Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #21

Year: 78
Coachwork: my work
Chassis: international
Engine: 290 cummins
Re: The Washington state scoop...

so after awile looking into this i just went down to the dmv and told them what had and they said that will be 180 bucks and that was it .Now i'm a motor home. hmm lol

Crash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash1
so after awile looking into this i just went down to the dmv and told them what had and they said that will be 180 bucks and that was it .Now i'm a motor home. hmm lol
cool now you don't need a cdl

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: dunno
Chassis: na
Engine: na

yea washington is a nanny state. We have laws for the laws and laws for those too. If u wipe your butt incorrectly they either tax you or you're breaking some law. I been going to the same liscensing place for 10 years because they lookout for the little guy and tell me I need to get the original owners' "signature".. is he outside in the car? wink wink...love them. I'm getting my shorty registered monday dont think I'll have a problem..
willz0072002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins8.3 Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 72

I went in and told them "I want to register this bus as an RV," they responded, "give us money."
King County, Vashon Island.
Licensing places vary a great deal, even in the same county, or city. There's one in the U district in Seattle that helps you with subtle "wink wink" questions...
https://thesuper8.bandcamp.com/
willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Benton County < WA
Yup, did it today. No inspection required, they did not even see the bus, but had to provide notarized affidavid (their form) showing that it is NOT being used for commercial, and that it has a bed, tank (waste) and permanant cooking device.
Sales tax on what I paid for it, blah blah fees, and $360 later, new plates and registered as Motorhome... Only weird stipulation is that I am required to "display" a sign, visible to law enforcement, that it is "NOT FOR HIRE... that was it. I did it in B.C. cuz it was close... though I live in Walla Walla County... like Chamo Bus

Auto Licensing Tri-Cities
3400 W Clearwater Ave, Kennewick, WA 99336

(509) 736-3926
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmylc
...good to hear ya got it done without to much hassle

the "not for hire" part is a little odd ... hmmz
Yeah... Maybe "No Trespassing" sign would work as well, or "Private" just at the door''..
Or "Mermaids welcome, Seashells Optional"..
Appreciate all your help... just had to go to the right person, everywhere was different.. Imagine that!
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Studebaker
Engine: 259 Stude
Rated Cap: 48

Thanks for all the tips!!!
My bus came from the SanFran Bay area where she is titled as a 'housecar' so hopefully it'll be a snap.

Being in Whatcom County I am expecting the worst, but not being in Bellingham might help me!!!

She's got no restroom. But there is a sink, a wastetank, a stovetop, an icebox and a bed.
She is also not currently running driving or stopping, so I'm a bit worried about having to get her on a scale...
StudeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Update... I recently got my bus titled as a motor home... Cost me $320... I did the inspection thru the state patrol on 112th and Portland in Spanaway... There was a 6 week waiting list... They wanted most things an RV has and not temp stuff like camp stove and such...

Here's the deal, you do need an inspection... If you go to one of the places that others had luck with out an inspection, DO NOT hand them your paper work and info... Find out first if they will simply change the classification and charge you a fee... If you give them info about your bus and yourself and they put it into the computer system and say you need an inspection, you're screwed... Once your in the system, your in...

I went to the dmv on Mountain Highway and 224th with all my paperwork, handed them everything and told them I needed to change the title and reclassify it as a motor home... They punchEd in all the info and I was ready to hand over some cash... Then I was told that it needed to be inspected... I tried to reason with then with no luck... Went to another dmv and there I was in the system and was told the sane thing...

Just an fyi for those trying to get this done... If I had just asked a few questions and found out the person I got wasn't gonna do it,I could have went to another one...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I just changed mine from a north dakota truck title to a washington state rv title with no problems at barbs auto license agency in snohomish.
The first place i called said i had to go threw all the inspections first.
I called around for a hour trying to talk with someone at the state patrol and nobody could tell me anything.
I got a call back the next day and talked to someone helpful, the inspections are not required anymore (even to transfer from out of state) but if the licensing dept. requests it they have to be done. You do need to sign a paper stating you have permanent stove,bed,toilet ect.
So as said above, if you call around first and make sure the licensing place you are going knows whats up you should be fine.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

That's the mistake I made, so many others didn't have an issue and I figured it would not be a problem... If I had called around instead, I may have gotten away without an inspection... Once your in the system and there's notes you could be screwed like I was... It's all good because it done and over with now and I have all the inspection, reclassification and such paperwork in my bus folder...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommassey
Benton County < WA
Yup, did it today. No inspection required, they did not even see the bus, but had to provide notarized affidavid (their form) showing that it is NOT being used for commercial, and that it has a bed, tank (waste) and permanant cooking device.
Sales tax on what I paid for it, blah blah fees, and $360 later, new plates and registered as Motorhome... Only weird stipulation is that I am required to "display" a sign, visible to law enforcement, that it is "NOT FOR HIRE... that was it. I did it in B.C. cuz it was close... though I live in Walla Walla County... like Chamo Bus

Auto Licensing Tri-Cities
3400 W Clearwater Ave, Kennewick, WA 99336

(509) 736-3926
they never said anything about the "not for hire" to me in walla walla in the spring of 08. ohh and it is CAMO-MONSTER, and i have not lived in the walla walla area for over a year, i live in the omak, wa. area now.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
Update... I recently got my bus titled as a motor home... Cost me $320... I did the inspection thru the state patrol on 112th and Portland in Spanaway... There was a 6 week waiting list... They wanted most things an RV has and not temp stuff like camp stove and such...

Here's the deal, you do need an inspection... If you go to one of the places that others had luck with out an inspection, DO NOT hand them your paper work and info... Find out first if they will simply change the classification and charge you a fee... If you give them info about your bus and yourself and they put it into the computer system and say you need an inspection, you're screwed... Once your in the system, your in...

I went to the dmv on Mountain Highway and 224th with all my paperwork, handed them everything and told them I needed to change the title and reclassify it as a motor home... They punchEd in all the info and I was ready to hand over some cash... Then I was told that it needed to be inspected... I tried to reason with then with no luck... Went to another dmv and there I was in the system and was told the sane thing...

Just an fyi for those trying to get this done... If I had just asked a few questions and found out the person I got wasn't gonna do it,I could have went to another one...

thats cause your on the west side of the state! and they are @$$ wholes over there

Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
That's the mistake I made, so many others didn't have an issue and I figured it would not be a problem... If I had called around instead, I may have gotten away without an inspection... Once your in the system and there's notes you could be screwed like I was... It's all good because it done and over with now and I have all the inspection, reclassification and such paperwork in my bus folder...
well in walla walla you only have one place that you can go to and that is the county court house to transfer titles and get plates.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBbus View Post
No you don't need a CDL to drive a RV no matter how long, heavy... it is. However for those of us who have CDLs watching some of those people driving LARGE Rvs without a CDL is very hard to take, cause they don't know what they are doing and can be very dangerous. I would venture to guess most everbody here knows how to drive these magines though. Anyway, you can have a regular drivers license and get you air brake endorsement, it's worth it, believe me. There is nothing like having your air brakes go out while driving, having the endorsement and knowing what to do in every situation is valuable!
I have mixed feelings here. I put 250k+ miles on a rig that grossed 45k+ and was 63' long. No accidents or issues. I prefer not to have a CDL but I do take steps, including paid drivers training, to understand the equipment that I am operating.

That said... When I lived in AZ I saw way too many folks that could not navigate a parking lot in their 5th wheel hitch equipped 3/4 ton pickup.

If you cannot manage the pickup by itself then what the F are you doing pulling a 30-40 foot trailer?

Just my $0.02 worth...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Sorry,

that got me off topic... We went to the nearest licensing office and got the "inspection" run around.

I called around and found a place in Snohomish that handled our title transfer and registration without inspection.

$388 later I have a titled and registered RV.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have mixed feelings here. I put 250k+ miles on a rig that grossed 45k+ and was 63' long. No accidents or issues. I prefer not to have a CDL but I do take steps, including paid drivers training, to understand the equipment that I am operating.

That said... When I lived in AZ I saw way too many folks that could not navigate a parking lot in their 5th wheel hitch equipped 3/4 ton pickup.

If you cannot manage the pickup by itself then what the F are you doing pulling a 30-40 foot trailer?

Just my $0.02 worth...
I travel between florida and ohio often... sometimes a dozen times a year or more.. its a rare time that I DONT see an RV or travel trailer dumped or jacked on rt 75 or rt 95... now I have only ever seen a couple of these accidents happen in person so i haveno idea the cause of the rest of them.. was it car drivers being dumb and cutting them off.. or was it the RV driver beinf dumb?

ive been blown by big rigs going 80 that some would say are unsafe yet they are staying inside their white lines ..and ive been blown by RV;s and about get clipped because they are going too fast for their rig or for their driving skill...

a lot of it has to do with driving the rig in a manner that matches your skill level to drive it... theres many reasons why i dont run my bus at its max speed of 68... one of them being I know I dont have high amount of experience in the saddle... so I drive slower.. i can hang out in the right lane and traffic can go by if needbe.. if I run at 68 and its windy out.. my bus gets to be a little more of a handful and i feel i dont have the complete control over it like i do at 55-60...

sometimes people need to quit being in so much of a hurry.. esp when its an RV!! RV - Vacation - Relax!! I get why big riggers roll wheels hard... the system is messed up and they arent getting paid when they are going slow or stuck in traffic etc...

and im sure we can all point out big riggers whou shouldnt be going 80... but the majority of the time I spend on the road the big riggers arent who im worrying about.. but alot of the RV drivers are.. not all.. ive had plenty go by me that are in complete control of their rig...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote