Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Unconverted Bus Insurance SUCCESS!!

Hey guys, just wanted to share my insurance success in hopes it helps someone else. I bought a full size bus last week and needed insurance. I haven't even started my conversion, not even seat removal yet.

I called Good Sam, and National General and was told both times that they will not insure an unconverted bus. Then I called Progressive Commercial based on a tip from here. I told the lady I had bought a school bus to convert to an RV and needed to insure it. She told me that they could have insured it as a commercial vehicle for personal use, if I hadn't said I planned to convert it. Once I said those words they cannot cover it until the conversion is complete.

So I hung up and called right back on my house phone!! I told the guy "I bought a bus and want to insure it for personal use." He asked what personal use I intended with it, I said "Occasional travel with my family. I have 5 kids who bicker, so now they can spread out!!"

Long story short I now have Progressive Commercial insurance, liability only, for $244/year!!

MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What state are you in? National General insured mine during conversion in California.

The problem with Progressive is that as soon as you turn a screw you have violated their terms. You got a better deal than I did from them, but for my purposes that was just a big waste of money
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

I'm in MN. At no point in the conversation did he ask me if I would be converting it or working on it. He asked how many seats it has, I said it supposedly seats 77, for now. I didn't give any false info, and he didn't tell me not to work on it. I just avoided specifically telling him I would be converting to an RV.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Progressive lied to you if they said they would insure after it's converted. They absolutely will not insure any converted school bus anymore.
Getting commercial insurance is easy for just about everyone. The issue is commercial policy is usually much more expensive than an RV policy. I pay $4.11 month for liability on mine, can't get any cheaper than that.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Skoolie

Sorry, I mispoke. They did not say they would cover it once it's converted, the 1st lady told me they wouldn't cover it if I had even the intention of converting it.

RV liability insurance is the end goal, post conversion. But for now I'm just glad to have ANY insurance to make me legal-ish!
Old 07-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
Sorry, I mispoke. They did not say they would cover it once it's converted, the 1st lady told me they wouldn't cover it if I had even the intention of converting it.

RV liability insurance is the end goal, post conversion. But for now I'm just glad to have ANY insurance to make me legal-ish!
Be sure to read your policy front-to-back, every word. If it doesn't contain language explicitly forbidding a conversion, it will likely mention some variant of "undisclosed risk" voiding the policy (my RV policy with Allstate contains such language).

You possibly have just acquired insurance that is sufficient only for meeting your state's legal requirements for having your vehicle insured, but will not pay out in the case of any accident you're responsible for. The fact that they told you explicitly they don't cover conversions is a bad sign.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:23 PM   #7
Skoolie

My main goal is to meet the legal requirement for the few times my bus will be driven during the conversion. As soon as it meets the requirements for an RV I will transfer the policy to an RV policy, or cancel it and go with a new company. Do you know of any company that offers insurance on an unconverted bus while it's being worked on? I know this isn't the best policy for after the bus is done, but it meets the minimum legal standard for me to be on the road a couple times.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
My main goal is to meet the legal requirement for the few times my bus will be driven during the conversion. As soon as it meets the requirements for an RV I will transfer the policy to an RV policy, or cancel it and go with a new company. Do you know of any company that offers insurance on an unconverted bus while it's being worked on? I know this isn't the best policy for after the bus is done, but it meets the minimum legal standard for me to be on the road a couple times.
Allstate gave me RV insurance from the get-go, as soon as I had it registered in Vermont as a motorhome. They were fully aware it's a school bus, with pictures and everything. It's liability-only until the conversion is finished.

But Allstate seems weird at the moment, as many people are reporting they're getting turned down, so I dunno. It may just have to do with the state and/or the agent.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I renewed this year progressive actually asked me if the bus was converted or BEING converted.. I said nope! it has seats and always will have seats (which is the truth) and they said no problem and renewed.. but its the first time they specifically asked about conversion.. previously they asked me if my bus was still a bus, and that was it.. then they asked if my declared value was still the same.. (I run declared value since ive done all the drivetrain mods.. which they seemed to have no issue with when i raised the value due to modifed engine and transmission.. receipts for parts and such on file)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote