus. Until it is finished, then it will no longer be 'only storage'

My progressive agent did mention that they do not cover school bus conversions, bus RV's or bus motor homes - which I have seen referenced in this forum as well. It seems trickier to get insurance for the converted bus/RV than just a commercial vehicle used for personal use, or for storage on your property. You could just be a bus collector who likes to look at buses in their yard

I can drive around my property ALLL day doing whatever I want in the bus (anything legal) - just cant use it for any commercial means.
Also can't keep it insured with progressive if it is converted or modified in any way - but that is all part of the plan my friend
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
I think the key for me was that I will only be using the bus for storage for the next 6 months
Technically this is the honest truth - I will be storing lots of lumber, electric components, water tanks and appliances in the bus. Until it is finished, then it will no longer be 'only storage'

My progressive agent did mention that they do not cover school bus conversions, bus RV's or bus motor homes - which I have seen referenced in this forum as well. It seems trickier to get insurance for the converted bus/RV than just a commercial vehicle used for personal use, or for storage on your property. You could just be a bus collector who likes to look at buses in their yard

I can drive around my property ALLL day doing whatever I want in the bus (anything legal) - just cant use it for any commercial means.
Also can't keep it insured with progressive if it is converted or modified in any way - but that is all part of the plan my friend
Progressive changed their policy mid year last year and quit insuring buses of any sort, canceled monthly policies and nonrenewed yearly policies. You don't need insurance if you're just driving your property. Insurance for a completed RV conversion is very simple with multiple companies. IMHO Progressive is the worst insurance company on earth.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Progressive changed their policy mid year last year and quit insuring buses of any sort, canceled monthly policies and nonrenewed yearly policies. You don't need insurance if you're just driving your property. Insurance for a completed RV conversion is very simple with multiple companies. IMHO Progressive is the worst insurance company on earth.
Ah...that's interesting and helpful. My last experience with them, for a commercial/private use policy was over a year ago...so my info is apparently dated. I appreciate the current news, sir.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Got my ID cards today and certificate of insurance today! Progressive came through
Commercial Vehicle - Personal Use - Liability only - NOT a motor home = magic words.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #10

Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 9 window
Give this guy a call, in Texas. He will get you the best price!

Texas Legacy Insurance (Chris Wood)
chappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
Got my ID cards today and certificate of insurance today! Progressive came through
Commercial Vehicle - Personal Use - Liability only - NOT a motor home = magic words.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Bear!!! Got my bus covered today per your guidance. Well done. Now I just need the temp tags from DMV and I'll head to Kansas to get my bus. Thanks again!
DiddBiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I picked my bus today, I ended up not buying insurance, after reading my auto policy it appears to cover any vehicle purchased for personal use for 30 days, and it ended up no one even asked to see my insurance.

It was parked since mid 2019, and started right up after installed new batteries and ran fine for 150 mile trip home.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddBiddy View Post
Thanks Bear!!! Got my bus covered today per your guidance. Well done. Now I just need the temp tags from DMV and I'll head to Kansas to get my bus. Thanks again!

Congrats on the bus!! Another tip - we looked at temp moving tags for the bus and it was SUCH a headache. We opted for the good 'ol handwritten "Just Purchased -In Transit" sign in the back windows and drive the 300miles home with no problemo.
(definitely not professional or legal advice, do your due diligence )

(Edit: spelling -on my phone)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy58 View Post
Give this guy a call, in Texas. He will get you the best price!

Texas Legacy Insurance (Chris Wood)

I’m gonna call him...
shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowers View Post
I picked my bus today, I ended up not buying insurance, after reading my auto policy it appears to cover any vehicle purchased for personal use for 30 days, and it ended up no one even asked to see my insurance.

It was parked since mid 2019, and started right up after installed new batteries and ran fine for 150 mile trip home.
Where are you located Bowers?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #16

Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 9 window
His office is in Stephenville, Tx.
chappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #17

Year: 2006
Coachwork: She & I
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowers View Post
I just purchased a 2000 ThomasBuilt EF MVP at an auction, the us is still in its natural setting (still a school bus). I must have insurance with the bus named on the policy before I can pick it up from the school district yard and I cannot find anyone willing to insure it as a RV unconverted.

What have other Texas residents done to get their bus home and do you have any suggestions for agents or companies to speak to.

Companies that have turned us down so far.
Goodsam, Progressive, National General, …….
State Farm, look no further
Rebel Yell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: WARD / AMTRAN
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DIESEL
Rated Cap: 74
Handled mine - very good

Matt scheffler – 817-249-1187 – bus insurance - benbrook – allstate - susie - international –bus vin etc.. –
TXDRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I had no problem insuring mine with State Farm but it is insured as a private bus. Could not find a good reason to go to the trouble of changing the title to an RV. I also did not insure it until I had converted it.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger, 29000lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDRP View Post
Matt scheffler – 817-249-1187 – bus insurance - benbrook – allstate - susie - international –bus vin etc.. –
Thank you so much TXDRP!!!

I called Matt's office and spoke with Jeremiah.
I could not believe how professional and well-versed these people are with skoolies. The receptionist that answered the phone even corrected me when I said "converted RV". Of course I was trying to be coy.
She quickly answered, are you asking for our skoolie coverage?
My jaw literally dropped.
Jeremiah was really easy to talk to. He knew all the right questions to ask and at the end of our conversation he shocked me even more.
He offered comprehensive coverage!
Everything I ever heard or read, said that all we could ever get was collision.
Well let me tell you something. Allstate offers full comprehensive bumper to bumper coverage.

Even better, they do not require you to re-register your schoolbus as a motorhome, to give you RV coverage.

To TOP it all off. They did all this over the phone!

Sorry if I sound a bit over-excited, but these people erased all of the misconceptions that I had regarding insurance coverage for my skoolie.
mrlupr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance coverage, insurance tx, texas