Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE300
Engine: MaxxForce DT
Question Texas- Registration, Insurance, Inspection

Hello,
I just bought a 2009 International bus on Friday and drove it 4 hours straight from the school district’s bus barn to my home. I assumed my car insurance would cover me for driving for the trip and I would get temp tags from the school district but that’s just my brain not thinking about the whole process (I was assuming it was like when you buy a car- you take care of everything there). I made it home, parked it and am taking the seats out to lighten the load before going to get it weighed. I am worried because I have to get my CDL still and I’m scared to get in trouble with everything. What do you all recommend I do first?
I was thinking of getting the bus completed, then registered, insured, CDL. But the build is going to take me at least 6 months. After reading so many threads, I am scared to get in trouble if I don’t register it within a certain amount of time.
Please help me. I am so lost!

Thanks,
Cody

vegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabond View Post
Hello,
I just bought a 2009 International bus on Friday and drove it 4 hours straight from the school district’s bus barn to my home. I assumed my car insurance would cover me for driving for the trip and I would get temp tags from the school district but that’s just my brain not thinking about the whole process (I was assuming it was like when you buy a car- you take care of everything there). I made it home, parked it and am taking the seats out to lighten the load before going to get it weighed. I am worried because I have to get my CDL still and I’m scared to get in trouble with everything. What do you all recommend I do first?
I was thinking of getting the bus completed, then registered, insured, CDL. But the build is going to take me at least 6 months. After reading so many threads, I am scared to get in trouble if I don’t register it within a certain amount of time.
Please help me. I am so lost!

Thanks,
Cody
Good info here, read post #32.

Hope you find it helpful.

What part of Texas are you at?
I’m moving to Killeen in January!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
Tx

Search my old posts under bubb, I wrote what I did to get a class b non CDL license, and to change the title away from school bus
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote