Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM   #1

Transferring Title from Indiana to California

I’m looking to buy an already converted shuttle bus, (yes, I know, I really wanted a skoolie, but for weight reasons decided this would be a better option). The bus is already registered and titled as an RV in Indiana.

Anybody have experience with this and how difficult was it?

I’m hearing conflicting things, but not sure any of it is actually experience. Yes, I have heard that California is one of the hardest states to work with for converting a bus. But does that extend to ones already titled as an RV?

Not sure if it matters, but the buss has running water, sink and fridge. Currently only had a camp toilet, but I plan to swap that out for a composting toilet right away and also as an outdoor shower down the line.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

The engine / pollution stuff might trip you up.

But I think one state says it's an RV the next must accept that.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I can't imagine Indiana having buses as good as the ones in Cali.
Make sure its not a rust bucket. Inspect the chassis real well.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would make sure before you buy it that the conversion meets the california RV requirements.. ie toilet, sink, electric, etc..

at the very least that state seems to want to try and disqualift all older vehicles in some form or another.. RV's take a lot of exemptions but if they can see it doesnt meet one of the RV requirements I could see them saying "sorry" until you fixed whatever it needed..

id just read up a bit
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The engine / pollution stuff might trip you up.

But I think one state says it's an RV the next must accept that.
Yes, the bus is here, so I will be getting a smog check prior to purchase. My intent is to move to Oregon early next year, so not worried about any long term issues past the initial registration.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I can't imagine Indiana having buses as good as the ones in Cali.
Make sure its not a rust bucket. Inspect the chassis real well.
Of course, The sellers are aware that the bus will need to pass inspection by a mechanic and an RV expert.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I would make sure before you buy it that the conversion meets the california RV requirements.. ie toilet, sink, electric, etc..

at the very least that state seems to want to try and disqualift all older vehicles in some form or another.. RV's take a lot of exemptions but if they can see it doesnt meet one of the RV requirements I could see them saying "sorry" until you fixed whatever it needed..

id just read up a bit
From the CA Vehicle Code per DMV website:

The following vehicles are identified as housecars for registration purposes:

Motorhome—A motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters, built as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van and includes a motorhome manufactured by a licensed motorhome manufacturer.

Motorhomes must contain permanently-installed independent life support systems which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, a separate 110 to 125 volt electrical power supply and/or liquid petroleum (LP) gas supply. Van campers do not contain the permanently-installed independent life support systems identified by the ANSI for motorhomes.

Motorhomes that do not exceed 45 feet (540 inches) in overall length or 8.5 feet (102 inches) in width may be registered in California.

It currently has two burner propane stove, fridge, fresh and grey water tanks with sink, and solar set up as well as shore with 120. So I think that checks off four. And my plans would be to immediately install a composting toilet. So hopefully good on the requirements.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivona View Post
Of course, The sellers are aware that the bus will need to pass inspection by a mechanic and an RV expert.
Yeah, but YOU be aware that once its yours any problems are YOUR problems.
Good luck with everything!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If moving to Ore. in a year anyways, why not just register it by mail in Vermont and avoid the whole Calif. BS system altogether.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote