Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #101

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 liter International Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Hello,
That is what I read also. Also, just an FYI, if you have not converted yet and only have a drivers license you can get a "one trip permit" to pick up and drive your bus home. It only cost $5. It is good for a week, one trip only. You have to have your route printed out and with you for the trip also.

ElspethFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #102
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
That depends on the state, many don't offer that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #103

Indiana!

Hello everyone!

I am very new to buses and we don’t even own one yet; however, a possibility has potentially presented itself and I wanted to know more info before I get more involved.

The bus we are interested in is a 1996 Thomas International registered as an RV. If we were to buy it, we would be picking it up from being shipped into Los Angeles. Neither my husband or I have any kind of special license. My questions are:

1. What type of licensure do I need to get from the state of Indiana to be able to drive an RV?
2. We will sign the title paperwork in Los Angeles. At that point, in order to drive it from Los Angeles to Indiana, if the license is obtained ahead of time, what other documentation will we need? Will we need to go to a DMV in LA?
3. I believe it's currently titled in the state of Florida. Will we need to re-title it once we bring it back to Indiana?
4. Will we be able to transport passengers in the bus? If so, how many? Is a special license necessary?

Just dreaming. Thank you very much!
funnylookingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnylookingcat View Post
1. What type of licensure do I need to get from the state of Indiana to be able to drive an RV?
2. We will sign the title paperwork in Los Angeles. At that point, in order to drive it from Los Angeles to Indiana, if the license is obtained ahead of time, what other documentation will we need? Will we need to go to a DMV in LA?
3. I believe it's currently titled in the state of Florida. Will we need to re-title it once we bring it back to Indiana?
4. Will we be able to transport passengers in the bus? If so, how many? Is a special license necessary?
1. No special license is required to drive an RV. if it's already titled/registered as that, then you're already ahead of the game.

2. Sign the title. Just make sure you have it and a bill of sale, if Indiana requires one. Some states do, others don't. The only reason you might have to hit a DMV in LA is to get a temporary tag to drive it back to Indiana. Should be fairly cheap but it IS Los Angeles.....

3. Re-title like you would any other vehicle. That will be done at registration time.

4. You can transport up to 15 passengers (including the driver). Anything beyond that requires a CDL with passenger endorsement.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #105

Wow AlleyCat, thank you so much! I appreciate the thoroughness. We are still uncertain about how far we will get in our bus-acquisition adventures, like I said we are super fresh to this, but we are looking forward to it.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #106
Bus Nut

I hear ya.... once the bug bites it doesn't wanna let go so easy.

"I got a fever... and the only prescription.... is another bus!"

(to paraphrase the SNL cowbell sketch)
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #107

Greetings,

If I was to register a School Bus with a capacity of 72 passengers as an RV would I have to get a CDL. The end goal is to be able to transport 4 people after all the renovations are complete. Does the original capacity stay with the bus or does does the newly renovated capacity determine license requirements?

And one more question how do I start my own thread?
Smood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smood View Post
Greetings,

If I was to register a School Bus with a capacity of 72 passengers as an RV would I have to get a CDL. The end goal is to be able to transport 4 people after all the renovations are complete. Does the original capacity stay with the bus or does does the newly renovated capacity determine license requirements?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/fo...sics-9889.html
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #109
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
1. No special license is required to drive an RV. if it's already titled/registered as that, then you're already ahead of the game.

2. Sign the title. Just make sure you have it and a bill of sale, if Indiana requires one. Some states do, others don't. The only reason you might have to hit a DMV in LA is to get a temporary tag to drive it back to Indiana. Should be fairly cheap but it IS Los Angeles.....

3. Re-title like you would any other vehicle. That will be done at registration time.

4. You can transport up to 15 passengers (including the driver). Anything beyond that requires a CDL with passenger endorsement.
Pretty sure you would get any temp. tag from your home state, not the purchase state.

Before purchasing, make damn sure it is a legit sale.
Titled in Florida and selling in California raises red flags to me.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #110
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Pretty sure you would get any temp. tag from your home state, not the purchase state.

Before purchasing, make damn sure it is a legit sale.
Titled in Florida and selling in California raises red flags to me.
Most states will issue temp tags to non-residents.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #111
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
When I got my Carpenter bus from a dealer they issued a Florida temp tag in an Ohio resident mostly.. the second bus I got in Texas and got a temp tag from the Texas DMV . Texas was incredibly easy I went online input the VIN. And bam printed out a temp tag online .. and off I went.

If the title is mailed to you before you pick up the bus you can often take the signed title to your home state DMV and get a temporary tag.

Another thing to mAke sure of when buying an auction bus is that the VIN plate on the bus matches the VIN on the title. Large auctions are notorious for accidentally handing out the wrong titles.. ESP if they are selling multiples of nearly identical busses.. the VIN may be similar.. when I won the auction for my Texas bus I had the auctioneer take and email me a picture of the VIN plate on the bus, then when I picked it up I made sure the title and the VIN matched .

On most international busses the VIN tag is in the body but also on the firewall .. make sure at least one is 100% legible before taking a bus home. Your home DMV will give you lots of trouble otherwise .. ESP if they have to get into looking for it in alternative locations like the frame.

Also when gutting a bus and or painting be sure not to cover or destroy those VIN tags..,or if you move to a new state you may have serious issues getting it titled and registered.. vehicle theft fraud where VINs are altered and then registered in another state as lost title are rampant, states done F around if the VIN is defaced... so be careful to take great detail in your VIN verification
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #112
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smood View Post
Greetings,

Every state is different in regard to capacity .. most states if you title as a motor home then no CDL no matter what. If it stays titled as a bus, some states go by capacity as manufactured, others by capacity as installed, for instance in Ohio I can reseat a 72 passenger bus for 14 people and be non cdl, register as type SW, station wagon, but in Michigan it can have 1 seat but still has to be registered as a CDL 72 passenger bus.. each is on its own standard..
Christopher
Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #113

Along those lines, a question from my humble beginner self: upon buying a bus still registered as a school bus, how does one transport it from the lot without a CDL? There has to be a trick to doing it
Old 11-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #114
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Either find a CDL driver, have it towed, get a "one trip" (in states that have them), or you are stuck with illegally operating a commercial vehicle (if you get caught).
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #115
Bus Geek

here is what I found... if you drive a YELLOW school bus that still says SCHOOL BUS on it across the country... TECHNICALLY in most states you are not legal... However if you drive reasonably.. not flying fast and not in hot police spots like downtowns.. then you simply blend in with the other zillion school busses going down the interstates... driving mine from texas to florida and florida to Ohio I even got waved at by the REAL school bus drivers... i got passed by numerous state patrol cars in various states and never got bothered by a single one.. more than once i was parked next to real school busses at restaraunts on my way back
-Christopher
Old 11-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #116

Where can I find the requirements for North Carolina. I tried going to the DMV website but I found nothing
Smood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #117
Bus Nut

Go to page 10 of the drivers manual:

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/h...DL_English.pdf

Most full-size skoolies will require a non-commercial class B license. You'll only need the class A if you're towing a trailer greater than 10k lbs. If your rig comes in less than 26k you can get by with the standard class C.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #118
Mini-Skoolie

How do I change Short School Bus Registration to RV in Georgia?????

I am buying a 7 window International Short School bus. What is the process in changing it's vehicle class from Bus to RV. I'm going to remove seats and make an RV with bathroom kitchen area and bed. Will also have fresh water with pump, gray water tank toilet with collection tank and rv dumping outlet. Any in will be appreciated.
Bondsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #119
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsman View Post
I am buying a 7 window International Short School bus. What is the process in changing it's vehicle class from Bus to RV. I'm going to remove seats and make an RV with bathroom kitchen area and bed. Will also have fresh water with pump, gray water tank toilet with collection tank and rv dumping outlet. Any in will be appreciated.
If its a short bus, it may be under the weight and passenger limits and thus you may not need to change the title.
I've found insurance much easier to find for a PRIVATE bus than a home built bus conversion. Depends on your state of residence a lot, too.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #120
Mini-Skoolie

I live in Georgia. That is where I will Title the bus.
Bondsman is offline   Reply With Quote