Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Check off, after verifying it has been converted. Don't fall into the trap of getting the DMV to classify it and register it as an RV without a conversion. You'll play hell getting it insured as such.
Most insurance companies are not concerned how it is registered.

I have registered and titled three buses as RVs immediately upon purchase. Insuring them as commercial for personal until I get to where I meet their requirements for RV insurance and switch.

I did have to send pictures to show that I had removed the seats.

Thing do vary quite a bit between different states and insurance carriers

Marc and I have both had good success with the same carrier but requirements for getting it through underwriting have proved to be different.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
If that's the case, why isn't everyione flocking to Fla. for registration?
idk man. i provided all the info though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
idk man. i provided all the info though.
Do the insurance companies accept it as an RV with only one feature? I know you have no experience registering a converted bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Do the insurance companies accept it as an RV with only one feature? I know you have no experience registering a converted bus.
The insurance companies don't even care what its registered as at all. I've done it both ways- BU and MH.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The insurance companies don't even care what its registered as at all. I've done it both ways- BU and MH.
I know they don't care about registration, but what about conversion requirements?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
I know they don't care about registration, but what about conversion requirements?
They only care about the money making it to them on time.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
This is an ongoing saga for me... The legal fuzz has taken me longer than the conversion at this point and I'm still not insured. Problem has mostly been the fact its still in conversion... About to give it another shot as I really don't have a lot left to do at this point.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonLady View Post
In NC, you just call the tag office and they send a guy out to check you off as an RV, and you get a new title in the mail saying it's an RV.

I need insurance now. I'd like to get it ASAP, but I'm afraid ill have to wait for new title.

I live in Asheville and I am going to buy a bus to convert. I want to live in it and travel as I convert it. So we can't just go title it as an RV until it is converted? What has happened so far?

Char
charolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Most insurance companies are not concerned how it is registered.

I have registered and titled three buses as RVs immediately upon purchase. Insuring them as commercial for personal until I get to where I meet their requirements for RV insurance and switch.

I did have to send pictures to show that I had removed the seats.

Thing do vary quite a bit between different states and insurance carriers

Marc and I have both had good success with the same carrier but requirements for getting it through underwriting have proved to be different.
Do you have a CDL to drive the bus since you are insuring it as commercial for personal? I don't have a CDL but want to travel while I convert it. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolette View Post
Do you have a CDL to drive the bus since you are insuring it as commercial for personal? I don't have a CDL but want to travel while I convert it. Thoughts?
If it has air brakes and registered and commercial then you would need a CDL to be legal.....
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:41 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Chevy
Arrow

Quote:
Don't get a big huge bus or a bus with air brakes or you will have to get a CDL. I have a short 4 window bus, fits in a parking space, and I do not have to have a CDL to drive it. No air brakes. It has to do with weight/type of brakes mainly. I'm not sure what kind of bus you're convertig, but I'm also in Asheville if you would like to meet up and see mine for any ideas or to talk.

as far as re-titiling, I've learned that NC has a list of 7 things, and you've got to complete 4 of them to get checked as an RV. The tag office sends and inspector, they come to your house and he sends off for one for you if you pass. The appointment is quick, they come out pretty fast.

Short answer id NO... you cannot drive and convert it, you've got to convert it first. It's not too hard to get the 4 out of 7 things off the list, the list is not intimidating at all.
- Spoon Lady
SpoonLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Don't get a big huge bus or a bus with air brakes or you will have to get a CDL. I have a short 4 window bus, fits in a parking space, and I do not have to have a CDL to drive it. No air brakes. It has to do with weight/type of brakes mainly. I'm not sure what kind of bus you're convertig, but I'm also in Asheville if you would like to meet up and see mine for any ideas or to talk.

- Spoon Lady
I would very much like to meet up and see yours and talk. I am still trying to figure out what size to get. I was originally thinking a larger bus to have more room but now a smaller bus seems just as practical and maybe an even better choice.

Charolette
Old 10-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Needing a cdl (commercail drivers license) license for a bus is based on number of people. 15 passengers and one driver is the limit without cdl, anything more then that requires cdl. Please note this is the rated capacity not who is actually on board. Of course once converted and registered as a motorhome/RV then cdl does not apply even if you have air brakes. Now some states do require an air brake endorsement to your license for an rv.

For those not aware CDL is a federal law
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #34

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/no...es-9866-2.html

found this
Old 10-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
So I have a small bus, a 2000 GMC 4 window tiny thing. It's title is clearly listed as a BUS. When I call for insurance I can't get anyone to give me any kind of quote for anything but commercial. -- should I be going to the DMV first (I'm in North Carolina/Asheville) and seeing about the title change before insurance? I guess I'm just feeling a little lost and if someone could explain this to me like I'm 2 that would be great.
Abby the Spoon Lady
I don't know what your insurance needs are but here is how Ruth and I handled this sticky wicket. We desired to meet the state minimum requirements for new Mexico and found no one willing to insure our bus conversion in our state. Progressive told us that they would happily insure us as a commercial vehicle for personal use for about 350 per year. We titled in New Mexico but registered in VT. I know a bit funny, but New Mexico doesn't pressure us to register here and VT let us call it a truck.
Good luck and we're looking forward to learning from your journey.
Rock N Ruth
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #36

Year: 1985
Chassis: GMC Vandura
Engine: 5.7 Chevy 350
Rated Cap: 9,600
I have a 1985 GMC Skoolie (18 ft) registered as a commercial vehicle. I’m in California. AAA insured me no problem as a passenger vehicle after their adjuster looked in it and saw I was converting it to an rv. I had to physically take it to the AAA office. Price is good too
bobsharits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
It varies from state to state.

Here in Washington State if it is registered as anything EXCEPT an RV you will need a CDL if it has a GVRW of over 26,000 pounds or if it will seat 16 or more. Most states that exempt RV's from the CDL requirement.

That is why I immediately tittle and register my buses as RV's. No CDL required and much cheaper annual registration fees.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:

as far as re-titiling, I've learned that NC has a list of 7 things, and you've got to complete 4 of them to get checked as an RV. The tag office sends and inspector, they come to your house and he sends off for one for you if you pass. The appointment is quick, they come out pretty fast.

Short answer id NO... you cannot drive and convert it, you've got to convert it first. It's not too hard to get the 4 out of 7 things off the list, the list is not intimidating at all.
- Spoon Lady
I don't know the specifics regarding the CDL requirements in Kansas. I will have to figure it out though I just bought a house about 90 minutes from Wichita

Most states exempt RV's from the CDL requirement. if you are able to title and register it as an RV you avoid the CDL. I have not run across a state that requires a CDL just for air brakes. If memory serves me, Texas and British Columbia require an endorsement on your regular license for air brakes.

I am mid conversion on my Bluebird. I drive it regularly. It's not good to have them sit too long. Plus.... It's a blast to drive
Old 10-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

My $0.02 from NY State

I have two short buses registered and insured in NY. At DMV, I had to show them a photo to prove that most of the seats had been removed, then they allowed me to register it as a private use van. If you remove too many seats, it becomes commercial. I had to try a few insurance companies but Allstate insures them as vans based on the original chassis. I think I pay about $650/yr each with collision.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry to jump in on a thread towards the end, but I now have new questions regarding CDL in Pennsylvania.

I'm planning to purchase a bus once I find the right one. I prefer one of the larger pusher-style buses and most if not all of them come with air brakes. I was planning to register it as an RV in Pennsylvania by using the method in another thread of using the PA MV-41 form to correct the title to RV.

If the vehicle is titled as an RV legally, but still prior to conversion, would a CDL still be required to drive it legally in PA? I really just want to bring it back home to begin working on it and converting it to a true RV, but I don't want to do it illegally. I have no problem with the idea of getting commercial-for-personal-use insurance on the vehicle, but I don't have a CDL and prefer not to get one unless absolutely necessary.

Mike in Pittsburgh, PA
Hengy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina, registration, tags, title

« Cdl | Fuel card »