Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Hello. I just finished this process successfully in Potter County TX. Our tax office manager is a real ball buster so if there was any grief to hand out, I would have suffered the full measure.

I handed the tax officer the existing title, the rebuild VTR-61, the VTR-130U, current prof of insurance, bill of sale, drivers license, a half dozen photocopied pictures of the bus interior. I didn't volunteer any extra info on the VTR-61. They nailed me to the wall for not registering my bus for the two years it took me to convert it. He was interested in the odometer reading photo and compared it to the original Bill Of Sale.

All went A-OK, except the hefty fine. Just received the MH title in the mail. Took about two weeks to receive that new title.

Good luck.
Mike
What kind of hefty fine did you receive?

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Thought I would jump in this conversation for my 2cents worth. Just got mine insured as a private bus with State Farm for $37.00 a month / full coverage. It is titled as a bus. The DMV gave me some forms to title it as a MH. Seems like a lot of hassle to change it over. I will say though that a couple of years ago the Texas DMV on their own just arbitrarily started revoking titles to our street legal Dune buggies in the state. Wanted all owners to send their titles to the state. Well you can imagine what kind of $hit storm that started. Long story short, it took two years to have a law passed to reinstate our titles to make them street legal again. A real cluster !! Do not be surprised that the state could do the same to our builds. All in the name of safety.
So i can just get title transfered and registered as a bus an just get minimum liability insurance no problem?
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
better safe than as sorry as some of the bus builds I see.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slider View Post
So i can just get title transfered and registered as a bus an just get minimum liability insurance no problem?
It seems that every DMV around the country has its on rules & regulations. The States have their laws & guidelines, but whoever you get at said DMV’s, somewhat make up their own. Nothing against the folks working at these places, they’re doing the best they can dealing with the insane Bureaucrats that hand these laws & regs down. I had no problems with my inspection, titling, registration & insurance here in south Texas. In all fairness, my bus was almost complete before I did all those things
Old 07-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

The insurance for all state changed here in TX. It changed June 7th with all state and the premiums went up. I think the underwriting company changed or something, before conversion are like 100-200 a month. SMH. lol. Guess ima convert it fast. haha.

But once converted and can show pics, (no RV titling necessary) they just want to see pics it has been converted, the premium goes down 38%.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slider View Post
The insurance for all state changed here in TX. It changed June 7th with all state and the premiums went up. I think the underwriting company changed or something, before conversion are like 100-200 a month. SMH. lol. Guess ima convert it fast. haha.

But once converted and can show pics, (no RV titling necessary) they just want to see pics it has been converted, the premium goes down 38%.
Wow, that still seems way out of whack. I guess it’s to be expected though with inflation rearing it’s ugly head.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Right! Thats crazy imo, to be honest. Posted it in the other thread.. My quote was $197, as is. or $138 per month after conversion. Thats with a near perfect driving record, and slightly bad credit and im 34yo. smh!
Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #48
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 29k
Hi, i know this is an old post. But do you have any pics of the inside of your bus. Im in the process of doing something similar.

Thank you in advance, God bless
Soaringcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaringcook View Post
Hi, i know this is an old post. But do you have any pics of the inside of your bus. Im in the process of doing something similar.

Thank you in advance, God bless
Who are you asking for pics from Soaringcook?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Who are you asking for pics from Soaringcook?
They mean yours, even if they don't know it yet.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They mean yours, even if they don't know it yet.
Hahahaha. Damn your up awful early this morning !!!
Old 12-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3 L Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Hello. I just finished this process successfully in Potter County TX. Our tax office manager is a real ball buster so if there was any grief to hand out, I would have suffered the full measure.

I handed the tax officer the existing title, the rebuild VTR-61, the VTR-130U, current prof of insurance, bill of sale, drivers license, a half dozen photocopied pictures of the bus interior. I didn't volunteer any extra info on the VTR-61. They nailed me to the wall for not registering my bus for the two years it took me to convert it. He was interested in the odometer reading photo and compared it to the original Bill Of Sale.

All went A-OK, except the hefty fine. Just received the MH title in the mail. Took about two weeks to receive that new title.

Good luck.
Mike
What exactly did you write on the VTR-61? (Rebuilt vehicle statement)
texastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #53
Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastj View Post
What exactly did you write on the VTR-61? (Rebuilt vehicle statement)

Mt first reply was devoured by whatever evil prankster lurks in this site.

hello texastj

Thought I had copies of my VTR but nothing. So, from recollection, I know that I offered no more info than I had to. I declared my self as the builder and my statement was along the lines of... "I performed all work necessary to convert my schoolbus into an RV - see attached pictures"

My pictures included all 6 items on the list of components of an RV. You only need 4 but I had all 6 so I handed them a photo of each. I also included a picture of the Odometer.

The tax assessor read my statement and asked no questions about it.

If there's anything else I can help with - let me know.

Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #54
Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Fine

Quote:
What kind of hefty fine did you receive?

Sorry man I didn't see your message earlier. Just for the delinquent fine - it was $250.00 additional dollars. It cost me $676.00 to settle up with the tax man. The dude grinned as he announced the shafting I was about to receive and then said that he was cutting me a break. I said thank you sir.

I had so much anxiety built up over this registration that I would have paid a bigger fine to get the hall out of there.

In reality it was not traumatic - it was just a lesson in preparing your paperwork and being patient while they reviewed it. The guy was very thorough and professional. I really don't have a reason to bitch - other than I can.

Cheers Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #55
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Aerotech
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 6.8/415 Ford
Reconstructed is not the same as Rebuilt.

Today, I found that the Title that I'm waiting for will say "Reconstructed". So I freaked out, and went to the local Tax office where they couldn't answer my questions.
"Reconstructed" is used as a "Rebuilt" for other types of vehicles. Not Buses.

The nice and knowledgeable lady (Hello, Ms. Cynthia!)from the regional TxDMV explained to me that Reconstructed Buses are different from other vehicles.

The nice lady sent me this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	66868
https://content.govdelivery.com/atta...e%20Manual.pdf

I should have my new Title in about 2 to 3 weeks. I'll keep all this info to show to the Buyer, as I'm selling the Bus as soon as I get the Title.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Today, I found that the Title that I'm waiting for will say "Reconstructed". So I freaked out, and went to the local Tax office where they couldn't answer my questions.
"Reconstructed" is used as a "Rebuilt" for other types of vehicles. Not Buses.

The nice and knowledgeable lady (Hello, Ms. Cynthia!)from the regional TxDMV explained to me that Reconstructed Buses are different from other vehicles.

The nice lady sent me this:
Attachment 66868
https://content.govdelivery.com/atta...e%20Manual.pdf

I should have my new Title in about 2 to 3 weeks. I'll keep all this info to show to the Buyer, as I'm selling the Bus as soon as I get the Title.

I'd take a look at Brian and Erin Adventure Partners on YouTube. They titled their bus in TX as a motorhome and made no mention of any "reconstructed" brand. They did put in the minimal conversion stuff for TX .... water system, sink, bed, electrical system, cooking facilities....not sure what all but they did a "this will meet the requirement" "build" then ripped that out to do teh real build.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote