Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73
Texas title and drivers license stuff

If the bus is titled as a school bus or private bus you will need to get a class B CDL license, so your goal is to get a few pictures of the inside and outside of the bus and go to your local tax assessors office to get its title switched over to Rv, it will need to look like an RV in the pictures, actually it will retitled as a "reconstructed MH". The following is what you give to the tax assessor people to make them believe what you want to do can be done, they will deny it is possible until they go look it up themselves, retitling is rarely done and you will be the first person that they have heard of that wanted to do this,

I would hate go get in a wreck and discover the insurance company researches my license type and discovers I am not licensed to drive this vehicle and they then refuse to pay and cancel my policy.
I would hate go get pulled over by the only DPS officer in texas that is aware of the Class B requirement and he decides to tow my bus since I am not properly licensed to drive it.

If you purchase a bus and it does not have a license plate and is not registered you can go to the local tax assessor and spend $5 to get a temp plate which allows you to drive it home, you can call GMAC, their new name is national general, they are the only place that would insure mine, this makes you more legal in your driving,

Take this to the tax assessors office to get it retitled,
"motor vehicle title manual" book 451, section 14.6 Motor Homes, july 2013, ""tell them the info on this one line""
quote on ""Converted Trucks and Buses
Used trucks, truck-tractor and buses, which have been reconstructed or converted to
contain living quarters, should be titled as Motor Homes and register with passenger
plates. Owners should support the title application with a photograph of the interior and
exterior, a weight certificate verifying the gross weight, and a Rebuilt Vehicle Statement,
Form VTR-61 explaining the alteration. The make, year model, and vehicle identification
number should be the same as that shown on the title covering the truck, truck-tractor or
bus.
Note: When the certificate of title is issued for this type of vehicle, the notation
“Reconstructed” appears."" quote off

Once you get it titled as an RV "reconstructed MH" you will then get a regular car license plate, the vehicle inspection is easier, the yearly registration fee is much less,

If the vehicle weighs 26000lbs or less gvwr you can drive with a class C license, if it is 26001 lbs. or more you will need a class B non CDL license, I have spoke to almost 2 dozen drivers license employees and they all disagree with this even though it is in the drivers manual, I have spoke with 2 deputies and 3 city police officers and they all think that any RV regardless of the weight only requires a class C license, but the drivers manual clearly states this.
Class C vs Class B license relies upon it gvwr weight and nothing else, CDL relies upon how it is titled, if it is titled as a school bus or private bus then you need a CDL, yes you can get a class C CDL license,

The texas drivers manual clearly states on the first page of the prologue section that you are exempt from getting a CDL if you drive an RV for personal use,
quote on
""CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;
CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating,
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus""
quote off
Ignore the last line of the Class B section above, it is for CDL drivers only,

On the very same page in the prologue is clearly states that you will need a Class B depending upon the gvwr, which is basically the manufacturers recommended max weight of the vehicle including the bus, cargo and passengers, look on the plate where the vin number is for this number. Lots of buses come in at 25500 lbs and they only need a class C license.

If your vehicle has air brakes it is a separate test, not a driving test just a few quick questions with the tester in your vehicle.
Memorize the following,
Setup, engine running and wheels chocked, air at 120psi or more.
1. Push in both air valve buttons if you have two, and turn key off, then turn key to ACC, tell the examiner "cant loose more than 2psi in one minute"
2. Hold brake firmly and tell examiner " cant loose more than 3psi in a minute"
3. Pump brakes till low air warning sound comes on at 60psi.
4. Pump brakes till valves pop out at 20-40psi.
The test is now over.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Texas title and drivers license stuff

I think this is very good info but like you I have talked to half a dozen people with in the state as to how or what they are looking for to get your bus converted and I have got a different answer each and every time. Just for shits and grins.... I called back to the same official locally and talked to the same person I did pervious (yet months later) and got a totally different answer. I have no doubt that what you have posted will make things go smoother but I think it boils down to who you deal with and what kind of a day they are having?

It has been to my understanding that the only reason to get a class be was for the passenger endorsement? I know my local school district has signs trying to hire bus drivers mentions you will need a class b license.

I am going to copy this info and load up when I am ready to retitle my bus. It is currently titled as a private bus but would like to get it changed to a motor home. I don't think it matters to GMAC or what ever their name is now matters when it comes to the cost of insuring but I cant help but think that the license would be cheaper?

Good job on the info.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Almost There

remember their is a class-b non cdl drivers license, their is also a class-b cdl license,
the non cdl is for an rv thats gvwr is 26001 lbs or more,
the class b cdl is for passengers or driving a 26001 or over truck for work,

it is cheaper to get the class-b non cdl license, just one written test and a simple driving test,
it is also cheaper to register the bus as a mobile home than as a private bus,
Old 01-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

BUBB

Can you register a bus as a mobile home? How does one go about doing that and how and what do you tell your insurance company?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Almost There

I have gmac insurance, they did not seem to care if it was titled as a school bus or a RV, I told them it was a used school bus,
It is important to get the insurance if you need to drive it anywhere.
What state are you in?

I think your priority is to go to the tax assessors office (web site) and get it retitled as an RV/MH, find the regulation in your state to change it to a RV/MH, you will need to bring a copy of the regs with you and have a web link to give to the tax assessor since the people you talk to will probably have never done the paperwork themselves to retitle a school bus.
Dont even talk to the drivers license people about what they think about its title, they dont matter yet,

Once you have it retitled then you get the drivers license, this is when you look at the drivers license regulation to see what type of license you need, you will not need a full CDL license but you probably need a higher class license than what is needed for a regular car especially if your buses gvwr is 26000 lbs or more, but your states regulations may vary a little from my state which is Texas,

I worry about those with the wrong drivers license for their bus and those that dont change the title away from school bus, if you get in a wreck the insurance company may choose to investigate the technical legalities of your drivers license and if you are not following the states regulations they will not pay the claim, this is also when the police may investigate and determine you are at fault and possible give you more than just a traffic ticket,
Old 01-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I am also in TX.

I guess I miss read your statement..... as mobile home (as in trailer house) and not MOTOR home. Sorry about that.

The bus has not been transferred in to my name... which I need to do but have not yet due to school and money but that seems to be changing now. Its being worked on so theres no real need to hurry and get this done since we are not ready for the road.

Its currently titled as a private bus so Im not sure if its going to cost more to license it that way or if a MH would be cheaper. But the plan is to get it changed to MH regaurdless.

I am wondering if you change youe drivers license if you get slammed like guys with full CDL do ? meaning they have points against them even when they get tickets in no cdl vehicles? I also know they have a lower level of when it comes to DWI......not really on my plans to do but again just another reason not to drink and drive.

But I get what your saying on insurance companies doing their home work to slam you if you are not properly licensed.....

Good info
Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Almost There

when you get it finished the new bus title will read remanufactured MH, when I write I say rv/mh and other stuff for no particular reason,
It is possible for about 10 bucks to get a title only, it means just getting the name changed so you are the owner, it will not change its school bus/private bus status and it does not need to be registered or insured, I did it early just to make sure their was not some problem with the title, like it was stolen or totaled.

I "think" a MH is cheaper to title than a private bus, I know it is much cheaper to get it registered/tags as a MH, you will save about 400 per year on the registration by having it as a MH

TX DMV Motor vehicle title manual section 14.16, tell them to look here on how to process your paperwork at the tax assessors office,

To get it titled as a MH you need to show up to the tax assessors office with a form filled out VTR-51, recent weight certificate, proof of insurance,several outside and inside pictures of the bus, it needs to look like an RV in the pictures, you pay the fee and it is done,
FYI, you don't need to bring the bus to them for the re-titling, they NEVER inspect the bus to make sure it fits the pictures.

I now have a class B non-cdl license, I asked them about tickets, it is no different than the normal class C license, driving a class B non-cdl will not change anything as far as tickets or dwi,

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I looked in to just getting it transferred in to my name with out a reclassification with them at the tax assessor. They said I will have to bring in the plates and registration sticker in so it will be more or less rendered useless to drive period. I wasn't real comfortable with this cause... Well Id rather get a ticket for expired stuff than to not have any at all?

I plan on having the bus reclassified as a MH but will have to wait some. There are a few things I need to get done for it to pass inspection.....as well as getting road ready. I don't really want to pay the insurance on it for it to continue to sit. I am in the middle of trying to insulate it as well as getting it ready to wire up for power. I know I can drop the insurance and pick it up as needed but I am a ways away for it to be road ready.

I think when I am ready to pull the trigger I may "borrow" some pics from peoples builds on here so there will be no questions as to if it is or is not a MH. I think when I insure it.... go get it weighed on a scale, as well as have all the paper work done so the process will be with out a hitch.

I think you have done your homework. I think this is very valueable info and people in TX need to really use this thread to their advantage.