Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas/ International
Engine: Caterpiller
Rated Cap: 76
Texas Insurers

Howdy all!! Been doing the roundy round and down the rabbit hole over insurance in Texas for weeks anyone have any resources?

Cheroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC 300
Engine: Navistar
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheroki View Post
Howdy all!! Been doing the roundy round and down the rabbit hole over insurance in Texas for weeks anyone have any resources?
Hello Cheroki
I had the same problem as you. I went to an insurance agent. She gave me a COMMERCIAL liability policy ONLY for 6 months through progressive.
Truckerjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

Smile Ins

Thnx very much my friend that,worked and as of today the bus is insured, (only been working on this for a month )==yippiekiyayyyy, lol, now can get it inspected and registered!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 2003 International CE; 2 A/C Units; PS; Air Brakes
Engine: T444E 7.3L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers
texas insurance

My agent at the Texas Farm Bureau said they would insure when I'm ready. Yes, even a bus conversion, but he will add a rider to the policy detailing the conversion to be sure it is covered correctly.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #5

I have my personal auto with Texas Farm Bureau and they turned me down flat as did Progressive. But this agent got it through Progressive so heck if I know lol, been a LONG process, but getting bus inspected tomorrow!!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

YeeeHawwww the bus is legal!!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
mind if i ask you the steps for registering it? registered as bus or mh / rv? im in dallas and am beginning my search for a bus
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Process for motorhome title on bus

I had a very hard time getting just personal liability insurance. The next step I searched Texas DMV site for requirements to license as motorhome. It will give you about ( 6-7 ) requirements to work that, but you only have to have ( 4 ) I believe according to thier website. I am doing Elect. System, composting toilet, fridge and a bed, which I believe covers what I need. On completion of work you must take the bus with interior and exterior photos and a completed Altered Vehicle Form to your local DMV for inspection. Form # escapes me its on the website with the requirements. If you are succesful they will send a new MotorHome title for the bus. If you have more questions I will help all I can!!!! Have a great day!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Quote:
I had a very hard time getting just personal liability insurance. The next step I searched Texas DMV site for requirements to license as motorhome. It will give you about ( 6-7 ) requirements to work that, but you only have to have ( 4 ) I believe according to thier website. I am doing Elect. System, composting toilet, fridge and a bed, which I believe covers what I need. On completion of work you must take the bus with interior and exterior photos and a completed Altered Vehicle Form to your local DMV for inspection. Form # escapes me its on the website with the requirements. If you are succesful they will send a new MotorHome title for the bus. If you have more questions I will help all I can!!!! Have a great day!!!
More than enough help! Saved me a lot of time researching to get general idea. I'm assuming then you had to get it titled and insured as a private bus when you first bought it. Wondering if I strip the seats and find local dump close to where I buy the bus and ditch them fast if they'll let you register it not as a bus like other states. I believe it had to be under 15 capacity
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #10

At present mine still has ALL the seats, have not started deconstruction yet! But have collected almost everything I want to do the build except solar panels. I am re using part of the seat frames in the build everything else will go yo scrap.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 international
This might be a little late for you jjhwick, but from the research I have done, and where I am stuck it is easier to get insurance coverage either before or after conversion. If it were me I would leave the seats in and insure it as a private bus, then convert it and update everything at that time. I bought my bus partially converted which means a lot less labor, but I am having a huge headache trying to get insurance.
cgillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerjose View Post
Hello Cheroki
I had the same problem as you. I went to an insurance agent. She gave me a COMMERCIAL liability policy ONLY for 6 months through progressive.
Mind sharing what insurance agency helped you? Also, how much a month or for the six months?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thnx very much my friend that,worked and as of today the bus is insured, (only been working on this for a month )==yippiekiyayyyy, lol, now can get it inspected and registered!
So, how much a month did you pay? And what company/agency?

I'm in Houston also.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
how I changed the title and registered a bus in killeen texas in 2013

If the bus is titled as a school bus or private bus you will need to get a class B CDL license, so your goal is to get a few pictures of the inside and outside of the bus and go to your local tax assessors office to get its title switched over to Rv, it will need to look like an RV in the pictures, actually it will be retitled as a "reconstructed MH". The following is what you give to the tax assessor people to make them believe what you want to do can be done, they will deny it is possible until they go look it up themselves in their own manual, retitling is rarely done and you will be the first person that they have heard of that wanted to do this,

Dont drive a bus without a class B "non cdl" license or proper insurance,
I would hate go get in a wreck and discover the insurance company researches my license type and discovers I am not licensed to drive this vehicle and they then refuse to pay and cancel my policy.
I would hate go get pulled over by the only DPS officer in texas that is aware of the Class B requirement and he decides to tow my bus since I am not properly licensed to drive it.

If you purchase a bus and it does not have a license plate and is not registered you can go to the local tax assessor and spend $5 to get a temp plate which allows you to drive it home, you can call GMAC, their new name is national general, they are the only place that would insure mine, this makes you more legal in your driving, It is now 2019 and I still have national general insurance, about 400 per year,

Take this to the tax assessors office to get it retitled, print this page to bring to them,
"motor vehicle title manual" book 451, section 14.6 Motor Homes, july 2013, ""tell them the info on this one line"", all the info they need is in one single sentence in the manual,
quote on ""Converted Trucks and Buses
Used trucks, truck-tractor and buses, which have been reconstructed or converted to
contain living quarters, should be titled as Motor Homes and register with passenger
plates. Owners should support the title application with a photograph of the interior and
exterior, a weight certificate verifying the gross weight, and a Rebuilt Vehicle Statement,
Form VTR-61 explaining the alteration. The make, year model, and vehicle identification
number should be the same as that shown on the title covering the truck, truck-tractor or
bus.
Note: When the certificate of title is issued for this type of vehicle, the notation
“Reconstructed” appears."" quote off

Once you get it titled as an RV "reconstructed MH" you will then get a regular car license plate, the vehicle inspection is easier, the yearly registration fee is much less,

If the vehicle weighs 26000lbs or less gvwr you can drive with a class C license, if it is 26001 lbs. or more you will need a class B non CDL license, I have spoke to almost 2 dozen drivers license employees and they all disagree with this even though it is in the drivers manual, I have spoke with 2 deputies and 3 city police officers and they all think that any RV regardless of the weight only requires a class C license, but the drivers manual clearly states this.
Class C vs Class B license relies upon it gvwr weight and nothing else, CDL relies upon how it is titled, if it is titled as a school bus or private bus then you need a CDL, yes you can get a class C CDL license,

The texas drivers manual clearly states on the first page of the prologue section that you are exempt from getting a CDL if you drive an RV for personal use,
quote on
""CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;
CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating,
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus""
quote off
Ignore the last line of the Class B section above, it is for CDL drivers only,

On the very same page in the prologue is clearly states that you will need a Class B depending upon the gvwr, which is basically the manufacturers recommended max weight of the vehicle including the bus, cargo and passengers, look on the plate where the vin number is for this number. Lots of buses come in at 25500 lbs and they only need a class C license.

If your vehicle has air brakes it is a separate test, not a driving test, it just a few quick questions with the tester in your vehicle.
Memorize the following, you basically sit in the bus with the drivers license tester for a few minutes playing around with the brakes and answering a few questions

Setup, engine running and wheels chocked, air at 120psi or more.
1. Push in both air valve buttons if you have two, and turn key off, then turn key to ACC, tell the examiner "cant loose more than 2psi in one minute"
2. Hold brake down firmlywith your foot and tell examiner " cant loose more than 3psi in a minute"
3. Pump brakes till low air warning sound comes on at 60psi.
4. Pump brakes till valves pop out at 20-40psi.
The test is now over.

You can find videos of this test online, it helps to understand how to do the air brake test.

bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #15

Texas Farm Bureau quoted me liability only yesterday. Which was fine, but I went to All State and got full coverage. They were familiar with Skoolies and had no problem at all. You can call Matt at All State in Benbrook.
GUMDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMDrop View Post
Texas Farm Bureau quoted me liability only yesterday. Which was fine, but I went to All State and got full coverage. They were familiar with Skoolies and had no problem at all. You can call Matt at All State in Benbrook.
What did TFB quote you? Also, whats it cost with Allstate? Were they commercial policies? Please Share!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Just called Texas Farm Bureau and someone told me they don't have any guidelines for insuring buses. Don't understand
Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMDrop View Post
Wow, I'm happy you mentioned Matt over at Allstate! As of today, My bus is insured!!!

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #19

Year: 2004
Chassis: RE 300
Engine: International DT466/Maxxforce DT
Rated Cap: Class 8: 33,001 lb and ab
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Wow, I'm happy you mentioned Matt over at Allstate! As of today, My bus is insured!!!

Thanks a lot!
Hi folks,

Just wanted to drop by and +1 Matt at Allstate. He made it super quick, easy and painless. Definitely give him a call!

orbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: MVP-ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L tan block, MD 3060
I also just got insurance from Matt's office after my own Allstate agent turned me down. They don't care what stage of the conversion you are in, seats or not, and they don't care about vehicle weight. They will give you just liability or the whole menu. I asked about other states and the only one she knew they could not write policy in would be North Carolina. Called a Motor Home policy. No inspection required. She said they were the only company that knew how to write a correct skoolie policy. My premium was a little higher due to less than sterling accident record (one car accident, rolled my car, landed in the pasture and the fence was not damaged. The cedar boughs slowed me and set me down.) Average cost would probably be five to six hundred a year.
See number below for Matt's Allstate in Benbrook.
GUMdrop for posting about this agent.
skooliedog@gmail.com
SMMTX is offline   Reply With Quote