Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Engine: 6.9L IDI, International
Title, Registration, and Insurance BEFORE converting

Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few days searching this site and some skoolie facebook pages for advice and haven't found a real concrete answer, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

I recently bought a bus in Idaho (where I am living for work at the moment). My drivers license is from Florida. I need to register and insure my bus so I can drive it to shops and possibly to move for work again.

What should I title/register/insure it as, should I do that in my home state or in my current state, and what insurance agency/agencies are my best bet?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Tricky during the procedure. While it is a bus with seats in it (for16 or more), it will be registered as a bus. You will need a "Commercial for personal use" policy during the build out, as many insurance companies will not insure it as a bus, but will once the RV/MH conversion has been completed. Do a search, there are many active threads on the issues of insuring our Skoolies.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Tricky during the procedure. While it is a bus with seats in it (for16 or more), it will be registered as a bus. You will need a "Commercial for personal use" policy during the build out, as many insurance companies will not insure it as a bus, but will once the RV/MH conversion has been completed. Do a search, there are many active threads on the issues of insuring our Skoolies.
Does it matter what I register it as or what the title is for?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few days searching this site and some skoolie facebook pages for advice and haven't found a real concrete answer, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

I recently bought a bus in Idaho (where I am living for work at the moment). My drivers license is from Florida. I need to register and insure my bus so I can drive it to shops and possibly to move for work again.

What should I title/register/insure it as, should I do that in my home state or in my current state, and what insurance agency/agencies are my best bet?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Where to register/insure depends on where you live/license and registration rules. Since all the states are different, I'd start by checking with FL and ID motor vehicle departments. Then check trustedchoice.com for whichever state and see if anyone has National General.

VA for example, most of the carriers have a limit to the time a vehicle is garaged out of state before it's ineligible for coverage.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
Where to register/insure depends on where you live/license and registration rules. Since all the states are different, I'd start by checking with FL and ID motor vehicle departments. Then check trustedchoice.com for whichever state and see if anyone has National General.

VA for example, most of the carriers have a limit to the time a vehicle is garaged out of state before it's ineligible for coverage.
Any suggestions for what to say or what not to say? I've seen some people say that you shouldn't volunteer that you are converting the school bus because not everyone is on board with that.
Does it make much difference what its titled or registered as?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Any suggestions for what to say or what not to say? I've seen some people say that you shouldn't volunteer that you are converting the school bus because not everyone is on board with that.
Your insurance will be based on what the title says it is. You have to meet certain requirements for different designations. You can't just tell DMV that it's something it's not. You can't call it an RV without 4 of 6 requirements. You can't call it a motorhome with seating for 77. Some here have tried to make us believe they walked in called it this and they just changed the title to it. I don't believe it, and if it did happen it was due to negligence in the DMV and may come back to bike you in the arse when your insurance company finds out it is not what you claim.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
I'm an agent, I want you to tell me as much as possible so I can find you a policy that will cover you. The last thing I want is you to have a claim and to be denied. In my experience in VA what it is titled/registered as is unimportant.

If you were calling me for a VA quote, I'd ask what you've done to the bus so far, what your plans are, how many seats are left, what you're using the bus for. If you have a valid commercial use for it, we could do a commercial auto policy. Commercial for Personal Use isn't valid in VA, I don't know if other states are still doing that but I keep seeing it suggested on the forum here. If you're just getting started and are going to convert it then I'd do an under conversion rv quote.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Your insurance will be based on what the title says it is. You have to meet certain requirements for different designations. You can't just tell DMV that it's something it's not. You can't call it an RV without 4 of 6 requirements. You can't call it a motorhome with seating for 77. Some here have tried to make us believe they walked in called it this and they just changed the title to it. I don't believe it, and if it did happen it was due to negligence in the DMV and may come back to bike you in the arse when your insurance company finds out it is not what you claim.
I've read though that you need a CDL to drive it unless its registered as an RV. There is so much conflicting information out there haha this is all super difficult because of it.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm an agent, I want you to tell me as much as possible so I can find you a policy that will cover you. The last thing I want is you to have a claim and to be denied. In my experience in VA what it is titled/registered as is unimportant.

If you were calling me for a VA quote, I'd ask what you've done to the bus so far, what your plans are, how many seats are left, what you're using the bus for. If you have a valid commercial use for it, we could do a commercial auto policy. Commercial for Personal Use isn't valid in VA, I don't know if other states are still doing that but I keep seeing it suggested on the forum here. If you're just getting started and are going to convert it then I'd do an under conversion rv quote.
So, when I go to call an insurance agency, would it be helpful to ask for an "under conversion RV quote"? Or what should I lead with when calling an insurance company? I've only tried one so far (geico) because I have my car insured through them and they are a no go.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
So, when I go to call an insurance agency, would it be helpful to ask for an "under conversion RV quote"? Or what should I lead with when calling an insurance company? I've only tried one so far (geico) because I have my car insured through them and they are a no go.

Figure out which state you need to be insured in, and then try an independent agent. Tell them you've got a bus you're converting to an rv and you've heard from an out of state agent that National General will look at them in certain states and get them to check on it for you. Or see if you can get a quote directly from National General.

There's another agent in another state on here that is captive to Liberty Mutual who will do them in their state, so you might try a Liberty Mutual agent as well.

A captive agent will only have one company (these are your State Farms, Farm Bureau, Allstate, etc), where an independent agent will have multiple carriers they write with. Our agency has 8 that do home and auto, and then 3-4 each that either do auto or home only. This way we can check your quote with all of them and figure out which is the best for you.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Figure out which state you need to be insured in, and then try an independent agent. Tell them you've got a bus you're converting to an rv and you've heard from an out of state agent that National General will look at them in certain states and get them to check on it for you. Or see if you can get a quote directly from National General.

There's another agent in another state on here that is captive to Liberty Mutual who will do them in their state, so you might try a Liberty Mutual agent as well.

A captive agent will only have one company (these are your State Farms, Farm Bureau, Allstate, etc), where an independent agent will have multiple carriers they write with. Our agency has 8 that do home and auto, and then 3-4 each that either do auto or home only. This way we can check your quote with all of them and figure out which is the best for you.
Thank you! That is really helpful advice!

How would I determine what state I need to be insured in. Isn't that typically just whatever state you have a drivers license in? Especially being that part of the ideal of having a skoolie is to travel so you really don't have a "home base" other than what it says on your DL?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've read though that you need a CDL to drive it unless its registered as an RV. There is so much conflicting information out there haha this is all super difficult because of it.
If you are not using it for business you don't usually need a CDL. Make sure it doesn't have seating for 16 or more and you don't need a CDL in most states. It can still be a bus without seats, and no CDL would be needed.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If you are not using it for business you don't usually need a CDL. Make sure it doesn't have seating for 16 or more and you don't need a CDL in most states. It can still be a bus without seats, and no CDL would be needed.
Ok perfect! Thank you!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Thank you! That is really helpful advice!

How would I determine what state I need to be insured in. Isn't that typically just whatever state you have a drivers license in? Especially being that part of the ideal of having a skoolie is to travel so you really don't have a "home base" other than what it says on your DL?
I've had Progressive tell me to get an insured to get a quote in the state the vehicle is in the most. Generally speaking you should have your vehicle registered/insured in your residence state, so probably FL if you're licensed there. But if you are in other states for a certain amount of time you might be over the limit that is built into most insurance policies.

I'd start with FL since you're licensed there, talk to an agent them them what's going on, where you are and for how long/why and then see what they come back with.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ok perfect! Thank you!
I said most states. Don't know what state you're from because you haven't filled out your profile in the UserCP (upper left). Illinois makes you have a CDL for an RV.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Your going to get conflicting information because each state is apparently significantly different in terms of what is allowed and what the rules are... I have also found out the the costs vary wildly for the insurance when you are able to get it... I have seen some people cover the bus for a few hundred dollars while others it costs thousands for similar insurance.

I would suggest that you should be very careful to get the information that applies to your state and not give too much attention from details from another state.
Thomas810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66
Farm Bureau

Call your local Farm Bureau agent. I tried several different companies and none of them would do anything the second they understood that it was a bus. Farm Bureau had no issue with it, and no requirements other than I had to have my car insured with them as well. The insurance adjuster did check up about a month later wanting pictures proving it no longer had logos, stop sign, etc.

Registration, here in UT they went ahead and registered it as an RV without needing any proof of anything. They needed to know the weight off of the vehicle info plates, and I was charged a weight based fee.

Cost has been minimal overall.
Panoman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #18

Insurance, registration

not all states have the same rules, Texas wouldn't classify mine as a Commercial for personal use", it stayed a Commercial vehicle until i did the min requirements for Texas to be considered a (MH, RV, Passenger vehicle), but in Texas they are called Passenger vehicles at least that's what the registration says but i am told the title will same something different.
As for Insurance, It was hard to find insurance in Texas because it was a Bus, I now have it through Progressive (Hey Flo)
Coolbreezetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #19

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Self
Chassis: Thomas Built
Engine: Cat
Rated Cap: 60
Thumbs insurance

I live in Los Angeles CA and have converted a school bus into a mobile computer lab I use Thum Insurance. They are located in Grand Rapids Missouri and they have found me a combination of insurance companies that will cover my vehicle and yes you do have to let them know exactly what you are building it out to so they can find the correct Insurance company (they are brokers). The last thing you want to do is have an inaccurate description of your vehicle to the insurance company, file a claim to have it denied. They will give you all the information regarding where you should insured and options for the build-out location I have attached an image of the business card with all of that contact info give him a call, mention ComputerWorks Global.
Attached Thumbnails
15337639609535958178344001660459.jpg  
zimarm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I have a short bus it's a dually, that they notary title that has a truck and I called an independent agent who then went through Progressive to give me an insurance policy for the truck. Once the conversion is done you have to get it inspected at an enhanced inspection station who sends photos to PennDOT. If it meets all the requirements PennDOT retitled it as an RV and then you'll have to change your insurance policy. The notary that I was at did a lot of business with the guy selling the buses he got all of them from the school and then resold them. Short bus with Single wheels on the back can be titled as a station wagon and then it's cheaper. The good thing about having it retitled as an RV is that you can get RV AAA. Good luck
Hott76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please, insurance, pre conversion, registration, title