Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Towing insurance for the initial drive home?

Need some advice.

I'm picking up my short bus Saturday from southern Missouri and driving her to Colorado Springs. First I'll end up probably getting commercial insurance for the drive and then changing to commercial vehicle for personal use policy the following week through state farm. The agent I spoke with can do all that plus conversion insurance down the line. Just need Vin and later pictures of conversion. It's been impossible to do this without a VIN I've found out through any agency unless I just get standard commercial policy.

I've read tons of comments about good sam and AAA being great for the skoolies but what about for a bus right off the lot? Ill call and ask them too. But Trying to get my ducks in a row just on the off chance I DO have a major issue on that drive home. from people who've been there done that. The standard insurance companies (progressive, geico, etc) I've asked also claim they don't offer roadside assistance for commercial vehicles like that. So any info is appreciated.

littleplantaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you are currently with State Farm, your bus is insured for 7 days from purchase to get it home, even though they won't insure it as a bus.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
if you are not currently insured with State Farm, then don't.

They and their contracted roadside service company left me stranded and abonded with my bus for 24 hours.

i was two feet from the white line with large trucks rocking my bus constantly.

It took 10 phone calls to get them to dispatch a truck.

Afterwards, they did nothing to seriously deal with my experience.

Horrible!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I have used Good Sam and they have responded, even unconverted. Their customer service is good but their service providers have been slow to respond. Maybe this is due to timing, or maybe they get to it when they can based on low fees payed. I can't say. I do know that a bus doesn't fit in their boxes they check off when you call- "What make of RV do you have?" Just tell them the brand of bus (Ford E450, International, etc.) and its weight. You can talk to the tow company later and explain and they probably won't care.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote