Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Cool “Truck(ish)”vs “RV”? MA/RI/VT: Title/register my shorty as a “personal vehicle?”

Registration Question! MA, RI, VT

Hi all! I’m a single mama shopping for a ~20’ boxy short bus so that my toddler and I can get out for some sometimes-full-time adventuring. Something that will fit in one generous parking space. I’m really excited to be here amongst you more experienced bus people!

I’m wondering whether a bus can be titled/registered as a regular “personal vehicle,” rather than an RV. I pay for a parking spot at my mom’s renovated mill condo building, where my daughter and I will be for up to 14 days/month, depending on the time of year. I’d have to submit the rig’s license plate to park in the spot, and I don’t think I’d be able to register the spot for an RV. I’m sure I can finagle a way to make it work, but I’m wondering if anyone has any information on why I could or could not Just treat the bus as a personal van/truck and get a regular personal plate? It would also be helpful to hear any details/pros/cons on registering this way, regarding campgrounds, national parks, seatbelts, border crossings, etc. I’m ready to pay a bit more on the insurance.

I can register in MA, RI, or VT.

Thanks for any insights you might have! So glad this group is here.

Side note: If anyone sees a potentially-good-condition Collins (or similarly square) shorty laying around somewhere with less than 130k miles on it, I wouldn’t mind a tip. ☺️

iloveyouimogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If you register the vehicle in Vermont, the tag (plate) is just a regular vehicle tag. There's nothing on it that indicates what type of vehicle it is. The transferrable registration (which is all you'll get if the vehicle is older than 15 years - no title) will have "MH" in the BODY section, but if they only ask to see the plate they'll not know that. You can also register/title the vehicle in VT as just "Auto (Car)" using the same vehicle code 19, but then you would not be able to do the easy reregistration of the vehicle as a motorhome in your home state, and you would not be able to stay anywhere that only allows motorhomes. If your mom's condo only wants to see the license plate, I think your best bet would be to register the vehicle as a motorhome.

Is "Imogene" your daughter or Imogene Heap of Frou Frou?