Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 28ft
Vermont or Florida registration?

Hi skoolie friends!

The search seems like it's finally over! Excited to finally be joining the community. Can't wait to share pics of the bus soon

Here's the nitty gritty:
  • current state of the bus: "fully converted" according to insurance bc there's a sink, toilet, and electric
  • we're currently residing in NJ
    • have access to addresses that will allow us to register/insure here but we've heard it's a nightmare so not doing that
  • my permanent address is in FL
  • picking up the bus around southeast ME
    • pending a diesel mechanic inspection, we'll do a signing a bill of sale, have the title in hand, and registration as a motorhome
    • current owners will let us use their plates until we get our own
  • items pending: insurance policy, registration/title in our name
  • in the works: reached out to Kelly Newsome's office and got Lisa. waiting to get a policy written up for Fl, getting a Good Sam policy for towing (necessary?)
Questions:
  • any advantage of registering in VT versus FL? I will go to the thread for Florida registration, but I think with it being converted, the process is different. Is that correct?
  • do I need a VIN check? trust the seller, they bought it from a VA school district
  • any diesel mechanics around southeast Maine that are available this weekend?
  • I plan on using the pre-buy inspection checklists posted here (1, 2, 3, there's many more I've found during the research phase) to inform my conversation with whoever helps look over the bus, anything else I should ask? (does anyone know where the original link for this spreadsheet came from? would like to thank them)
  • any other insurance agents I can contact to weigh my pricing options? I'm looking for complete coverage
Thank you for reading, all advice/critique welcome. Can't wait to continue this journey with you all!

kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #2

Following.
G33klibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote