Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Did someone not explain to you to go to an independent insurance agent? Your quote is double or triple what a lot of us are paying.
I was merely quoting a price, it was the first place I checked for rates to get a baseline. I didn't think it was that high for full coverage. I think most people here only insure for liability. I waiting on my local agent to get back to me with bids.
You're saying you can full coverage on a $20k vehicle for $200 a year?

BTW, my trip to the tag office today was a bust. I pull in and immediately notice there are no cars in the parking lot of the court house and realize it's MLK day and a holiday, everything is closed.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That is a good price for full coverage. You have yet to have a policy in your hand for two months. I had a number of policies before one stuck.

Yes, most of us have liability because that's all we're offered. A few have better policies at even better prices for reasons we can't identify.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Wow

Wow, just got back from the local tag office questioning the requirements to register a decommissioned school bus. There were 5 requirements as follows:
1 Zip
2 Zilch
3 Nada
4 Diddly Squat
5 Zero
Yep that's right, nothing different than if I walked in with a title for my car. Well actually there is one requirement and that is it must be insured.
She started going on about having it inspected after changes, blah, blah, blah. I said there are no changes, I just want to insure my privately owned decommissioned school bus. She again said ai would "want", not need, to have it inspected to get a title for it. I said I will have a title for it when I purchase it and just want to transfer said title into my name. That's when she said nothing other than a normal transfer of ownership if that's the case. So anyone that needs an easy out is welcome to use my address to title their bus here in Ga.

I then called the insurance agency getting quotes for insuring the school bus before conversion and the receptionist said they were still checking companies to see who would quote the "conversion". I said stop doing that, State Farm will insure the conversion , but not the preconversion. I need a basic liability package for the decommissioned school bus. So still waiting on that.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #24
Bus Geek

So the insurance agent got back with me and quoted me $143/yr for liability on the unconverted school bus. He said that was a quote before giving them my pertinent info, age, SS, DOB,etc. So I gave him all that to get a hard number. he came back with #169/yr, WTF. Why did it go up? I'm 65, that should help. Have a clean driving record, no claims, etc. He didn't know why it went up, but as far as I'm concerned that price is a drop in the bucket, especially if I go on a payment plan for the months of conversion. Talking like $15/month., I'm good with that.
I told him I did get a full coverage rate from progressive for $618/yr. That's when he admitted that the rates he provided me were also from Progressive. So it looks like Progressive is the one cleaning up on insuring our buses as buses.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #25
Almost There

So we are pretty cose in buying this bus, turns out to be a 1978 MCI-8 Charter Bus partial conversion.

What types of coverages did you guys get for insurance?
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Funny - I'm reading this thread too and trying to figure out what I need to do (first bus) for a 1990 MCI 102 C that I've got my eye on - in NJ to CT.
grimmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmwerks View Post
Funny - I'm reading this thread too and trying to figure out what I need to do (first bus) for a 1990 MCI 102 C that I've got my eye on - in NJ to CT.
You'll definitely need to have your ducks in a row when dealing with DMV in Ct. They are getting too tight on everything up there.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #28
Bus Geek

In most states coaches are not looked on with the same disdain as school buses.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Just to be sure my birth mother (I'm adopted) has offered to let me park it in her driveway in NJ if I do get it so I can sort out the paperwork up here. At worst I could always take a day and take out the seats - it's already got a restroom so I could throw in a cooktop and a sleeping bag and say it follows the conditions... too nervous to drive it up here without everything together.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Top off the fluids and drive it like you stole it. Plausible deniability is your friend.

From what I understand there is not much typical about getting title and insurance in NJ.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Waiting to hear back from my brick and mortar progressive agent about the 'commercial insurance for personal use' so I can get the damn thing from Hackensack to Parsippany; unsure what the quickest / best way of getting insurance is if this guy can't provide -- and he's Progressive as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Waiting to hear back from my brick and mortar progressive agent about the 'commercial insurance for personal use' so I can get the damn thing from Hackensack to Parsippany; unsure what the quickest / best way of getting insurance is if this guy can't provide -- and he's Progressive as well.
For some reason unknown to mankind, that insurance seems easier to get if you go to Progressive Commercial ... online.

Fill in the quote request form, get a quote and a reference number and call the phone number the website gives you.

For me it was a painless 15 minute process and I had the Insurance Card in email the following day.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Oh hey - you were helping me on FB too - thanks man!
Did you have to provide VIN? Don't know it yet.

I'm gonna give Mr. Progressive til 4:30 when his office closes; if he doesn't call me by then I'll do it online.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh hey - you were helping me on FB too - thanks man!
Did you have to provide VIN? Don't know it yet.

I'm gonna give Mr. Progressive til 4:30 when his office closes; if he doesn't call me by then I'll do it online.
They won't quote without a VIN#, as that's the only identifier of the vehicle they will be covering.

Build Thread
Old 02-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #35
Bus Geek

If that fails, contact an Independent Insurance Agent asking for the same commercial policy for privte use policy. Kind of like getting your Progressive policy through the back door, and yes they'll need to know the VIN.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

That's actually what I'm attempting but this guy doesn't seem to be calling me back....spoke to him 1.5 hours ago.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
For some reason unknown to mankind, that insurance seems easier to get if you go to Progressive Commercial ... online.

Fill in the quote request form, get a quote and a reference number and call the phone number the website gives you.

For me it was a painless 15 minute process and I had the Insurance Card in email the following day.
Steve - on their website they're asking if you want Commercial Auto (Professional Liability etc etc) or another Quote (including Motor Home) -- which did you choose? It starts to ask me questions about my business.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Steve - on their website they're asking if you want Commercial Auto (Professional Liability etc etc) or another Quote (including Motor Home) -- which did you choose? It starts to ask me questions about my business.
When it asks about the business ... start typing Per ... then select "Personal Use Only"

Build Thread
Old 02-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
When it asks about the business ... start typing Per ... then select "Personal Use Only"
DUDE You saved my bacon. Sorry, but never would've found that (doofus). Thanks; now I just have to call in with the vin and I'm set.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #40
Bus Geek

And another one rides the bus!!!