Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Trouble registering motorhome conversion in CA - can I register it as a bus?

Been getting the runaround trying to register in California, really kicking myself for not going the Vermont route right now but don't have time to wait two weeks

Bus is a 1995 Navistar Vista shortie bought in Arizona, 23 ft, 19.5k so it doesn't have to meet smog requirements at least.

Based on what I had read and researched here, it appeared that what CA required to convert a Bus title to Motor Home registration was to convert the bus, get a Vin verification, then bring the verification to DMV and hopefully get someone who knows this process.

Past skoolies had indicated they used private vin verifiers for this process and my local skoolie friend had done so as well a number of years ago, but everyone that I've contacted so far says that they won't verify a bus conversion.

CHP is booked out for weeks, on top of that one of the CHP offices said that I'm supposed to go into the DMV first and they inspect it and tell me if I need additional verification from CHP before they'll even let me book an appointment? But my understanding is that I would need vin verification regardless because it was brought in from out of state? It would be great if the DMV could handle it all there but I don't trust it to be that simple of course.

My plan is to go to the DMV Monday morning with the bus and see what I can do, but the issue is that I need plates by Friday (I know, not the best planning). If they require me to have CHP and private vin verifiers won't work, can I just register it as a private use bus in order to get plates and deal with the conversion registration at a later date? Since it's under 26k I don't think I would need a commercial license but I haven't been able to find rules as far as registering private use buses in California...

Any help/advice is appreciated!!

littlepeartree is offline   Reply With Quote