Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1753
Engine: V8 6.9L
Title Issue

So We Got Our Bus From A Private Seller Who Didnt Sign The Title Over From The Person He Got It From. The Seller He Got It From Signed The Title At The Bottom Where It Says “Signature Of Seller”. We Also Have A Bill Of Sale From The Guy We Got It From.

What Should We Do?

NfiniteMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
I would grab a pen and have the bottom match the top.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Don’t Know What You Mean?!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Skoolie

As long as you have the title and 'somebody' signed it that's all the dmv cares about. If the bill of sale doesn't match (and you're worried about it) just say it was a gift and be done with it.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

So Just Sign It And Run With It?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Skoolie

Unless you're gonna rat on yourself... Yup
Old 02-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepudo View Post
As long as you have the title and 'somebody' signed it that's all the dmv cares about. If the bill of sale doesn't match (and you're worried about it) just say it was a gift and be done with it.
I think this depends on the state. I got title-jumped like this on my bus; the guy who sold the bus to me bought it from a school system in 2015 but never retitled or registered it, so he just gave me the original signed-over title from that transaction, with no date filled in (fortunately). I filled in the date of my purchase and got the new PA title with no problem.

The potential problem here was that PA sometimes audits a retitling in order to ensure that the claimed sale price was the actual sale price (otherwise it's too easy to lie about the price and reduce the tax paid). If you're audited here, you need to produce a Bill of Sale. I never even got a BOS from my seller (fortunately I was never audited), but if you do get audited and the name on the BOS does not match the name on the signed-over title, that could potentially be a big problem.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NfiniteMile View Post
So We Got Our Bus From A Private Seller Who Didnt Sign The Title Over From The Person He Got It From. The Seller He Got It From Signed The Title At The Bottom Where It Says “Signature Of Seller”. We Also Have A Bill Of Sale From The Guy We Got It From.

What Should We Do?
Oh god, here we go again.

Google title jumping. That's what happened, and it's happened on here a few times. Just recently between two members on here.

It's illegal for someone to do. The buyer isn't the one breaking the law, the middle man who you bought it off of is, and I've seen times where vehicles and cash was seized because of it.

My opinion is that if the seller's name isn't on the title, I'm not buying. I don't need that headache and I definitely don't need property taken.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NfiniteMile View Post

What Should We Do?
Law's different in every state. California, (I believe) in YOUR example would charge you both the previous owners unpaid sales tax and your sales tax... (I don't know what MO does, you could ask --call from a pay phone...)

You say "unfair", the STATE says "so what?" AND pay this amt IF you want a title...

You have proof of ownership...

Make out a bill of sale from the name on the title... (You're just printing up a document -- I'm not telling you to sign someone else's name...) to you with the buses vin on it and your purchase price. The State is then getting as much sales tax as it needs...

Be glad you're not in OH. My situation, the bus I was given could't be titled in OH. I could cry, piss & moan about OH having unreasonable regulations but the fact is Ohio simply doesn't care about old iron without cookie cutter clear paperwork...
If not for Vermont allowing out-of-state registration my bus would be scrap metal -- illegal scrap metal at that -- still need a title to legally junk a vehicle...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Bus Geek

yes nice thing about our state sovereignty system, just "legally relocate" to a friendlier jurisdiction
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote